Slow Horses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Valentine 29 Dec 2021

I'm probably a bit late to the party but I've just read this on my brother's recommendation and was completely taken by it.Have ordered the next couple in the sequence and am keenly anticipating the TV series. I wonder if our PM  reads Herron's novels or has an underling do the hard work for him?

Bob Kemp 29 Dec 2021
In reply to Tom:

They’re a great series. I’d like to think that Johnson might recognise something of himself in Peter Judd, but I doubt if he would have the necessary sensitivity. I’m looking forward to the TV series, especially since Gary Oldman will be playing Jackson Lamb. I wonder how they’ll deal with the wind?

wert 29 Dec 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

I’ve read all the Slough House books in order including the novellas and loved them.  
Can’t see Gary Oldman physically as Jackson Lamb though, some characters are better left to one’s own fertile imagination. 

OP Tom Valentine 29 Dec 2021
In reply to wert:

Ha! I saw stills of Oldman with paunch before I started the book so I was happy with that image throughout my reading.. KST is pretty much a no-brainer for Lady Di.

Bob Kemp 29 Dec 2021
In reply to wert:

I haven’t watched the Darkest Hour film but from the clips I’ve seen I think Oldman could do a pretty good Jackson Lamb. Just needs plenty of gravy and carry-out remains on his suit. I’m sure an actor of his quality is very capable of being sufficiently obnoxious. 

wert 29 Dec 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Agree, he’s a superb actor and has been fantastic in many films. I think you’re right and he’ll be able to capture Lamb’s utterly obnoxious, vulgar and uncouth demeanour, but I’ve seen a still of him playing Lamb and my initial reaction was it wasn’t my Lamb. I’m happy to change my mind once I get a chance to watch him in motion rather than a still though.
Possibly a bit like Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher? (Alan Ritchson, for the Amazon series, looks the part, although no idea if he’ll act the part well.) Can’t wait for the next Slough House book to come out in May.  

Le Sapeur 29 Dec 2021
In reply to wert:

> Can’t see Gary Oldman physically as Jackson Lamb though, some characters are better left to one’s own fertile imagination. 

I picture him as a nimble Harvey Weinstein.

Le Sapeur 29 Dec 2021

Try listening to the audiobooks. Read by the wonderful Sean Barrett. 

The Zoe Boehm books by the same author are also worth a read/listen.

Tony Buckley 29 Dec 2021

Is there a TV series coming?

Good books, and enough of them now to make a TV series worthwhile.

T.

wert 29 Dec 2021
In reply to Le Sapeur:

That’s a good comparison. 

wert 29 Dec 2021
In reply to Tony Buckley:

On Apple TV+

Chris_Mellor 29 Dec 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

"I wonder how they’ll deal with the wind?"

It'll be a breeze.

Tony Buckley 30 Dec 2021
In reply to wert:

Ah.  I shan't be watching then, unless some other broadcaster that I receive picks it up.  Shame, but never mind.

T.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...