The benefits of suffering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toerag 29 Dec 2021

Anyone read it?

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/nov/24/the-sweet-spot-by-paul-bloom-...

I'm of the opinion that a bit of suffering never hurt anyone, but I wouldn't want to do it all the time.

freeflyer 29 Dec 2021

In reply to Shani:

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.

Economics is an exquisite combination of both. Anyway, isn't it about time for a "death of NMT" thread, now the global economy is about to implode?

freeflyer 29 Dec 2021

In reply to Shani:

> "MMT".

That's the one

seankenny 30 Dec 2021

In reply to Shani:

> I've read it and having 'debated' with with Summo and SeanKenny on UKC I'm assuredly acquainted with suffering. On the topic of economics, I refute any notion of a 'benefit'.

Ahhh, the season of peace and goodwill to all men. 

Mark Bannan 30 Dec 2021
In reply to Toerag:

Intriguing article! Thanks for sharing.

hang_about 30 Dec 2021
In reply to Toerag:

I love a good suffer if I think it's doing me some good. Cycling up steep hills knowing it's improving my fitness. Massive arm ache after a good climbing session (seems a long time ago!). Using some psyche to push on to an achievement I've been aiming for. Suffering if I think it's doing me harm is a completely different thing.

Philb1950 30 Dec 2021
In reply to hang_about:

All you list is good and beneficial, but it’s not really suffering, just training hard. However, deliberately suffering for mountaineering; how would you do that? I’ve never believed in training for adversity, just facing it when it occurs. A philosophy that has never let me down.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...