"The Goodfellas of figure skating"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 21 Feb 2018

I see that "I, Tonya" is released this weekend, and I am looking forward to it especially if there is as much "to camera" talking as the trailer suggests.

The trailer also uses a line from a review, which is virtually become the poster tagline
"The Goodfellas of figure skating".

This is just awful journalism from whoever wrote it but it reminded me that very often, bizarre lines from reviews are used in film promotion.

Anyone remember Twin Town?
"Wales' answer to Trainspotting", as if Trainspotting had been some sort of challenge from Scotland to Wales. 

So, your nominations please for most stupid review line thrown onto a movie poster, whether it's a bizarre juxtaposition such as "The Goodfellas of figure skating", or some bad writing (for the film Iris, they dug up "Kate Winslet's performance literally screams 'OSCAR'" )

another one you often see w.r.t acting, when the film is a biopic, is [ACTOR X] _IS_[real person Y]

e.g. "Meryl Streep IS Margaret Thatcher" (I don't think I ever saw that particular one, but it's a quick example)

Post edited at 13:14
 MonkeyPuzzle 21 Feb 2018
In reply to Blue Straggler:

[This film] is like [other film] on [drug]!

In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Ugh. Yes I've seen that, although I think my eyes and brain are conditioned to spot those posters before actually reading the words, so I avert my gaze

Connected: I don't mind "[OTHER FILM] meets [SOME OTHER OTHER FILM]" as long as it seems that it could be accurate, but a lot of time it is just lazy

e.g. "x meets The Matrix" just because there is an alternate reality aspect, or "Jason Bourne meets y", because Matt Damon punches someone during the trailer (Green Zone used "Bourne goes epic" as if Bourne's action escapades in various Euro, Africa and USA locations weren't already a bit epic)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...