Star Trek Disco

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lurking Dave 12 Feb 2018

I enjoyed that.

So many twists and dark, evil characters. Kligons, parallel universes, inter species sex (and a threesome)... I am kinda left wondering where they take the second series?

Cheers

LD

skog 12 Feb 2018
In reply to Lurking Dave:

It was great, wasn't it? Nothing like any other Star Trek series or film.

Although the series finale was a bit anticlimactic.

The nice thing about the alternate universes is that they can take the next series absolutely anywhere they want..!

Philip 12 Feb 2018
In reply to skog:

It's not supposed to be alternate universe. It's the same one as ENT/TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY, not the Kelvin timeline of the recent films.

I thought the ending was a bit tacky, but all in all a good series. Not been that excited since watching TNG as a kid.

nathan79 12 Feb 2018

Just started watching this today. Very promising stuff, probably better than I expected it to be.

skog 12 Feb 2018
In reply to Philip:

> It's not supposed to be alternate universe. It's the same one as ENT/TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY, not the Kelvin timeline of the recent films.

Yes, or at least 3/4 of it was - but now that they've established that they can jump between universes, there's no reason it has to stop at the one.

ben b 13 Feb 2018

I thought the separating of Clem Fandango's evil alter ego was a bit feeble - attach metal things to hands of passing Klingon who does complex unassisted neurosurgery, wakes up ok. 

The consistent levels of violence and gore were way higher than anything on ST before - I certainly haven't let my kids watch this after the first episode. They are big fans of the prior ST series (mostly DS9 and TNG) so we had sat down to watch the opening episode of the new season together, but that didn't last in to episode 2!

But overall it was well filmed and acted, in particular Mr Saru has absolutely flourished and gone from a rather pathetic (in the true sense) figure to a real leader and man/being of clear integrity, and it has been fun to watch. Overall I think the series has been to some interesting places and generally pulled it off with style, even if it has narrowed the audience. Be interested to hear what others think.

b

SuperLee1985 13 Feb 2018
In reply to ben b:

I thought it was alright and will continue watching it.

5 years ago it would have been amazing but I think the quality of TV shows has just increased hugely in recent years and for me it was kind of middle of the pack.

I watched it around the same time I watched The Expanse (another sci-fi show on Netflix) and I enjoyed The Expanse a lot more.

Post edited at 09:03
 Escher 13 Feb 2018

Is it worth persevering with? I loved all the other series of ST, Deep Space Nine especially but had trouble suspending my disbelief in the first two episodes.

(Possible spoiler follows),

the second officer going off all gung-ho instead of sending a probe and then starting a war with a Klingon that was bullied at school leading to thousands of deaths just struck me as completely reckless and poor decision making and the science officer was really irritating! It just wasn't believable for me. I know ST is supposed to be a bit cheesy but TV has moved on a long way since the last series, better scripts and characters and I thought it was a let down when I was really looking forward to it. Does it improve after the first two eps? Perhaps my expectations were too high.

Jimbocz 13 Feb 2018
In reply to SuperLee1985:

Can you tell me a bit more about the Expanse? What are the levels of gore?  Kid friendly?

I like a lot of things about Discovery but I would like them to dial down the sex, violence and gore by about 10%.  Or simply stop repeating the most sexy and violent parts constantly.  A person is killed in a sudden and shocking manner and they must have re-shown that clip about 25 times!  Flashbacks, trailers, etc. Once would have been perfect.

skog 14 Feb 2018
In reply to Escher:

It is worth persevering with, yes - it takes a while to get going properly, and it's the second half that's particularly good.

The cheesiness tails off (but doesn't entirely vanish, of course). Unfortunately, it returns abruptly in the final episode of the season, which really could have been much better.

skog 14 Feb 2018
In reply to Jimbocz:

The Expanse is brilliant, a great mix of sci-fi, political intrigue, detective mystery and a touch of horror, with quite a few engaging characters (and a rather boring 'main character').

It isn't over-the-top gory, but I wouldn't say it's kid friendly, at least for younger kids.

Escher 14 Feb 2018
In reply to skog:

Thank you, I shall give it another go

JHiley 14 Feb 2018

I thought It was enjoyable. The acting and characters were good and the aliens looked better than in most Star trek. The Klingons actually looked like an 'alien' species instead of humans with minimal prosthetics. I liked the Lorca twist and Tilly throughout. The effects were mostly pretty good except for the planet with the alien transmitter thing which looked like something from early SG1.

What I don't like is that, especially compared with the Expanse, setting it in space seems almost incidental. As if outer space is only there for background scenery and there's no consideration given to thrust, gravity, distance or the most basic implications of interacting with totally alien, separately evolved ecosystems. The writers also have an annoying habit of relying on Dr Who style mumbo jumbo spouting to get the characters out of difficult situations rather than thinking of something that makes any kind of sense.

OP Lurking Dave 14 Feb 2018
In reply to JHiley:

Yeah the Tilly character grew on me... and there were a couple of very neat Easter eggs, when Stamets called her Captain (foreshadowing what might happen in later episodes)...

Cheers

LD

ben b 14 Feb 2018

good point: Tilly, Saru and (to a lesser extent) Stamets did really well by the character developments, whereas I thought Michael Burnham actually had less variation as the show went on. However, it has been interesting to see her responses to others become more human over time, and the whole Vulcan logical upbringing wasn't necessarily overplayed in the way it was done (to death) for T'Pol in Enterprise.

Also hands up who else said "I can hear you Clem Fandango!" every time Ash did his silent scream routine?

cheers

b

TomGB 16 Feb 2018

Had it's ups and downs but enjoyed it overall. *spoilers* 

Agree that 'curing' Tyler's Klingosity was absurdly easy and over with in seconds considering how much they built it up. Also never properly explained what happened to him. Was Voq's body surgically altered to look human then Tyler's personality grafted onto it? Or the other way around?

Ending was cheesy and no idea why Tyler would choose to stay with an enemy combatant who tortured and physiologically maimed him for life? Oh well

Liked Tilly, Stamets, Lorca and Saru. Burnham was a bit boring. 

Didn't like the Klingons. Why do people (looking at recent ST films and series) have to keep f**king with the Klingons? Vulcans, Andorians etc all get to stay the same Classic archetypes that have proven popular. People Loved Worf! No one cares about Klingons in the films and Disco, they look shite and lack personality. 

Lusk 16 Feb 2018
In reply to TomGB:

Worf was great.
One of favourite Star Trek quotes ...

Q: Q the miserable, Q the desperate! What must I do to convince you people?

Lieutenant Worf: Die.

Q: Oh, very clever, Worf. Eat any good books lately?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...