Scratch RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 29 Aug 2021

Lee Perry RIP. One of my all time favourite musicians has died. I'm feeling sad tonight. 

65 29 Aug 2021
OP aln 29 Aug 2021
In reply to aln:

The Black Ark. Inventing Bluetone, ska and reggae, toasting with a toaster on his head. Burning down his own studio, coming back with so much madness and music. Love to you Lee Perry. 

cragtyke 29 Aug 2021
In reply to aln:

Oh, that's bad news, listened to the super ape just last night. What a legacy.

OP aln 29 Aug 2021
In reply to cragtyke:

Super Ape is excellent. Black Ark vol 2 is in my top 10 all time albums list. 

In reply to aln:

The earth has lost, the universe has gained. Lee has landed on another planet. Listen out for a good radio day. 

BrendanO 29 Aug 2021
In reply to aln:

He’s done so much, lived so long (given some of what he was doing). And been recognised and respected while he was alive to appreciate it.

Hard to choose a favourite - perhaps the 3 great tracks from Heart of The Congos?

Iamgregp 31 Aug 2021
In reply to aln:

Ah what a life he led eh?  Was lucky enough to see him at the 100 club a couple of years back,  It was completely bonkers, as you would expect.

RIP

Offwidth 31 Aug 2021
In reply to Iamgregp:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/aug/29/lee-scratch-perry-obituary

"he left school early, living itinerantly and making a precarious living in the north-west of the country as a professional dancer, dominoes player and bulldozer driver."

Iamgregp 31 Aug 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

Wow never knew that!

This part stood out for me in that article "During the extended period of erratic behaviour that led to the burning of the Ark and the breakup of the relationship with the mother of four of his children, Pauline Morrison, he took to walking backwards in the street, daubing the studio and his house with arcane graffiti and pounding the ground repeatedly with a hammer."

Dred 31 Aug 2021
In reply to aln:

Charlie watts, Sean Lock and now The Upsetter. 

What an unfortunate couple of weeks.

jmchich 31 Aug 2021
In reply to aln:

RIP to one of the original upsetters, the disco devil. We wouldn't have the majority of ska, reggae or dub without him. Was so sad when I heard

Dred 02 Sep 2021
 magma 03 Sep 2021
In reply to Dred:

this 'interview' has more depth:  youtube.com/watch?v=RXPkwAZPDOU&

and a later one with a more inquisitive interviewer: youtube.com/watch?v=g07l2jCOGOM&

Post edited at 12:38
 Rog Wilko 04 Sep 2021
In reply to aln:

I thought you were going to say there’d been a big rockfall at Tremadoc.

OP aln 04 Sep 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I don't know what you're talking about. 

OP aln 04 Sep 2021
In reply to Dred:

Love that. 

Pedro50 04 Sep 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I was tempted to post the same!

Andy Clarke 05 Sep 2021
In reply to aln:

> I don't know what you're talking about. 

Scratch (VS 4c)

Twiggy Diablo 05 Sep 2021

Saw him at a couple of times. Asked the audience to throw him joints onto the stage in between each song (to which they gladly obliged)

It’s all a bit hazy but i’m sure one of the times he was doing a painting while performing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...