The Crow Road

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 17 Dec 2022

Currently enjoying a repeat outing for this dramatisation of the Ian Banks novel. It’s on BBC4 at present. Great TV.

In reply to Rog Wilko:

One of the best books I've ever read... Iain Banks at his absolute best...

Post edited at 22:05
 wintertree 17 Dec 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

A TV adaption that actually resonates with the book, a rare thing. Helps its based on one what is one of of his better “non-‘M’ novels” in my opinion.

Dr.S at work 17 Dec 2022
In reply to wintertree:

> A TV adaption that actually resonates with the book, a rare thing. Helps its based on one what is one of of his better “non-‘M’ novels” in my opinion.

The best I think, alongside “the bridge”

In reply to Rog Wilko:

The best opening line of any book........."It was the day my grandmother exploded" .  Pure class.

wintertree 17 Dec 2022
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> The best I think, alongside “the bridge”

I thoroughly enjoyed both, but the end of “the bridge” just petered out.  Which is in keeping with the plot but not very satisfying to the reader.

Edit: Also amazing that Prentice’s gran - Gudrun Ure  (aka Supergran) is still going strong a couple of towns away from me.

Post edited at 22:48
 Offwidth 18 Dec 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

You beat me to the recommendation. Funny, sad, mad and compelling.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b038s1d9/the-crow-road

Toby_W 18 Dec 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

Now I am torn, I’ve read loads of his other stuff, will it spoil the book if I watch it or just add to enjoying it?

Cheers

Toby

Dr.S at work 18 Dec 2022
In reply to Toby_W:

I think it’s a really good adaption, so won’t spoil the book too badly, but of course there are some bits a little different.

Offwidth 18 Dec 2022
In reply to Toby_W:

If I knew answers to such individualised questions I could make a fortune as an oracle.

Personally, watching an adaptation first can detract from the novel a bit but more often an excellent book will transcend such matters (and I might have missed the novel in some cases). For me, a great book is nearly always going to overshadow any adaptation.

Post edited at 10:17
 SuperstarDJ 18 Dec 2022
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> The best I think, alongside “the bridge”

I saw him at a couple of signings and he was asked about his best book. He said that he looked at then like Olympic diving. You can do a simple dive perfectly and only score a 9. Or do a complex dive and make a mistake and still score 9. 

I thought this was really interesting and by this reckoning The Crow Road is the simpler dive scoring a 9. The Bridge is much more ambitious and has flaws but is still a 9.

From memory 'The Bridge' was the one he thought was the best.

Loved The Crow Road adaptation and will probably give it another go. A good first Iain Banks too if you've not read him.

David

Dr.S at work 18 Dec 2022
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

That’s very fair as a way of thinking - I always liked the idea/execution Sci-fi grading system suggested by Dave Longford (?). When people compare Banks to Buchan then the Crow Road is the one that seems to fit. Maybe also “the steep approach to Garbadale”?

Robert Durran 18 Dec 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Ooh, that is a treat. Loved it as much as the book. Not a fan of some of his books but loved The Steep Approach To Garbadale in a similar vein.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...