The Yardbirds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tringa 22 Jan 2023

I listened to an edtion of the Radio 4 programme 'Last Word' a few days ago.

For those who do not know the programme provides comment about the lives and opinion from those who knew recently deceased people.

Understandably one of the person featured in this edition was Jeff Beck.

The lead guitarist of the Yardbirds(Eric Clapton) had left and he recommended another player(Jimmy Page) to replace him. He could not/did not want to so recommended Jeff Beck instead.

I wonder how many groups have had the possibility of such talent.

Dave

Iamgregp 22 Jan 2023
In reply to Tringa:

John Mayalls Bluesbreakers arguably had even more talent pass through…

Another group who never really hit the big time themselves, but where a lot of players who would go on to achieve greatness cut their chops.

OP Tringa 22 Jan 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

> John Mayalls Bluesbreakers arguably had even more talent pass through…

> Another group who never really hit the big time themselves, but where a lot of players who would go on to achieve greatness cut their chops.

Yes,

I will, very happily, give you that one - many years of talent. Must have a listen to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues_Breakers_with_Eric_Clapton again.

Dave

Iamgregp 22 Jan 2023
In reply to Tringa:

Happy to have reminded you of them! If I’m honest after I posted that I googled it and had forgotten about half the names who passed through. What an absolute wealth of talent, many of whom I hadn’t realised played with them. 

The Beano album is an absolutely fantastic album, I inherited the original vinyl pressing from my Dad and treasure it greatly. 

There’s a few others from that scene that also never really became household names, but played with many who did. Zoot Money, The Graham Bond Organisation, Alexis Korner, Long John Baldry… Guess that’s what comes from it being small and very close scene at that time.

OP Tringa 23 Jan 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

I still have my vinyl copy I bought is about 1968/9.

Disgressing a bit one other name that comes to mind of someone who had an illustrious though largely anonymous career and was very well thought of by many better known artists was the late session pianist Nicky Hopkins.

Dave

Bob Kemp 23 Jan 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

> Guess that’s what comes from it being small and very close scene at that time.

Mulling over this it seems to me that to get bands with a lot of standout musicians passing through you need very particular circumstances. A close-knit scene is part of this; then you need a repertoire that’s well known and easy for musicians to slot into. The British blues boom was ideal, giving a set of familiar songs and a pretty standard musical structure. I wonder if the way music making has changed so much makes it harder for this to happen now?

Sean Kelly 23 Jan 2023
In reply to Tringa:

> Yes,

> I will, very happily, give you that one - many years of talent. Must have a listen to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues_Breakers_with_Eric_Clapton again.

> Dave

My first ever LP that I purchased for 12/6 many moons ago!

pec 23 Jan 2023
In reply to Tringa:

> I wonder how many groups have had the possibility of such talent.

The odd thing about the Yardbirds is that despite having had three legendary guitarists play for them who all went on to make some fantastic music, the Yardbirds themselves were crap!

Ok, I know a lot of people say they were influenced by them at the time but their music hasn't stood the test of time well.

Just my opinion of course but how often have you ever met anyone in the last 40 years claiming to be a big fan of them?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...