There's nothing on TV!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 26 Jan 2018

There’s nothing to watch on TV! In recent years I’ve often said this, complaining that there’s nothing that will keep me rooted to my armchair for an hour or so without my mind turning to other things I might be doing with my time, and quite soon getting up to do them. TV seemed full of endless repetitive programmes about cooking, buying houses, dancing or singing, not to mention football and of course drama, which seemed to have turned increasingly nasty and unpleasant, even shocking, to watch. Then there are the actors whose aim at realism seems to consist largely of mumbling totally inaudible dialogue. And there was me thinking acting was about communication.

But wait! Catch-up TV has arrived along with dramas which manage to be gripping without depending on violence with knives, guns or bare fists. Doctor Foster, The A Word, Kiri, Happy Valley all became unmissable. Even that, for me, no-go genre, humour and sitcom is beginning to need looking at afresh. While I can’t even have Mrs Brown’s Boys on the screen for more than a few microseconds, my sister recently pointed out to me Derry Girls on Channel 4. I don’t think I’ve ever spent so much time with tears of laughter streaming down my cheeks while watching TV, or possibly anything else. I spent a short time teaching in a girl’s convent school, and I feel I know those girls personally. Episode three in particular was hysterically funny to me. Anyone else feel the same?

Removed User 26 Jan 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Possibly not up your street, but I recently discovered Inside No.9, and thought it was so good I watched all of them on iplayer over the festive break. My goodness what a brilliantly executed series, only a couple of moderately weak episodes and a few masterpieces. I haven't really done telly for decades but this is special. This week's episode was outstanding, if darker than black. It reminds me of Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected which I watched when I was wee.

BenedictIEP 26 Jan 2018
In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse:

Just started watching this. Absolutely captivating so far. Especially S1E2 

Trangia 26 Jan 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

And don't forget Netflix!!

"Peaky Blinders"

"The Crown"

for starters.........

PS How do you do italics on here?

Removed User 26 Jan 2018
In reply to BenedictIEP:

That is probably my favourite. 

The Riddle of The Sphinx, Sardines, The Trial of Elizabeth Gadge and this week's ep are also contenders. The Devil of Christmas might be the most shocking. 

The most perfectly crafted piece of TV drama I've seen in donkey's.

Post edited at 19:55
OP Rog Wilko 26 Jan 2018
In reply to Trangia:

> PS How do you do italics on here?

Copy & paste a word doc.

Removed User 26 Jan 2018
In reply to Trangia:

> PS How do you do italics on here?

There is a new(ish) bar at the top of the Reply window with bold and italic buttons, much like any Word/Pages bar.

Trangia 27 Jan 2018
In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse:

> There is a new(ish) bar at the top of the Reply window with bold and italic buttons, much like any Word/Pages bar.

Thanks!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...