Sara Pascoe - LadsLadsLads

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 11 Jan 2020

Just noticed this is on BBC2 tonight. I saw it when some little tinker uploaded it to youtube, and if you like stand-up where it's a bit more than just jokes, this is 100% worth watching. It's funny, but it's also brilliant writing, touching and well-crafted. Probably roughly 150 times better than 99% of plays or dramas that get written.

Stichtplate 11 Jan 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Set to record. This recommendation better be on the money, I've still not recovered from that book about the murderous Lakeland vicar (shudder!).

OP Jon Stewart 11 Jan 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

> Set to record. This recommendation better be on the money, I've still not recovered from that book about the murderous Lakeland vicar (shudder!).

You didn't actually read that did you? Pretty strong, eh?

Bobling 11 Jan 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Sounds interesting - what book?

OP Jon Stewart 11 Jan 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Beastings by Benjamin Myres. Brilliant writing, but may leave deep scars in the mind.

pasbury 12 Jan 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I've just finished Under the Rock, really interesting work of psychogeography. Must try some of his fiction.

Stichtplate 12 Jan 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Not an easy book to forget. That ending! Interesting how he wove real characters into the plot though.

nufkin 12 Jan 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Her books are worth a read as well 

DR 23 Jan 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Ben is a family friend of mine but his books aren't for the faint-hearted. Don't read Turning Blue if you think Beastings was strong... The Gallows Pole is a brilliant story and Under the Rock is my next read. Fingers crossed he wins the Portico Prize tonight for it.

Aye,

Davie

OP Jon Stewart 26 Jan 2020
In reply to DR:

> Fingers crossed he wins the Portico Prize tonight for it.

I'm sure he'll see some of the spoils...

Blue Straggler 26 Jan 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I love how this is a sensible thread yet 90% not about the subject in the title and OP 

OP Jon Stewart 26 Jan 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

After that surprisingly touching novel about the deformed children circus you recommended, I wouldn't be surprised if you enjoyed Beastings...

Blue Straggler 26 Jan 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I will bear it in mind, thanks 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...