Star wars order

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

About 18 years ago i watched the star wars with the Ewoks.... that's it.

So, if I was going to watch the star wars films, what order should i do it..

Release order, chronologically in the star wars universe? The one specifically In a storyline then ones not in a storyline?

henwardian 05 Sep 2019
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

Episodes I, II, III, IV, V then VI. Because then it should start crap, get better, get really great and then you kind of have to excuse some weaknesses right at the end with VI.

Or, you could just watch IV, V, VI and forget about the rest, you won't be missing out on anything really.

With all the disney ones, I don't think it matters all that much, perhaps in the order they were released.

Iamgregp 05 Sep 2019
In reply to henwardian:

Yeah I'd just watch IV, V, VI and then the Disneys in order.  I to III really aren't worth watching

jelaby 05 Sep 2019

Apparently a good order is IV, V, II, III, VI (and then onwards in order) -- it avoids spoilers for episodes IV and V, highlights some interesting symmetry between III and VI and, best of all, avoids episode I which adds nothing to the series whatsoever.

Ramblin dave 05 Sep 2019

I've not seen II and III, but a lot of geeks recommend IV, V, II, III, VI.

Essentially there's a big reveal at the end of episode V (not wanting to spoil it on the off chance that you don't already know what it is) which is completely ruined dramatically if you watch II and III first, but VI still has the big conclusive emotional payoff for the first six films so you still want to finish with that. So you watch the IV and V, then watch II and III (or I II and III if you hate yourself) as an extended flashback sequence giving the backstory to the big reveal, before wrapping it all up satisfyingly with VI.

Edit: ah, snap.

Post edited at 14:21
 Mike Peacock 05 Sep 2019
In reply to Ramblin dave:

No one has mentioned Rogue One yet (or Solo but I haven't seen that so can't comment) which is brilliant, and adds more background detail. If we're going with IV, V, I, II, III, VI should it come right at the start? Surely it has to be watched before IV, but it would seem an odd choice to start with.

PhilMW 05 Sep 2019

Episode 1, 2, 3, Solo, Rogue One, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

LastBoyScout 05 Sep 2019
In reply to PhilMW:

> Solo, Rogue One, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

FTFY

IMHO episodes 1-3 should only be watched if you're absolutely desperate to complete the set. They were ruined for me by Ewan MacGregor (who I can't stand generally), Hayden Christensen, Jar Jar Binks and the Gungans, the ludicrous Yoda fight scene and too much other silly CGI.

Must get round to watching Solo. Rogue One was really good.

LastBoyScout 05 Sep 2019

Once you've seen all the Star Wars films, go and watch the following:

Spaceballs
Family Guy - Blue Harvest - s6/e1 - episode IV spoof
Family Guy - Something, Something, Something Dark Side - s8/e20 - episode V spoof
Family Guy - Episode VI: It's a Trap - s9/e18 - episode VI spoof.

and die laughing

Philip 05 Sep 2019

With my 6 year old son I'm doing 4,5,6 and then forbidding him from watching any other for 14 years like I had to wait. Then he can decide as an adult.

I like the 4,5,2,3,6 idea. Rogue One doesn't need to go before 4 - it's not really a prequel more of a back story.

ScottTalbot 05 Sep 2019

Just watch episode iv and leave it at that. Solo and Rogue 1 were also pretty good to be fair, but can be viewed as separate entities.

In reply to Ramblin dave:

> I've not seen II and III, but a lot of geeks recommend IV, V, II, III, VI.

So just ignore 'I' completely ?

Siward 05 Sep 2019
In reply to henwardian:

Is there any film in which Luke shoots womp rats in his T16 on Tatooine? 

Iamgregp 05 Sep 2019
In reply to LastBoyScout:

"That's great kid, but don't get penisy"

Iamgregp 05 Sep 2019

Agreed, they're absolutely awful - Terrible dialogue.  Very unconvincing CGI.  Hammy acting (and I like EG!). Bad casting (especially the annoying kid in I).  I can't really think of anything I liked about them...

wintertree 05 Sep 2019

Spaceballs was funny when I was 12.  Like most Mell Brooks it doesn’t seem to age very well...

wintertree 05 Sep 2019

The only good thing to come out of 1-3 was the “Honest Trailers” series.  If you can find a copy of the bootleg “Phantom Edit” of episode 1 its rumoured to be watchable.  

LastBoyScout 05 Sep 2019
In reply to wintertree:

> Spaceballs was funny when I was 12.  Like most Mell Brooks it doesn’t seem to age very well...

Maybe, but it's worth watching at least once "lightspeed isn't fast enough - we'll have to go to ludicrous speed...!" - that and the stunt doubles... 

I still laugh at Blazing Saddles  

wercat 05 Sep 2019

they're best watched in ASCII

Paul Sagar 06 Sep 2019

If at all possible try and get versions of the originals (IV-VI) from BEFORE Lucas went back and added loads of idiotic CGI that just isn't necessary and sometimes is utterly dreadful (the singing stripper aliens in Jaba's Palace, anyone?)

Also, Han shot first.

Paul Sagar 06 Sep 2019
In reply to wintertree:

Incorrect - see also the Mr Plinkett Reviews by Red Letter Media. Those are amazing. 1.5 hour documentaries about, ahem, each of the prequels taken individually. They explain in incredible detail precisely why, on every level (cinematography, script, character development, etc) the prequels are a disaster, and why Lucas is basically a very, very bad director when left to his own devices.

Sounds implausible? Remember that Lucas didn't direct V and VI, and IV was saved in the edit - seriously, stick 'Star Wars saved in the edit' into Youtube and watch the video that comes up. It's amazing how a man who is basically talentless as a film-maker managed to create - pretty much against his own best efforts - one of the most successful film franchises in history.

Post edited at 11:19
 PhilMW 06 Sep 2019

I thought the third was ok but I'll submit on the first two. horsesh**. Mind you number 8 was junk also. I can never look away from the lame fight scene with the imperial guards in red now. dumbest miss ever!!!

Blue Straggler 09 Sep 2019

All these posts and no Holiday Special or Caravan of Courage....

Durbs 09 Sep 2019

Or Clone wars...

I'm going to stick my next out and say the Pod race scene is watchable. As is the Darth Maul fight.

But yeah, that's it.

I ended up watching a bit of Episode 1 recently as it was on TV, and was amazed at how "old" the CGI looked in scenes. I do wonder if it's worth someone going and basically re-doing ALL the CGI so it at least looks decent. Sadly you can't fix the acting.

Or the script.

henwardian 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Siward:

> Is there any film in which Luke shoots womp rats in his T16 on Tatooine? 

Not yet. But I wouldn't ask that question anywhere near anyone from Disney unless it's some sort of strange wish that you want to come true.

Dan Arkle 09 Sep 2019

However...

I II and III can also  be experienced as a 2hr fan edit on YouTube called Fall of the Jedi. 

This cuts out most of the crap, but gives you the story.

There is also an Anti-cheese edit for I, which cuts out almost all of Jar Jar Binks and the over emotional stuff! 

Euge 12 Sep 2019

Rogue One

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back 

and leave at that...

Blue Straggler 21 Sep 2019

As an aside regarding Jar-Jar, I was just at the ILM office’s in San Francisco yesterday morning (a friend works there) and they have a mocked-up Jar-Jar frozen in  carbonite, which is a clear acknowledgement that he was unloved and that George knew this well enough (remember how Jar-Jar’s presence diminishes in Episode 2 and and he’s only in Episode 3 for about 10 minutes near the start and then pretty much disappears. Regardless of other writing and directing shortfalls, George WAS paying attention to what people were saying, and reduced Jar-Jar’s role accordingly.

Also I am posting this from an airliner in flight which is awfully exciting for me as I’ve never been able to this until now ! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...