Shetland (TV series)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 04 Dec 2021

I have watched 6 episodes of Shetland, on iPlayer from the current series. There seem to have been no others produced for a while. Has the series ended somewhat in mid-air. or did I miss something, or will there eventually be an episode 7?

Sealwife 04 Dec 2021
In reply to veteye:

There were only 6 episodes.

I expect the ending is meant as a teaser for the next series.

Having watched and enjoyed all of the series so far, I found this most recent one rather lacklustre.   

OP veteye 04 Dec 2021
In reply to Sealwife:

Thank you. I did wonder.

I have to say that wee Dougie seems to be gaining weight in this series... Too much success?

Offwidth 05 Dec 2021
In reply to Sealwife:

I thought it was almost as good as a fairly high average standard. Not good enough for me to recommend but very good fun for crime TV fans.

It's only just finished a broadcast series so the next one must be a year away, non?

In reply to veteye:

End of that series.; next one coming “next year”. There has always been a delay between filming and broadcast for every series made, and no hints have been made that I ever recall as to exactly when the next will be released.

There was a tv interview recently and it was mentioned (essentially confirmed) that the next series had at that stage been partly filmed already. It was said they do the filming is only between April and October due to logistics.

TechnoJim 05 Dec 2021
In reply to Sealwife:

I also found this season a bit disappointing compared with the others. The storyline with Ciaran Hinds in it was terrific.

steveriley 05 Dec 2021
In reply to veteye:

I think they filmed seasons 6&7  back to back this year for covid reasons. Maybe that’s why it felt a bit dangled to you? It’ll be more about scheduling when 7 appears.

Dave Garnett 05 Dec 2021
In reply to veteye:

> I have to say that wee Dougie seems to be gaining weight in this series... Too much success?

Maybe, but the thing I noticed was how much dimmer his sidekick Sandy is getting.  He needs a neurological assessment before he ends up like Jimmy’s dad.

OP veteye 05 Dec 2021
In reply to steveriley:

The dangling seems to involve romance!

steveriley 05 Dec 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I used to find Shandy’s accent faintly silly till it was pointed out he was the only native Shetlander in the cast, so I’m the silly one!

kwoods 05 Dec 2021
In reply to veteye:

I've zero knowledge of the making of Shetland, but I've been involved in some drama production since 2018 - Covid can make a difference to the result on screen, more conservative in story, locations, actors. If it sounds like that, then it likely is. Seeing the lengths production go to to make these things run, I've some sympathy.

Sealwife 05 Dec 2021
In reply to kwoods:

I think you could be right.  From what I’ve gathered, the production stopped and started a few times.  Also the actor who plays Tosh is pregnant in real life, so had to be filmed sitting down or holding objects so it wouldn’t cause continuity problems re her changing shape.  I suspect her maternity leave was a factor in one of the plot aspects in the last episode.

Phil1919 05 Dec 2021
In reply to veteye:

Are they all on iplayer? I couldn't find them.

Wainers44 05 Dec 2021
In reply to veteye:

Well obviously in a minority but I enjoyed it. Great scenery,  thought the story was pretty OK and the back story of the issue with his dad was a change from the normal drama stuff. 

Roll on next series and another fix of a wonderful place.

In reply to Phil1919:

Certainly all episodes in series 6, the one that has just finished, are on iPlayer.

Post edited at 17:40
 Pedro50 05 Dec 2021
In reply to Phil1919:

> Are they all on iplayer? I couldn't find them.

Don't think so,  s1 to s5 are on Britbox I just got a black Friday deal so I can watch again, had never seen s1 before. Annoyingly no subtitles there which doesn't help with accents and windy outdoor scenes. I'm a big fan.

In reply to Wainers44:

> Well obviously in a minority but I enjoyed it. 

I’ve enjoyed all 6 series overall!

Co1in H 05 Dec 2021
In reply to Wainers44:

Me too. When you look at the s***e that regularly goes out as "Drama" I thought that it was pretty good.

OP veteye 05 Dec 2021
In reply to Phil1919:

Just put "shetland" into search. You don't even need the capital letter.

OP veteye 05 Dec 2021
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

I got interested in it by the name, and being ignorant of the same. 

I had enjoyed Hinterland, set in Wales and thought that it might be similar.

Dave Garnett 05 Dec 2021
In reply to Wainers44:

> Well obviously in a minority but I enjoyed it. 

I like it too.  Ordinary people’s lives are reassuringly complicated.

OP veteye 05 Dec 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I like the escapism.

I have also read 5 of the books, as they are easy reading, and again an escapism: Unlike things like Tolstoy's short stories, which I thought would be a skoosh, but I became intrigued by all of them...

Phil1919 05 Dec 2021
In reply to veteye:

Yes, I did that........ I suppose I really meant why aren't the first 5 on I player, and it seems I've had that answered. Yes I enjoyed  a lot of the acting and scenery.

In reply to veteye:

I was interested from the outset as I have an admiration for Shetland, the people, culture and history - I spent 6 years my working career up there and I still miss it. The drama story was a bonus in many ways though I still enjoyed it all (even the errors in places, locations and continuity!).

Hat Dude 06 Dec 2021
In reply to veteye:

I think of it as a colder version of Bergerac

Lankyman 06 Dec 2021
In reply to veteye:

> I had enjoyed Hinterland, set in Wales and thought that it might be similar.

I thought it was so grim it cured me of wanting to spend much time in mid-Wales

OP veteye 07 Dec 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Was it not just showing realism?

Lankyman 07 Dec 2021
In reply to veteye:

I think the way it was filmed with threatening weather and dour landscapes gave it a very forbidding atmosphere. If they had a case at a remote farm it was always rundown and occupied by an alcoholic with mental problems.

Fat Bumbly2 07 Dec 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

We always went to Borth for our "holidays". Found Hinterland matched the mood.

Lankyman 07 Dec 2021
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

> We always went to Borth for our "holidays". Found Hinterland matched the mood.

Even the name 'Borth' sounds like a correctional facility. Were you doing time?

Fat Bumbly2 07 Dec 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Felt like it.  Improved when I was strong enough to cycle to the hills and make the journey there and back on the bike. (from just over the border). From the cottage you could only walk to Aber, other directions were sea or bog

One day in the Summer, they spent an hour talking about Borth on Test Match Special. 

JimR 07 Dec 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Welcome to Scotland!

FactorXXX 07 Dec 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> I thought it was so grim it cured me of wanting to spend much time in mid-Wales

Don't watch 'Hidden' (especially Series 1) if you plan on going to North Wales anytime soon...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...