Starting out writing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
northernclimber1998 30 Oct 2020

Hi there,

I've recently graduated and am looking to start working as a freelance writer in my future. I want to start building a portfolio of written work. 

Any advice on places that regularly publish articles written by novices etc? I don't mind working for free while I'm starting out, just to build up a bit of experience.

Also, anyone who's written an article for UKC, could you advise on what they may be looking for? I want to write something for here as its a topic I'm passionate about but can't think of a novel angle to come from.

Thanks in advance

seankenny 30 Oct 2020
In reply to northernclimber1998:

> Any advice on places that regularly publish articles written by novices etc? I don't mind working for free while I'm starting out, just to build up a bit of experience.

Your blog! 

More specifically, what is “your writing”? Reporting? Poetry? Novels? Feature articles? Humour? 

> Also, anyone who's written an article for UKC, could you advise on what they may be looking for? I want to write something for here as its a topic I'm passionate about but can't think of a novel angle to come from.

This is going to sound harsh, but as the writer it’s your job to come up with cool ideas for things people want to read. Go away and write down ten things you’d like to see on UKC, make it as outrageous as you like, interview in which you ask Alex Honnold to contact Dean Potter via ouija board, whatever. Then tomorrow, another ten, same again on Sunday. By the end of next week you should have something to pitch them. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...