Theme for Great Cities

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

What a tune! Heard it when I was a youth, just rediscovered it,  forgot who created it. The best Simple Minds track by a country mile and years ahead of its time. Could have been a mid 2010s daft punk floor filler.

Can't stop playing it, really loudly.

Post edited at 22:10
 Nige M 08 Jan 2021
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

I Travel (extended)

wynaptomos 09 Jan 2021

They were a great band in their early years but just totally lost the plot.

Enty 09 Jan 2021

Absolutely smashing tune.

And for the House heads amongst us, someone did have the idea of filling dance floors with it back in 89. Still in my all time top 10:

youtube.com/watch?v=mMo_AEFJbiM&

Thanks,

E

In reply to Nige M:

> I Travel (extended)

Thanks for that,  just checked it out. Nice to learn something new.

In reply to Enty:

Totally,  and doesn't need much 'improving'.

Alex@home 09 Jan 2021

You made me put Life in a Day on earlier for the first time in many years. What a brilliant album it is. Someone is such a confident way to open your debut album. Bet they were great live then

Mike-W-99 10 Jan 2021

First band I ever properly got into. Initially from the stadium rock stuff before discovering the more interesting back catalog. 
Great interview here https://thequietus.com/articles/08040-simple-minds-jim-kerr-interview-5x5

Post edited at 09:45
 flaneur 10 Jan 2021
In reply to Alex@home:

> Bet they were great live then

I saw them for the New Gold World Tour in 82. Cost £4 which wasn't cheap, same as The Clash who were huge in comparison at the time. I was a great fan of the earlier LPs discussed here but Jim Kerr strutted around the stage doing a pale imitation of Bowie and it put me right off them.  The subsequent stadium rock tw*ttery came as no surprise. 

Alex@home 10 Jan 2021
In reply to flaneur:

I was too young for that. Saw them once in about 89 at Wembley arena and they were barely going through the motions by then. I was thinking about the energy in their first album and how it should have translated to a live performance but maybe it didn't. Maybe Jim Kerr always had that attitude on stage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...