The Fell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 20 Dec 2021

I’ve just been reading the review of a new novel called The Fell by Sarah Moss, which is set in the Peak District. It involves walking and perhaps a rescue, so I presume the title is referring to the word fell being used in its topographical meaning. But is the word fell used in this way in the Peak District? Without resort to map browsing I can’t think of any Fells. I believe the origin of the word is scandinavian, perhaps from the Norwegian fjell. Although scandinavian migrants reached across to west of the Pennines I hitherto believed they didn’t settle in the Peak.

Lankyman 20 Dec 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

As far as I'm aware, Rog the most southerly fell in Britain is Longridge Fell. If this is true then there are no fells in the Peak. I have heard of 'fell runners' being used to describe just about anyone who runs up hills but that's outside my experience.

Scandinavian settlement occurred all over Britain but I think the further south you go they were mainly Danes. Perhaps the Danes didn't use the word 'fell'? In the Lakes, Dales and Scotland they were largely of Norse origin and as you know fells are very common there.

Post edited at 14:05
In reply to Rog Wilko:

As you say, I can't think of a single Fell in the Peak.

steveriley 20 Dec 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

You may be right on the use of ‘fell’ further south but someone needs to tell Dark Peak Fell Runners they’re doing it all wrong. 

In reply to steveriley:

Fell Running is the name of a sport, like mountaineering. We don't call mountaineering in Scotland 'Ben Climbing' just because almost all the mountains are called Bens.

wilkie14c 20 Dec 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

The correct terminology for the peaks district is moor

😉 

OP Rog Wilko 20 Dec 2021
In reply to steveriley:

> You may be right on the use of ‘fell’ further south but someone needs to tell Dark Peak Fell Runners they’re doing it all wrong. 

Very good, this made me LOL. I'd forgotten about them.

OP Rog Wilko 20 Dec 2021
In reply to wilkie14c:

> The correct terminology for the peaks district is moor

> 😉 

Should be moors if it's peaks.

OP Rog Wilko 20 Dec 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Hi Karl,

your comment on Danes not using the word fell would probably be supported by the fact that the highest point in Denmark, ironically named Sky Mountain, boasts a height of 147 metres, making it 12 m lower than our beloved Arnside Knott.

In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Should be moors if it's peaks.

Or Moss.

DaveHK 20 Dec 2021
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Fell Running is the name of a sport, like mountaineering. We don't call mountaineering in Scotland 'Ben Climbing' just because almost all the mountains are called Bens.

We don't call it fell running in Scotland, we call it hill running. 

In reply to DaveHK:

> We don't call it fell running in Scotland, we call it hill running. 

Ah, that's interesting. I've never done either, sorry to admit.

Lankyman 21 Dec 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

> We don't call it fell running in Scotland, we call it hill running. 

Even in the Southern Uplands where there are lots of fells?

DaveHK 21 Dec 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> Even in the Southern Uplands where there are lots of fells?

Not to my knowledge. Club names, race names, official bodies are all hill rather than fell. The only exceptions would be if the hill was something fell like the Goatfell Race.

Post edited at 07:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...