September film thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 28 Sep 2019

After watching way too many bad Sci Fi Movies in the last few months, at last a low budget gem... "Prospect"

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prospect_2018

It's a bit like a old school western 'greed for gold' morality tale, translated to a forest moon (with alien eggs instead of gold).

Jon Stewart 29 Sep 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

Anyone seen Bait?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9652782/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Hailed as a masterpiece, British film of the decade, etc. I wasn't that convinced. I found it quite compelling, but it's really heavy on the style (while having virtually no script) to the point where it sometimes veers into feeling rather art-college. Worth watching, for sure.

Blue Straggler 29 Sep 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

This has been kicking around the shelves of Tesco as another in a line of random sci fi with one or two names you’ve vaguely heard of. Its decidedly mixed reviews made it a “miss” for me but interesting that you liked it, noted.

I’ve not had the energy recently to contribute much but in September I’ve seen (as new releases albeit one as an in flight movie and one an old classic restored)

Once upon a Time in Hollywood (fantastic although I might have actually reduced Margot Robbie’s screen time. Saw the film twice as I had a feeling a second viewing would be rewarding, and it was)

Five Feet Apart (brilliant, convincing, moving)

Last Year in Marienbad (virtually a poem in cinematic form, unfortunately I am not big on poetry so maybe it’s not for me, but I did sort of enjoy it)

Rambo: Last Blood. Appalling

Ad Astra. Film didn’t know what it wanted to be and ended up an unengaging muddle. 5/10

The Goldfinch. Mesmerising, superb storytelling delivered by perfect ensemble cast and perfect technical aspects

I saw something else during a flight but I can’t remember it. Oh. The Kid Who Would Be King. Way too long and surprisingly lacking in humour. The actor playing Merlin was very enjoyable too, channeling Nicol Williamson but with a lighter and humourous touch 

OP Offwidth 02 Oct 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I wondered where you had gone  

Rewatched Valerian last night ... just as good second time round on the small screen.

OP Offwidth 03 Oct 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

Two more strong recommendations from last night:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/marianne_and_leonard_words_of_love

Raw and rough, leaving as many questions as answers but completely compelling. Available online for the next few weeks:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0008yzr

Plus a moving fictional look at the American poor living in cheap motels  right next to Disneyland. Very Loach like....

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_florida_project

Blue Straggler 03 Oct 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

You've been watching Film 4 this week haven't you. Their level of advertising annoys me. 
edit - that's actually unfair for me to single out Film4. I don't really watch much television unless I am away on a work trip and there's nothing to do at night and you just stick the TV on. I really should watch proper content that I want, on my tablet! But there's something about a thing that's "live" on TV, hence my watching the second halves of Dirty Grandpa and The 40 Year Old Virgin, and then hating myself for it....
at least I saw the last 25 mins of Valerian!

Post edited at 17:02
In reply to Offwidth:

I pretty much agree with this review of Ready or Not; the film is certainly a bit muddled in tone and can’t decide whether to play dead straight or put some slapstick in, so weirdly tries to do both. An odd cocktail with shades of Get Out and even Midsommar, but also as the reviewer here says, all those second-tier decent 70s near-exploitation films. 
I think Weaving deserves higher praise than he gives her though. She nails the lead role in this silly film, brilliantly. She’s like a blend of Margot Robbie, Emma Stone and Jessica Rothe (Tree from the Happy Death Day franchise)

A surprising 6.5/10 from me, I thought I’d like it far less.

https://www.thewrap.com/ready-or-not-film-review-samara-weaving/?fbclid=IwA...

OP Offwidth 03 Oct 2019

I always watch recorded versions and fast forward through the adverts... couldn't even remember one Ad. 

As for what you watched, I have no clue what De Niro is doing in such shite.

Post edited at 17:06
In reply to Offwidth:

> I always watch recorded versions and fast forward through the adverts... couldn't even remember one Ad. 

Hence my edit and explanation - I can't do this with a hotel television

> As for what you watched, I have no clue what De Niro is doing in such shite.

I was mostly curious to see what Aubrey Plaza was doing in such shite, given that DeNiro has been appearing in all sorts of shite for the past two decades!

In reply to Offwidth:

The nicest thing I can say about “Judy” is that it is not quite as awful as Bohemian Rhapsody 

Babika 04 Oct 2019

oh stop it!

Bohemian Rhapsody is brilliant and Rami Malek fully deserved the Oscar.

That opening sequence sends tingles of excitement down my spine every time I watch it. 

Blue Straggler 04 Oct 2019
In reply to Babika:

I liked Lucy Boynton and Gwilym Lee in it. 

In reply to Babika:

Similarly I’d say that Jessie Buckley goes some way to redeeming “Judy” with a reserved and dignified performance even if it is a slightly perfunctory thankless role. It’s made me keen to see more of her work and makes me regret missing Wild Rose earlier this year 

Also regarding Buckley, now I REALLY want to see “Beast”, I already wanted to because I think Johnny Flynn is excellent but now that I’ve seen Buckley in action, it sounds twice as interesting 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...