The Caine Mutiny - interesting parallel to Trump!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 27 Jan 2018

I watched the 1954 film adaptation of the novel The Caine Mutiny last night, which was a curious experience. Film is excellent btw.

Quick synopsis - Humphrey Bogart plays Queeg who is assigned captainship of Second World War minesweeper 

He is old and gruff and not much liked by anyone, and lacks basic common sense and forward thinking. He often talks in regurgitated sound bites. At one point he says “we’re going on an invasion, and it’ll be THE GREATEST invasion!” 

Some of his men suspect him of being mentally unsound and talk about relieving him of command.

It was uncannily like watching a microcosm of the Trump administration .

just thought I’d say

Trangia 27 Jan 2018
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Good analogy 

The Caine Mutiny illustrates just how difficult it is to remove your Captain or Commander in Chief without putting your own career on the line.

profitofdoom 27 Jan 2018

Thanks Blue Straggler. The book is even better - one of my favourite books, really well written, a lot of great stuff in it

It is tragic to be stuck with an incompetent captain

> He is old and gruff and not much liked by anyone, and lacks basic common sense and forward thinking. He often talks in regurgitated sound bites. At one point he says “we’re going on an invasion, and it’ll be THE GREATEST invasion!” 

> It was uncannily like watching a microcosm of the Trump administration .

Also his denial of things that have just happened in plain view of sound witnesses, is very “Fake News”!

Admittedly Trump’s overall disorder is alleged to be narcissism whereas in Queeg’s case it is a form of paranoia manifesting itself in obsessing over details , but there really are some noticeable similarities (I am sure one could find such similarities in all sorts of books, films etc but The Caine Mutiny is the one I watched last night, so...)

In reply to profitofdoom:

I just read the synopsis of the book, it seems that it features a lot more of Ensign Willie. In the film it’s a bit odd as it does feature him prominently (including his relationships to his mother and his girlfriend) but he’s never pushed forward as a main character so it feels a bit muddled. A minor criticism though 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...