Scottish history youtube or podcast

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 07 Feb 2020

I am doing a few jobs later this year which will involve me knowing a little more history than I currently do. Can any of you recommend some good youtube channels or podcasts, particularly history of Edinburgh and Glasgow, which I can listen do while doing other things? I'm not much of a reader, but any easy reading book recommendations also welcome and I might see how I get on with it.

Tringa 07 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Can't recommend any YouTube channels or podcasts, but there might be something in audible books that could be useful for you.

Dave

OP girlymonkey 07 Feb 2020
In reply to Tringa:

That's a good thought, thanks. I haven't really got into audio books, but I will look into it

rubble 07 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

don't forget the resources in your local library ... I may have some particular bias here, as a Mobile Library driver ... but one of our customers was setting themselves up as a tour guide and managed to find loads of relevant information from us.  This included the well known City Guide books as well as some particularly niche topics .. and it's FREE!  Good luck!

rogerwebb 07 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> That's a good thought, thanks. I haven't really got into audio books, but I will look into it

If you find any could you let me know?

Also it is worth searching through 'In our time' on radio 4. There is a good one on the Picts and quite a lot of other stuff on Scotland . It is a hard site to search though. (If anyone knows how to use it easily please let me know) 

In reply to rogerwebb:

Sounds good, I will have a look. Thanks.

In reply to rubble:

Yeah, not much of a reader. If it's a particularly easy read then I could probably do it, but I don't tend to sit down and read. I would be more likely to put on a podcast or video while doing the dishes, or in the shower or other things. 

nathan79 07 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

History Scotland- Hidden History podcast is worth having a sift through. Should be something amongst the episodes for you.

Bobling 07 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

I would highly recommend John Prebble's "Culloden".  I ripped through it after my mate's mum (a proud Scot) put it down as unreadably turgid.  Takes all sorts eh?  More about the Highlands at a specific point in time than Edinburgh/Glasgow but still, may work for you, or someone else who is reading this thread.

Doug 08 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

For a 'highland-centric' view of Scottish history look at the books by James Hunter, some might be available as audio books. I also have a  book of Scottish history by the late Magnus Magnusson which I suspect was linked to a TV series - maybe the series is still available on Youtube or as a DVD ?

edit to add - out of curiosity, I searched for the possible tv series but couldn't find one

Post edited at 08:02

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...