The Looming Tower

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 krikoman 11 Nov 2019

Just in case anyone needed a box set to view, I can recommend this. I had taped it when it was on but only just got around to watching.

The interrogation scenes are a bit shit, it's all a bit too easy, but other than that it worth a watch.

It's also quite informative how the US agencies "work" and the politics behind some decisions. A lot of people don't come out of it too well.

Also some stuff I didn't know about, but have checked and read up on since.

TobyA 11 Nov 2019
In reply to krikoman:

Wright's original book was excellent, particularly considering when it was written. I watched the TV version on Amazon earlier this year, but I don't think I watched to the last couple of episodes - might go back and finish it, but overall I'd say read the book over watch the series.

OP krikoman 11 Nov 2019
In reply to TobyA:

> Wright's original book was excellent, particularly considering when it was written. I watched the TV version on Amazon earlier this year, but I don't think I watched to the last couple of episodes - might go back and finish it, but overall I'd say read the book over watch the series.

The books are usually better, but I never have time to read  a book. I'd like to read Ali Soufan's books but I already have  stack of other books to plough through first.

Tom Valentine 11 Nov 2019
In reply to krikoman:

By the end of it I was liking the Saarsgard character better than that of Jeff Daniels. 

OP krikoman 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> By the end of it I was liking the Saarsgard character better than that of Jeff Daniels. 

Come on Tom, really? you've surprised me

Tom Valentine 11 Nov 2019
In reply to krikoman:

I don't expect I would say that about the real life characters from what I've read about them but as far as the drama goes I thought O'Neill was an arrogant cock-happy boor whereas the slightly geeky Alec station boss , while not actually being likeable,  was more my type of person.

Post edited at 16:36
 Bob Bennett 11 Nov 2019
In reply to krikoman:

Brilliant ,well acted series!

kipper12 12 Nov 2019
In reply to krikoman:

What I found most disappointing was that if the agencies had worked together more, there may have been a chance of foiling the attacks. 

Offwidth 13 Nov 2019
In reply to kipper12:

I thought the big take-away of the series was the CIA and FBI were at the time incapable of working properly together, due to conflicing missions and that everything was subservient to the main US political agenda (especially at the end, where team Bush were initially too distracted from the risk, and then after, they cynically deflected away from the collective guilt of their allied Saudis and turned anger on Iraq). If the US had stopped this particular terrible terrorist attack, another would probably have happened given the disfunctional structures of the time. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...