The Cure, A Forest. 40th anniversary.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bobling 19 Sep 2020

youtube.com/watch?v=EHrHTuWm7WA&

Holy sh*tguns.  40 years ago.  Wow.  

Offwidth 19 Sep 2020
In reply to Bobling:

The years either side of 1980 were a great time to be a young music lover. Such an explosion of styles.

https://www.nme.com/bestalbumsandtracksoftheyear/1980-2-1045402

Post edited at 09:33
 steveriley 19 Sep 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

Quite a list that year 

webbo 19 Sep 2020
In reply to Bobling:

I bought their first single, well I think it was their first ” Killing an Arab”. I wonder how that would go down these days.

Post edited at 20:54
 Blue Straggler 19 Sep 2020
In reply to Bobling:

How long do they stretch out the outro bassline to A Forest, on the later "The Cure in Orange" concert video though?  

wintertree 19 Sep 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Their producer, Tim Pope, did like his trees -  youtube.com/watch?v=uukM5A8GwKE&

What really makes me feel old is that it's now 22 years since Robert Smith appeared on South Park.

OP Bobling 19 Sep 2020
In reply to Bobling:

youtube.com/watch?v=UmFFTkjs-O0&

Pictures of you video - filmed in Ballachulish in the snow, with palm trees, and a polar bear.   Deliciously nuts.

toad 19 Sep 2020
In reply to Bobling:

My first "proper" boss had 1 cassette in his car. Standing on a beach: the singles

I worked for him for around 18 months and did a great many site visits. They were ( genuinely) a hoot

aln 20 Sep 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Are you sure? I lived in Ballachulish for a year and I don't remember any palm trees. 

MisterPiggy 20 Sep 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Wow !

That was my first 'real' indie rock song. Listening to John Peel late at night, using my mum's old radio under the pillow.

Fantastic song. If I remember correctly, it was the b-side of my first 45; A-side was The Calling.

Second/third 45s: Saxon's Wheel of Steel; Motorhead's Ace of Spades. First 33: Clash - Give em enough rope. I think... Long time ago.

Thanks for the memory-jog 😀

Tobes 20 Sep 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> Their producer, Tim Pope, did like his trees -  youtube.com/watch?v=uukM5A8GwKE&

Tim Pope was their video director from late '82 (lets go to bed being their first video together) through to....mid nineties I think. Then they (well Robert really isn't it) used other directors for a while - Tim Pope again for the full length film of the 40th anniversary show at Hyde Park. 

Producer wise - The Cure have had many over the years though David M Allen was used consistently from '84 till '89 (Disintegration) though perhaps he produced Wish...(i'll have to check)   

By all accounts Tim Pope is working on the first proper/official full length documentary currently....RS is a hoarder so there should be some amazing unseen footage hopefully!

Tobes 20 Sep 2020
In reply to webbo:

> I bought their first single, well I think it was their first ” Killing an Arab”. I wonder how that would go down these days.

Interesting point - a few years ago they changed the lyrics to 'killing another' when performing it live and just referred to it as KAA on set lists. It's now restored to the original lyrics.

They had to add a sticker/disclaimer to the compilation Standing on a Beach (1986) to explain that KAA had nothing to do with racism - the lyrics in the song are lifted from Camus' L'stranger - however the National Front picked up on the song back in '79 and went to some of the concerts thinking it was a racist/skin head band...

Tobes 20 Sep 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> How long do they stretch out the outro bassline to A Forest, on the later "The Cure in Orange" concert video though?  

The version on the album Seventeen Seconds (1980) is the full 12" version - with equally long outro - however although the version on 'In Orange' is long, during the 90's they often played 10-15 minute versions of the song (sometimes adding in different song parts and lyrics) the guitar part of JD's Love will tear Us Apart often featuring 

webbo 20 Sep 2020
In reply to Tobes:

I thought the b side was a better 10:15 Saturday night. Not that I could remember what it was called without looking it up.

OP Bobling 20 Sep 2020
In reply to webbo:

...and I'm sitting in the kitchen sink...and the tap drips drip drip drip drip.  J

Just captures ennui perfectly.  

dread-i 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Bobling:

I saw this the other day:

youtube.com/watch?v=LPNHwwXh3Ks&

A music producer takes Just Like Heaven to bits, instrument by instrument. He explains how its made and why it's so great. As an aside, I'm impressed by the isolation get gets on each instrument. I doubt he has access to the master tapes.

ChrisBrooke 21 Sep 2020
In reply to dread-i:

No way he could do that without the multitrack. He's a pretty famous dude - obviously knows the right people to get access to the masters.

Tobes 21 Sep 2020
In reply to webbo:

> I thought the b side was a better 10:15 Saturday night. Not that I could remember what it was called without looking it up.

It’s a great track - was an A side single in France - very rare and expensive for the 7” in picture sleeve btw.

Also it was an early demo of 10:15 that Chris Parry heard that got him interested in signing the band. Chris was working for Polydor at the time but wanted to start his own label (Fiction) and The Cure were the first signing along with the Associates and Purple Hearts and the Passions

- Chris obviously had good taste!

Lankyman 21 Sep 2020
In reply to dread-i:

> I saw this the other day:

> A music producer takes Just Like Heaven to bits, instrument by instrument. He explains how its made and why it's so great. As an aside, I'm impressed by the isolation get gets on each instrument. I doubt he has access to the master tapes.

I've listened to quite a few of Rick Beato's explanations and he's very good. There are loads of them and he's obviously a fan plus a talented player in his own right.

As a classic of long-standing there are numerous versions online but this is my favourite - not a keyboard in sight and Porl Thompson's guitar in fine form youtube.com/watch?v=rHUZZs1uxiA&

Post edited at 17:26
 Fat Bumbly2 21 Sep 2020
In reply to webbo:

Will we ever get Camus references again?  Got that single, still impressive

Rob Oram 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Bobling:

One of my favourite tracks of all time! Came across a cover by Behemoth recently on You Tube which was excellent, not as good as the Cure of course but still decent.

Denni 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Definitely their best and my all time favourite song. Japan 84 Is the best version;

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=RDhc-rhcW9AN8&feature=share&p...

OP Bobling 26 Sep 2020
In reply to Denni:

Reflects how I am feeling at the moment on so many levels.  Thanks for the link!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...