Surprising references in books etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Slackboot 08 Jan 2020

Just got the recently published autobiography of a climbing icon from the 80's. On flicking through the photos I notice one of my 'Best Man' in a best mate hug with the author. When did that happen? I didn't even know they knew each other!

Have you ever come across photos you didn't expect?

Jon Stewart 08 Jan 2020
In reply to Slackboot:

I came across a picture in a climbing magazine that I had no idea had been snapped - I didn't know the photographer from adam at the time (but now I do, he's well known on here). "I've done that route...wait a minute, that's bloody me on it!". A bit creepy, but who complains about getting a picture in a magazine?

Blue Straggler 09 Jan 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> who complains about getting a picture in a magazine?

Quite a few people!

FactorXXX 09 Jan 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Quite a few people!

Depends on the type of magazine... 

Tom Valentine 09 Jan 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

A brochure from the British Heart Foundation had a photo of me wth a little girl riding on my shoulders. Only problem being that I had never given a little girl such a ride and I knew it wasn't me. But no-one , absolutely no-one, believed  me, the doppelganger and I being so identical. I often wonder if he's aged better than me - I certainly hope for his sake that he has.

Flinticus 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Slackboot:

A photobook was produced on the punk scene in Dublin, focusing on the 80s/early 90s.

I was in one of the pics, along with my (twin) brother) jumping around at a gig. 

Was sent a link to it years ago but now cannot trace it.

OP Slackboot 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

You would think it would be possible to get a copy of the book. Dont suppose you know what it was called.

Flinticus 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Slackboot:

No idea. I've tried but no success.

The link was probably in an old hotmail account I let fall into disuse a good few years back

OP Slackboot 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

You must be familiar with 'The Radiators from Space' and 'The Blades' I guess.

Flinticus 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Slackboot:

Many names I no longer remember: used to see a lot of bands down from Belfast. Went to see Paranoid Visions a good few times. Cowboy Killers...lotsof gigs put on by the Hope Collective. Used to go to The Fox & Pheasant  - saw Babes in Toyland there in 1991 - and The New Inn

OP Slackboot 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

You might find www.comeheretome.com on the 1/11/2011of interest. Its about punk and new wave in Dublin. Quite a few pics. Maybe you are there.

Flinticus 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Slackboot:

So what's your connection to the scene?

Flinticus 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Slackboot:

On a similar note, a friend who went to Germany to work in some car plant ended up in a pic used to define 'hardcore techno' or something like that. Early 90s.

OP Slackboot 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

None really. Ive never even been to Dublin but my children go there and really like it. I've been reading a bit about it and remember coming across that link. People seem to love it as a city.

Flinticus 11 Jan 2020
In reply to Slackboot:

You got a direct link? 

I think the book may have been 'Where were you?' by Garry O'Neill.

I found the email with the link to the photo but its no longer valid. It dates from the same year as the book, 2011.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...