Spitting Image is back!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 freeflyer 28 Sep 2019

The classic satire puppets are back after 23 years. Will it be any good after all this time?

Seems to me all they need to do these days is to describe reality :/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49865406

Edit: forgot link

Post edited at 18:30
 Doug 28 Sep 2019
In reply to freeflyer:

fond memories of watching the original series, oddly the French version (les guignols de l'info) ran until last year.

dunc56 28 Sep 2019
In reply to freeflyer:

Now that will be interesting. Can’t see society at large taking too well to this. Is it going to be BBC or ITV ? 

Which side of Brexit will they fall ? Will it actually influence the electorate if it hits the zeitgeist like it did back in the day.

Will they mock the monarchy just as they seem to be winning the PR war?

To this day people of a certain age think John  major is actually grey

Post edited at 19:29
 Philip 28 Sep 2019
In reply to freeflyer:

They'll be using the Pob toy from channel 4 to play Michael Gove.

wintertree 28 Sep 2019
In reply to freeflyer:

These last few weeks, I keep finding myself thinking that John Major should run for Prime Minister again – in fact I think that will be blooming marvellous.  Even the Grey Spitting Image version.

The original series is also responsible for my strongest earworm – something about a nice South African…

Wainers44 28 Sep 2019
In reply to freeflyer:

Can't see that working. Politics all too dull, nothing worth a sharp parady at the moment..... 

AdrianC 28 Sep 2019
In reply to wintertree:

"I met a man in Kathmandu who said he had two willies but I've never met a..."

pneame 28 Sep 2019
In reply to freeflyer:

I'm not sure that they will need to do much except change the puppets - nothing much seems to have changed...

OP freeflyer 28 Sep 2019
In reply to wintertree:

Hoping for a new series has come up in several conversations with friends recently.

Now, if they still have the original puppets, the possibilities are legion. A heavenly choir made up of Maggie, Tebbit (although they could pretty much use him unmodified for Cummings) and Kinnock etc, in the viewing gallery at Westminster.

I bet the lawyers nobble it though

summo 28 Sep 2019
In reply to freeflyer:

Swapping Steve interesting Davis for Andy Murray?   some elements are timeless. 

Whilst the politicians were good, it wasn't all politics. 

In reply to freeflyer:

What grotesque effigies they are.

The puppets look amusing though.

Dave Garnett 29 Sep 2019
In reply to AdrianC:

> "I met a man in Kathmandu who said he had two willies but I've never met a..."

... although, ironically, I have!

Dax H 29 Sep 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

> Can't see that working. Politics all too dull, nothing worth a sharp parady at the moment..... 

I think the issue will be not being able to tell the difference between the actual and the parady. 

AdrianC 29 Sep 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Never been to Kathmandu myself.

DaisySimpson 29 Sep 2019

Hi,

It's good to have you back after 23 years, it is too long time

In reply to freeflyer:

I'm not sore how much UK politics will feature but there is promised a trump whose anus writes his tweets 

Oceanrower 29 Sep 2019
In reply to JJ Krammerhead III:

I thought it was meant to be satire!

Andy 1902 29 Sep 2019
In reply to dunc56:

> Which side of Brexit will they fall ?

The Punch and Judy side hopefully.

DerwentDiluted 30 Sep 2019
In reply to freeflyer:

They might have saved the cash and just repeated the old ones, this is still not far off bang on the money youtube.com/watch?v=0CZWI08FPqs&

wercat 30 Sep 2019
In reply to freeflyer:

I hope they do Brexito Mussolini!  Boris in a silly hat or steel helmet.

People thought him charming, affable in the early years, with his obsession with ancient roman ways and ability to impress by spending other people's money

In reply to freeflyer:

> The classic satire puppets are back after 23 years. Will it be any good after all this time?

I really do hope so .

Spitting image has a lot to answer for in the development of my sense of humour.

I'm not sure they will be able to go as far as they did back then , is my only concern .

Who could forget, predictive stuff 

youtube.com/watch?v=VFcBRHC9MV0&

Hilarious if not just a bit wrong by today's standards

youtube.com/watch?v=fxEweP2TiMk&

My fellow South Africans, I feel it is time to tell you things as they really are. 

1) Bananas are marsupials

2) Cars run on gravy

3) Salmon live in trees and eat pencils 

4) Reform in South Africa is on the way.

TWS 

:-D

graeme jackson 30 Sep 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

My favourite sketch from the original had Ronald Reagan seeing Thatcher off at the airport with the comment - "what a woman, it's a shame I'm only screwing her country".

Would be interesting to see the same scene set up with Boris and trump

spartacus 30 Sep 2019
In reply to graeme jackson:

My favorite is the restaurant scene with Mrs Thatcher and her cabinet. The waiter is taking the orders and says to Mrs Thatcher 'what about the vegetables?'. She replies 'they will have the same as me'.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...