Stuart Adamson RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nigel n 15 Dec 2021
Thread moved from Off Belay to Culture Bunker

Tomorrow it will be 20 years to the day since Stuart died.  Possibly the most underrated songwriter and guitarist of his time - "like a garden in the forest that the world will never see". Sadly missed by many even after all this time.

Stuart S 15 Dec 2021
In reply to nigel n:

Big Country were the first band I ever saw live, and still listen to them to this day.  Somewhere in the house is an old chip wrapping paper autographed by all the members of the band after bumping into them in a chip shop next to the concert venue after the show (I've never eaten chips so fast, but had nothing else on me to ask them to autograph!).  Stuart was so talented as singer, guitarist and songwriter - such a loss.

Post edited at 16:00
 Lankyman 15 Dec 2021
In reply to nigel n:

Yes. Wish I'd gone to see Big Country in their heyday.

subtle 15 Dec 2021
In reply to nigel n:

He was a lovely man, or was, the day I met him.

Fishing on a river, a chap approached, started chatting, and then fished alongside me, offering me advice (I was a callow youth). We stayed fishing all afternoon, with an increasing amount of passers by, all stopping and saying hello etc - I didn't have a clue who he was, and actually had to ask him why all the attention - he was quiet self effacing.

Once he said who he was I was still non plussed as music wasn't that important to me back then, or nowadays - but I always remember him as a decent block for that one meeting in 84/85, right at the height of his fame I guess

jimtitt 15 Dec 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Hmm, took my then teenage daughter to see them in Bournemouth at the end of their world tour. Half the band played at a different time to the rest, the singer kept stopping then shouting at them and finally walked off. Crap.

Graeme G 15 Dec 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Went to see them twice in 6 months back in the day. The first just before they became mega successful. The second just after. They were amazing. Few bands had such energy. Was genuinely saddened hearing of Stuart’s loss. 

Slackboot 15 Dec 2021
In reply to subtle:

What a great memory to have!

Lankyman 15 Dec 2021
In reply to jimtitt:

> Hmm, took my then teenage daughter to see them in Bournemouth at the end of their world tour. Half the band played at a different time to the rest, the singer kept stopping then shouting at them and finally walked off. Crap.

Every band has bad days. I loved Van Halen but the only time I saw them (in '79/80) they were dire. YouTube shows that when they were storming they were untouchable.

In reply to nigel n:

I saw them at least three times, I think; Reading, Guilfest & Reading Uni. Then for their Crossing anniversary, sadly, of course, without Stuart.

I was a fan from the start, and still love them

> "like a garden in the forest that the world will never see"

Playing Steeltown in his memory tonight. Maybe I'll finish with Remembrance Day.

RIP Stuart.

OP nigel n 16 Dec 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

Nice to know that others feel the same.  Saw them several times - most memorably at a smallish club in Manchester whose name escapes me.  It was the mid 90s and they were allegedly past their best but the atmosphere was fabulous with the wooden floor in danger of collapse.  Mark Brzezicki was on a sabbatical and Pat Ahern was on drums but everything as good as ever.  Then leaving in the small hours to get back for work in North Wales in a few hours.

Nice little tribute in the Courier today:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/past-times/2821125/stuart-adamson-skids/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...