The Old Grey Whistle Test

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 27 Sep 2019

Those were the days, enjoying the occasional re-runs on BBC4

subtle 27 Sep 2019
In reply to kevin stephens:

Do you think in 20years time they will be looking back and remanicing about say Taylor Swift?

graeme jackson 27 Sep 2019

Just said to the wife I can name just about every musician on there but I don't have a clue who's in the charts right now.

In reply to subtle:

its more like 40 years!

elsewhere 27 Sep 2019
In reply to subtle:

> Do you think in 20years time they will be looking back and remanicing about say Taylor Swift?

Yes. When her fans are older her fans will be just as nostalgic for their youth as those currently nostalgic for the old grey whistle test. 

In reply to elsewhere:

I Don't agree.  TOGWT has just finished, next up is TOTP from the 80s which I won't be staying up for, and that was much better than Taylor Swift

subtle 27 Sep 2019

It's an age thing 

elsewhere 27 Sep 2019

Why don't you think her fans will follow the usual pattern of harking back to their youth?

PS don't you remember your elders slagging off the music of your youth.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

subtle 27 Sep 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

> plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Can't have that, it's Brexit, were taking back control so English only please 

The one constant in my life has been Kylie, except nowadays people don't take that to be Ms  Minogue, I just don't understand 

The New NickB 27 Sep 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

You are right, but of course you are in the grumpy old men zone, so your correctness won't be acknowledged.

elsewhere 27 Sep 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

Let's think about Kylie and we will all be happier. 

John Ww 28 Sep 2019
In reply to subtle:

Hope so, because I like Taylor Swift (well ok, I like her earlier stuff).

Ceiriog Chris 28 Sep 2019

A  long time ago when I used to wear a green suit for a living I did 6 months  in Belize and we took turns there to run the workshop bar, Whispering Bob at the time was dong some work for BFBS and came out to Belize, we had a function on one night and as he was there and was invited,  we were busy and he offered to give me a hand behind the bar,  he ended up helping me  all night, and was amazed at my knowledge of the OGWT and  all things prog ,I remember at the time a  lot of the guys being into Celine Dilon !!!! ) which horrified Bob as much as me,  a great night which went on until the early hours 

BnB 28 Sep 2019
In reply to subtle:

> Do you think in 20years time they will be looking back and remanicing about say Taylor Swift?

I don’t know about them, but I will!

Pero 29 Sep 2019

> its more like 40 years!

It's nearer 50 years in some cases!

colinakmc 29 Sep 2019

My millennial stepsons both started on Zeppelin, Who, CSNY, etc after listening to my collection. They missed out on Cream....

mountainbagger 29 Sep 2019

> Those were the days, enjoying the occasional re-runs on BBC4

Yes, me too.

Who knew Sir Ilyn Payne from Game of Thrones was Wilko Johnson from Dr Feelgood?

Look him up on t'internet - very interesting life and battle with cancer. He says some interesting things about hearing he was going to die (spoiler: he didn't).

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/wilko-johnson-cancer-interview

Edit: added link to article in GQ

Post edited at 22:24
 FactorXXX 29 Sep 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

> Yes. When her fans are older her fans will be just as nostalgic for their youth as those currently nostalgic for the old grey whistle test. 

What's the betting that in 20 years time, the likes of Bowie, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Queen, Floyd, etc. will still be hailed as all time greats, but the likes of Swift will have been totally forgotten about?

In reply to mountainbagger:

I saw Dr Feelgood with Wilko Johnson and Lee Brilleaux at University around 1974, and again in Perth WA around 1982. Great band.

Lusk 30 Sep 2019
In reply to subtle:

I still spin a Jason Donovan now and again

Siward 01 Oct 2019
In reply to Lusk:

Is that some sort of euphemism?

graeme jackson 01 Oct 2019
In reply to mountainbagger:

> Who knew Sir Ilyn Payne from Game of Thrones was Wilko Johnson from Dr Feelgood?

Errm... Everyone. Even those of us who've only seen part of an episode knew that.

edit. Wilko supported the Quo in Glasgow 4 or 5 years ago. Issues with the lighting rig meant his set was shortened to 20 minutes. I'd have gven up a good hour of the Quo to let Wilko carry on. Had Norman Watt-roy on bass. Two of the ugliest guys in showbusiness but boy were they good.

Post edited at 15:50

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...