The Wickerman....original.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 27 May 2021
Thread moved from Off Belay to Culture Bunker

Finished work at 2 today....went for a walk up shining torr....had a few beers and watched this film!

What an awesome film.....

Blue Straggler 27 May 2021
In reply to abr1966:

I like the cringeworthy body stockings , and Christopher Lee poncing about in a mauve frock 

Dave the Rave 27 May 2021
In reply to abr1966:

One of my very favourites. Britt Ekland slapping her own arse trying to entice the copper....

A quite harrowing, believable and dark film.

OP abr1966 28 May 2021
In reply to Dave the Rave:

A great moment.....apparently it was a body double!! 

Blue Straggler 28 May 2021

Harrowing yes (the “reveal” at the start of the finale is powerful) but “believable” and “dark”? Nope. It’s campy Grand Guignol. And that is not an insult! 

alan moore 28 May 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

>  but “believable” and “dark”? Nope. 

Depends where you live......

Message Removed 28 May 2021
Reason: inappropriate content
 Bobling 28 May 2021
In reply to abr1966:

When I lived in Oxford we used to go out to the pub for May morning, have a couple then come home carry on drinking and watch this.  Big soft spot for it.  Waking up on Sunday afternoon with a hangover was less pleasant.

The sound track's fab, I love the initial seagull cry, aircraft noise, pipe drone and then vocals: 

youtube.com/watch?v=XbHExrZxF3o&

I think it is believable, perhaps not in the timeline it is set in but the idea of human sacrifice for the greater good of the community is reasonably commonplace?

Message Removed 28 May 2021
Reason: inappropriate content
 Dave the Rave 28 May 2021

I live in a small town and one New Year’s Eve was accosted in the pub by a local dressed in a real dead horses head with working jaw.

Apparently it’s buried next door to my father in laws and comes out for New Year’s Eve.

mrphilipoldham 28 May 2021
In reply to abr1966:

I haven’t watched it since a-level film studies 18 years ago, saw enough of it then.. but I’ve just got a hankering to watch it again. That’s tonight sorted, ta!

Tom Valentine 28 May 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Avoid the remake . It's not an improvement.

Rob Oram 28 May 2021
In reply to abr1966:

An excellent film! I recently watched the Jude Law TV series Third Day and thought it had echoes of the Wicker Man.....

BenSends 28 May 2021
In reply to Rob Oram:

I tried several times to finish this series and it was a real slog for me!

BenSends 28 May 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Have you seen the film Midsommar? it has the same cult feel to it. I loved it (many didn't).

steveriley 28 May 2021
In reply to BenSends:

Agree on the similarities but found it hard work. More admirable than enjoyable. 

I used to stay in a holiday house around the corner from the Kirkcudbright scenes. Didn’t linger.

Blue Straggler 28 May 2021
In reply to alan moore, Bobling and Dave:

Fair enough, point taken!

toad 28 May 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Avoid the remake . It's not an improvement.

NOT THE BEES!!!

yorkshireman 28 May 2021

> A quite harrowing, believable and dark film.

It's a while since I've seen it but it's set in Scotland and the sun is always out and I don't remember people getting devoured by midgies!

toad 28 May 2021
In reply to yorkshireman:

It's the smoke from burning policemen. It's better than a citronella candle

Fat Bumbly2 28 May 2021
In reply to toad:

I have heard that Woodward had no spoilers. His character’s terror was real

Blue Straggler 31 May 2021
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

what, like  he was given a totally different script and every time he is in peril he thinks it real? and actually thought he was going to be burned in a wicker man? 

In reply to BenSends:

I loved Midsommar, it has some little plot holes but still a strong 9/10, and a better film than The Wicker Man. 

Rich L 31 May 2021

> what, like  he was given a totally different script and every time he is in peril he thinks it real? and actually thought he was going to be burned in a wicker man? 

The Wicker Man (1973) On his off days, Edward Woodward was repeatedly asked if he wanted to go to the spot where the climax was to be shot to see the Wicker Man structure, he declined every time, preferring to see it for the first time when the scene was shot. So, Woodward saw the structure for the first time as Howie was dragged over the top of the hill. Howie's iconic cry of "O, GOD! O, JESUS CHRIST!" was half Howie, half Woodward. As the cameras were moved around to film the burning scene, Woodward asked director Robin Hardy if he was actually going to be put into the Wicker Man, which Hardy answered in the affirmative. As he was carried up the steps to the structure's midsection by Ian Campbell (Oak), Woodward repeatedly told Campbell, "Don't you drop me! Don't you dare drop me!", with Campbell laughingly reassuring that he wouldn't. Then came the burning scene. Woodward repeatedly said that in his entire career, which spanned over six decades, he was never more scared than when he was inside the Wicker Man as it burned, telling British film critic Mark Kermode in an interview that his terror forced him to "act his socks off." https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070917/trivia?item=tr2830630

Timmd 31 May 2021
In reply to Rich L:

It seems reality isn't as binary as either thinking he was going to be burned for real, or not having any real terror. That's an interesting read.

Post edited at 03:09
In reply to Rich L:

Somewhat different to the near-gibberish posted by Fat Bumbly 2 then 😃

Gibberish is harsh. “Disingenuous” was what I meant. 

Toccata 01 Jun 2021
In reply to Rich L:

I believe several animals died during the burning. Not very controlled.

I love the film and found the directors cut on DVD. The original release bombed in the US so it was edited to remove c 25 minutes and tighten up the story. Much of the cut footage fills in what we have to infer and I think the shortened version is better due to maintaining the mystery of what's going on.

Blue Straggler 01 Jun 2021
In reply to Toccata:

Yes I must say that when I saw the Director's Cut it added nothing except running time! There's probably a good reason that Robin Hardy didn't become a household name...

Bulls Crack 01 Jun 2021
In reply to abr1966:

I'm sure it used to be regarded as being  absolute pap! 

Euge 01 Jun 2021
In reply to BenSends:

Love Midsommar, watched it a few times now.

Went back and re-visited The Wickerman recently and wish I didn't

In reply to Euge:

> Love Midsommar, watched it a few times now.

I bought the DVD a year ago and am still working up the courage to watch it again! 

Fat Bumbly2 01 Jun 2021

That is also rather harsh.  Need for that?

In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

“Disingenuous” isn’t harsh at all! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...