This made me shed a tear... or five.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 20 Dec 2020

Happened on a treat last night on Channel 4 (6.30 – 8.20) – Barenboim on Beethoven: The Lost Tapes.

“The original series was commissioned in 1969 by Granada TV to mark the 200th anniversary of Beethoven’s birth. At the time, only six out of 13 episodes from the series  ….  were shown on television.” Quote from the Irish Times.

Near the beginning they showed Barenboim and his wife Jacqueline du Pre playing the first movement of one of Beethoven’s cello sonatas. Knowing that her career would end in a few years’ time at 28 with multiple sclerosis, I found it almost unbearable to watch as the cellist played with her trademark emotional intensity. What a terrible loss, but what a legacy she left.

Neither the sound nor picture quality were up to modern standards, but I find Barenboim an irresistible listen, both his spoken words and his playing. His analysis of Beethoven’s oeuvre was fascinating, and even for someone (me) who knows nothing about the technicalities of music, understandable and enlightening. It made me realise I haven’t played (CDs, I hasten to add) Beethoven’s late sonatas for several weeks, or even months. It also reminded me of what a titan of the keyboard Barenboim was and remains. As child prodigy, he could play from memory all 32 sonatas - which apparently takes around 11 hours to complete - at the age of about 12 years.

Robert Durran 20 Dec 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Yes, an excellent refuge yesterday evening from the appalling Strictly.

This 3 part documentary series on Beethoven is absolutely superb: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m000kqq4/being-beethoven 1

OP Rog Wilko 20 Dec 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

Yes, I saw that when it was first broadcast. Excellent.

Jon Stewart 20 Dec 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Near the beginning they showed Barenboim and his wife Jacqueline du Pre playing the first movement of one of Beethoven’s cello sonatas. 

Yes, wonderful. Thanks for the recommendation (although my mum recommended it too).

veteye 20 Dec 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Damn. I forgot. I think that I heard about it on Front Row on Radio 4.

It does sound excellent.

Bobling 21 Dec 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks for the reminder.  I should watch this.  

A while ago I wanted to listen to the Elgar Cello Concerto and youtubes gave me this link, I'd intended to just listen but was mesmerised and was glued the whole thing, JDP plays like a woman possessed...

youtube.com/watch?v=OPhkZW_jwc0&

OP Rog Wilko 21 Dec 2020
In reply to veteye:

Are you tooled up for doing catch up with you TV? I don't know if you know but there is a Channel 4 streaming service called All4. Alternatively you may find you can download the All4 app onto a computer and watch it that way.

Sean Kelly 21 Dec 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Yes, wonderful wasn't it. Watched while mrs indulged in her diet of 'Strictly'!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...