The Last of Us

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bobling 08 Jan 2023

Well I can't see another thread has been posted so here goes.

The Last of Us was hands down the game that has been dearest to my heart over the last 10 years.  I played it when I had two tiny kids and life was very busy.  Over about a year I would come to it on a Friday night when I had time, generally about 11.00 p.m., and I'd play for an hour or so.  I gradually worked my way through the whole thing, all the terror (some bits I'd ask my OH to stay up while I played), the beauty (Oh! The giraffes!), the drawers (another Fireflies token, screw that give me ammo!) and the cut scenes.  I nursed my poor PS3 through the experience as it struggled to give what the game designers asked. 

A few months after I finished I went to see my bro in the US and the first morning out of our accomodation I went for a walk and was blown away when I heard the bird song sounding exactly like it had in the game.

A couple of days ago I saw a huge bill-board in town with an ad for what I assumed was a film, but I now realise is the series.

I've just seen the trailer.  Pedro Pascal plays Joel.  The theme is Take on me.  Holy moly, could it be as good as the game?

My benchmark is the Walking Dead, I was so excited when I heard that would be serialised, but tapped out about half way through the second series.  The comics were so much better.

So UKC, anyone else watching with the same mix of excitement and pleasedontf*ckitupery as me? TC I'm looking at you : )

pencilled in 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Bobling: I’m certainly attracted to it, but only because it reminded me of my favourite Cormac McCarthy novel, The Road. I never played the game, which is a shame as you write about it so well. The cast looks good, but I don’t have Sky.  I hope you enjoy it. 

ThunderCat 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Bobling:

To say I'm looking forward to it is an understatement 😂. Have just finished another play through in preparation. 

It's simply an amazing game and I still get  a bit choked up at the opening scenes which seems a bit silly for a grown up bloke to say. 

And yeah, amid all of the chaos, horror, death and terror, the giraffe scene..... Wow. What a sweet, perfect interlude.

The Norris 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Bobling:

Yes I'm really looking forward to it, both games are absolutely amazing,exactly what I want in a game, edge of your seat stuff, incredible story and lots of exploring in a beautiful world. Part 2 got me through lock down, might have to have another run through part 1.

Edit, grr it's on sky... guess I won't be watching it any time soon!

Post edited at 07:29
 ThunderCat 09 Jan 2023
In reply to pencilled in:

> I’m certainly attracted to it, but only because it reminded me of my favourite Cormac McCarthy novel, The Road. I never played the game, which is a shame as you write about it so well. The cast looks good, but I don’t have Sky.  I hope you enjoy it. 

I'd recommend having a quick look at a walkthrough of the game, get a flavour of it.  (obviously not the whole thing unless you've got a couple of days spare )

There's a clip of a bunch of older folk (totally non video gamers by the look of them), playing along the opening scenes which is quite funny / sweet to watch

ThunderCat 09 Jan 2023
In reply to The Norris:

> Yes I'm really looking forward to it, both games are absolutely amazing,exactly what I want in a game, edge of your seat stuff, incredible story and lots of exploring in a beautiful world. Part 2 got me through lock down, might have to have another run through part 1.

In terms of the second one, there's a particular bit that I still get anxiety about reaching.  Won't go into too much spoiler detail...but 'ground zero' / back of the ambulance?  It took me ages to get past that bit and every time I replay it and get near it, I feel my heart beat start to pick up the pace a bit.  

Awful (in a good way)

Post edited at 08:58
OP Bobling 09 Jan 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

Well, after washing the hall floor I've given myself a treat and resurrected part II.  I'd got about three hours in but hadn't touched it for about a year due to *other stuff* drawing my attention.  Decision point - restart or carry on from my save?  Restart.  HARD mode : )  I've not got to the bit you refer to TC, I think I'm looking forward to it haha!

God it's beautiful, the first scenes with Joel playing the guitar for Ellie touch my heart,  the parent clumsily telling their kid (I know, but she kind of is really) that they love them.  Now I'm a snowball fight in and heading out into the big wild world.

It goes well with the theme of Dry January too - I find it just too hard to play if I have had a drink.

ThunderCat 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Bobling:

> Well, after washing the hall floor I've given myself a treat and resurrected part II.  I'd got about three hours in but hadn't touched it for about a year due to *other stuff* drawing my attention.  Decision point - restart or carry on from my save?  Restart.  HARD mode : )  I've not got to the bit you refer to TC, I think I'm looking forward to it haha!

So you've not finished it yet?  You've never hit the part I was referring to?  

I envy you

OP Bobling 09 Jan 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

Nope : ) Looking forward to it!  I hope it's not any more scary than the bit in the hotel basement when you turn the generator on as I don't think I can take anything worse than that.

ThunderCat 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Bobling:

Ooof.... Let me know when you hit it 😂

The Norris 09 Jan 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

Yeah I remember that bit being very tough and scary! There's a few brutal bits near the end which stick in my mind.

Great game. I'll definitely be picking up the ol controller again soon I think.

ThunderCat 09 Jan 2023

> I’m certainly attracted to it, but only because it reminded me of my favourite Cormac McCarthy novel, The Road. I never played the game, which is a shame as you write about it so well. The cast looks good, but I don’t have Sky.  I hope you enjoy it. 

Dug out the clip of the opening scenes with the elderly guys playing out for the first time

youtube.com/watch?v=2Ep8f-ChSbE&

I'd this doesn't kick you in the feels, then you're devoid of humanity 😂

When the game came out, a lot of people were comparing it to The Road. I've never read the book but have seen the film and it definitely takes inspiration from it.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the story in the TV series. I have played through the original 4 times and I'm not sure if I want them to stick to that story, or diverge to tell their own story so that I'm not just seeing the same thing again (why make a copy of something that is already great, when they could do something great of their own).

I played through the second one last year and it is certainly a gut-wrenching story, but I think I prefer the original overall. 

And yes...the giraffes! Who knew that just seeing some animals in a video game could be such a memorably emotional moment?!

When the game came out, a lot of people were comparing it to The Road. I've never read the book but have seen the film and it definitely takes inspiration from it.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the story in the TV series. I have played through the original 4 times and I'm not sure if I want them to stick to that story, or diverge to tell their own story so that I'm not just seeing the same thing again (why make a copy of something that is already great, when they could do something great of their own).

I played through the second one last year and it is certainly a gut-wrenching story, but I think I prefer the original overall. 

And yes...the giraffes! Who knew that just seeing some animals in a video game could be such a memorably emotional moment?!

ThunderCat 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Byronius Maximus:

> And yes...the giraffes! Who knew that just seeing some animals in a video game could be such a memorably emotional moment?!

Yeah.  That bit is blended in with the music so well.

RX-78 09 Jan 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

That was fun to watch. Never played the game and haven't  played computer/video games for a looong time. The series would want to have something special to separate it from the millions of zombie themed TV out there, especially on Netflix where the number of series is probably larger than the zombie hordes in world war z. 

Dax H 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Bobling:

I'm not looking forward to it, every game, comic or book that I have ever seen turned in to a movie or a series hasn't held up to thd original media. Possibly with the exception of the Hig Farther. 

The director always seems to think they can take something that hundreds of thousands if not millions of people love and improve it. No you can't, leave it alone exactly how the original writer did it because that's when we fell in love with, not your spin on it. 

ThunderCat 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Dax H:

I have a good feeling about this one... 

OP Bobling 09 Jan 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

Thanks for that had a half hearted look when you first mentioned it but gave up, - coo I'd forgotten that opening, I was watching it thinking "Huh I was wrong, Joel IS her dad, why did I think he wasn't?".  Ouch.

OP Bobling 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Dax H:

> I'm not looking forward to it, every game, comic or book that I have ever seen turned in to a movie or a series hasn't held up to thd original media. Possibly with the exception of the Hig Farther. 

> The director always seems to think they can take something that hundreds of thousands if not millions of people love and improve it. No you can't, leave it alone exactly how the original writer did it because that's when we fell in love with, not your spin on it. 

Yeah same, with the possible exception of the first Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings film.  I live in hope though, I mean Pedro Pascal and Take on Me?

In reply to Dax H:

I can understand your concern but for some reason I feel optimistic. I think Neil Druckman, the creative director from the games, has been pretty heavily involved so that bodes well at least.

Dax H 10 Jan 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

I hope you are correct. I have been burned too many times, sometimes 3rd degree, I'm looking at you Judge Dredd (1st one) 

Rampart 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Bobling:

>  with the possible exception of the first Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings film.

No exception from me - it was soft-focus piffle.

OP Bobling 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Bobling:

HARD mode was a mistake.

MisterPiggy 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Bobling:

The BBC thinks it's the dog's danglies.

Review here: https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20230109-the-last-of-us-review-the-best...

ThunderCat 16 Jan 2023
In reply to Bobling:

Reet then, it's here!!!!!!!!!!!!

Due to finish work at 3pm today, back home by about 5 and then I shall be having a gander.

ThunderCat 16 Jan 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Reet then, it's here!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Due to finish work at 3pm today, back home by about 5 and then I shall be having a gander.

I am pleased thus far! 

Stichtplate 16 Jan 2023
In reply to Bobling:

Half way through the first episode. Looks like a winner

streapadair 16 Jan 2023
In reply to The Norris:

> Edit, grr it's on sky... guess I won't be watching it any time soon!

If you reckon it's worth £6, you can sign up to NOWtv for a month, with the option of cancelling.

ThunderCat 17 Jan 2023
In reply to Stichtplate:

> Half way through the first episode. Looks like a winner

Bit of Depeche Mode on the outro too....

OP Bobling 17 Jan 2023
In reply to Bobling:

Argh - we have been otherwise engaged ever since it might be another day or two before we can watch!  Glad seems positive so far.

OP Bobling 21 Jan 2023
In reply to Bobling:

Ooh, that was very good.  Not sure I can fault it and very true to the game.  The last shot from the 1st episode of the wonky skyscrapers is one of my favourite bits of the game - shame the music turned up before the howls of the local wildlife were very audible. 

yorkshireman 22 Jan 2023
In reply to Bobling:

Waited all week as wife surprisingly said she was interested but was away all week on a work trip. I think maybe there was too much build up but I felt a little underwhelmed even though I was really looking forward to it. Anyway, I'm all for slow burn drama so happy to keep going. 

OP Bobling 23 Jan 2023
In reply to Bobling:

Next episode tonight!  Ah god, those tilted skyscapers, still remember the accidental save I did in there with minimal health and ammo, meant I had to replay one fight with 4 runners about 30 times, one false move and I was toast.  Very "Edge of Tomorrow"!

ThunderCat 23 Jan 2023
In reply to Bobling:

> Next episode tonight!  Ah god, those tilted skyscapers, still remember the accidental save I did in there with minimal health and ammo, meant I had to replay one fight with 4 runners about 30 times, one false move and I was toast.  Very "Edge of Tomorrow"!

It dropped in early this morning...I stayed in bed and watched it before starting work.

How very decadent of me.

Still loving it...

OP Bobling 24 Jan 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

Too tired to watch last night - I suspect this may be another Friday night effort for me, no spoilers please!  Glad to know you are enjoying it : )

Sharp 26 Jan 2023
In reply to Bobling:

There's an official HBO podcast that comes out after the show for anyone who's interested. First two were quite good, bit of behind the scenes info and it was a nice recap on the show hearing clips of the footage.

ThunderCat 30 Jan 2023
In reply to Bobling:

An afternoon snooze meant I was wide awake from 2am so I've just watched episode 3. Another great episode and an awesome bit of storytelling. 

OP Bobling 30 Jan 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

Good effort, like a kid at Christmas! Got to the second episode on Saturday night and really enjoyed it.  The bird flock crossing in front of the tilted skyscraper was right out of the game and made me very happy.  The kiss though brrrrr. Did anyone else notice the stuffed giraffe? Easter egg?

ThunderCat 30 Jan 2023
In reply to Bobling:

> Good effort, like a kid at Christmas! Got to the second episode on Saturday night and really enjoyed it.  The bird flock crossing in front of the tilted skyscraper was right out of the game and made me very happy.  The kiss though brrrrr. Did anyone else notice the stuffed giraffe? Easter egg?

I did not spot the giraffe, despite looking out for one... 

TechnoJim 01 Feb 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

I watched episode 3 last night, what a brilliant piece of television. 

RX-78 01 Feb 2023
In reply to TechnoJim:

Sounds like its better than the walking dead, i just started the first series of that and 6 episodes in I think i will stop and not bother with the rest of it.

ThunderCat 01 Feb 2023
In reply to TechnoJim:

> I watched episode 3 last night, what a brilliant piece of television. 

Couldn't agree more.. All that love and beauty amidst so much horror and terror, and a 20 year relationship crammed into just over an hour.  Brilliant

I've read a lot of reviews and comments about it and I was expecting a real ugly backlash about it, but I'm not really finding it.

bring on episode 4!

Levy_danny 02 Feb 2023
In reply to RX-78:

The first few seasons of the walking dead are well worth a watch then it goes   downhill quite badly. I couldn't bring myself to watch until the end so not sure if it picks  up again. The comics on the other hand are brilliant. 

OP Bobling 05 Feb 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

Crikey who gave you the downvote for that?!  Caught up with it last night.  A departure from the game (though I do seem to remember a survivalist called Bill but not this one) and really beautiful thought provoking stuff.  

*spoiler alert*

My one criticism is why the dude who has spent his whole life prepping and has all these well thought out defence mechanisms in place decides on the night they are attacked to:

a) Not wake up his buddy and tell him they are at code-red and to enact their well thought through and practiced plan.
b) Not have a plan that's been thought through and practiced.
c) This really grinds my gears - does he go to his prepared and stocked fighting position on the roof of the house? NO - he wanders over to the fence where he is totally unprotected and beautifully silhouetted by the flames and STANDS there taking pot shots from a standing unsupported firing position. No, no, NO! 

Anyway other than that was great : )

2 hours till TC watches the next one!

Post edited at 22:35
 ThunderCat 06 Feb 2023
In reply to Bobling:

> Crikey who gave you the downvote for that?!  Caught up with it last night.  A departure from the game (though I do seem to remember a survivalist called Bill but not this one) and really beautiful thought provoking stuff.  

> *spoiler alert*

> My one criticism is why the dude who has spent his whole life prepping and has all these well thought out defence mechanisms in place decides on the night they are attacked to:

> a) Not wake up his buddy and tell him they are at code-red and to enact their well thought through and practiced plan.

> b) Not have a plan that's been thought through and practiced.

> c) This really grinds my gears - does he go to his prepared and stocked fighting position on the roof of the house? NO - he wanders over to the fence where he is totally unprotected and beautifully silhouetted by the flames and STANDS there taking pot shots from a standing unsupported firing position. No, no, NO! 

> Anyway other than that was great : )

> 2 hours till TC watches the next one!

I have a secret stalker who dislikes pretty much everything I post, no matter how positive, supportive or benign it is. It doesn't bother me, I just feel a mixture of puzzlement and pity towards them.

But yeah, I agree about the Bill thing... Having all those extreme defensive measures and then not having an emergency plan in place and walking out like a sitting duck didn't make a lot of sense.

But I'm going to forgive them 😂. 

Just caught episode 4 and I think I know what's under that floor...i think it's a bloater...

Sharp 06 Feb 2023
In reply to Bobling:

Glad to know it wasn't just me shouting at Bill when he was stood in the middle of the street shooting. Although I loved the episode apart from that and couldn't quite keep dry eyes near the end.

I do wonder with shows like that, there's so much work that goes into them and so much research but often zero display of any tactical awareness. Surely they have technical advisors. You'd think with the survival genre, the situation would select survivors for the kinds of people who watch each other's back and don't just go off doing their own thing making as much noise as possible. I suppose it wouldn't make as good TV if characters thought, "nah, I'll just leave that basent be today".

Also, why isn't Joel giving Ellie a gun? Bill's house would have been the perfect place to teach her how to shoot safely instead of waiting till the inevitable SHTF scenario where Joel's in a tight spot and Ellie picks up the closest firearm and starts unloading rounds!

ThunderCat 06 Feb 2023
In reply to Sharp:

It was things like this that made me stop watching The Walking Dead. 

The walkers shambling around noisily, dragging limbs, groaning and slobbering... And yet the number of times one of the survivors would look to see a zombie had crept up on them and was nibbling their arm. 

Or... We are living in a world infested with thousands of these things, so let's make camp in a forest with a cheap little tent for protection and not post anyone on watch. Stuff that. I'll wait until we find a building with walls and stairs

Or... They're not making bullets anymore, so let's open fire on a zombie from 200 yards away with a handgun and waste all the ammo I've got in a single attack. 

Or... Guns in general! Yay! Knowing that these critters are attracted by sound, let's choose the quietest possible way of killing one that will in no way alert every other zombie within a half mile radius to your location. A gun! At least Michonne had the right idea and used a sword. Why didn't the others take her lead and start using blades?

Rant over. 

yorkshireman 06 Feb 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

> It was things like this that made me stop watching The Walking Dead. 

You can suspend your disbelief for undead humans to continue functioning for years with no form of energy conversion (disembodied heads would continue to bite for instance) or blood flow but traumatized people in a panic should make less than perfect tactical decisions is too much for you

Since the days of 24 we've always called it the Kim Bauer effect. Somebody in a drama will repeatedly make an irrational decision, despite knowing better and having being told by others, to inevitably put themselves in jeopardy simply as a plot device. 

ThunderCat 06 Feb 2023
In reply to yorkshireman:

> You can suspend your disbelief for undead humans to continue functioning for years with no form of energy conversion (disembodied heads would continue to bite for instance) or blood flow but traumatized people in a panic should make less than perfect tactical decisions is too much for you

Correct.  If we didn't have the ability to suspend our disbelief then I imagine quite a large chunk of fiction would never see the light of day.  

But there has to be some sort of consistency in how the protagonists deal with those situations - if they continue to behave in weird and wacky ways, then it ceases to make any sort of sense.

This is why I also hate musicals

Fat Bumbly2 06 Feb 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

The golf club. An elegant weapon for....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...