Robert Louis Stephenson essay on Fontainebleau

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 owensum 09 Jan 2023

Was digging around some obscure literary corners when I stumbled on this gem. A Robert Louis Stephenson (author of Treasure Island) essay on 19th c. Fontainebleau! I've never seen this mentioned before. It's amazing!

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/30990/30990-h/30990-h.htm#page215

Anyway thought I'd share.

Andy Clarke 09 Jan 2023
In reply to owensum:

Great find. To go with it here's a late-ish work by - for me - the greatest painter of rock who ever lived, Cezanne. Saw it in MOMA last year when I was in New York, sightseeing and doing some easy bouldering in Central Park. Hadn't realised till then that Cezanne might have visited Font.

Post edited at 18:54

Si Witcher 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Andy Clarke:

There's an article here which gives more detail of Cezanne's time in Paris, Barbizon and Fontainebleau: https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/article/cezanne-rock-quarry-provence-ann-du...

OP owensum 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Oh wow that's wonderful! I love Cezanne. There is something magical about the forest there, great to see people like RLS and Cezanne also recognized this same spirit.

DaveHK 09 Jan 2023
In reply to owensum:

Have you read Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes? It's excellent.

OP owensum 09 Jan 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

I have not, thanks for the rec I shall definitely pick it up! His prose really is something else.. one of the all time greats

pneame 10 Jan 2023
In reply to owensum:

Brilliant! How neat. Lovely writing

DaveHK 10 Jan 2023
In reply to owensum:

> I have not, thanks for the rec I shall definitely pick it up! His prose really is something else.. one of the all time greats

He also invented the sleeping bag. 

felt 10 Jan 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

> Have you read Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes? It's excellent.

The GR70. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GR_70

felt 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Andy Clarke:

> the greatest painter of rock who ever lived, Cezanne.

Dalí has entered the chat, although it's all giraffes for courses.

GravitySucks 10 Jan 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

> Have you read Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes? It's excellent.

But more importantly have you read Pete Livesey's version

One of the funniest pieces of 'climbing' writing from one of Britains greatest climbers.  Highly recommended !

http://footlesscrow.blogspot.com/2012/10/travels-with-donkey.html

The world needs more Pete Liveseys

DaveHK 10 Jan 2023
In reply to GravitySucks:

> But more importantly have you read Pete Livesey's version

Yes, it's  brilliant.

"Who the f*** are you?" snarled Kelly graciously.
"Elizabeth," was the gentle reply, then as an afterthought, "and I like screwing." She smiled a beckoning Californian smile at everyone but me, about whom she was obviously reserving judge­ment. Kelly's black eyes bulged as she unwrapped her only luggage, a sort of coloured tea-towel containing a full two-pound block of hashish.

Andy Clarke 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Si Witcher:

Thanks for the link: a very interesting article. I was bowled over by some of the rock and quarry paintings featured in the Tate Cezanne exhibition last year. This beauty combines the Bibemus Quarry with his beloved Mont Sainte-Victoire:

Bulls Crack 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Thanks for posting some impressions..........I'll get my coat

In reply to Andy Clarke:

> Great find. To go with it here's a late-ish work by - for me - the greatest painter of rock who ever lived, Cezanne. Saw it in MOMA last year when I was in New York, sightseeing and doing some easy bouldering in Central Park. Hadn't realised till then that Cezanne might have visited Font.

Nice work, but he could have cleaned the tick-marks up first!

Pero 10 Jan 2023
In reply to owensum:

> Was digging around some obscure literary corners when I stumbled on this gem. A Robert Louis Stephenson (author of Treasure Island) essay on 19th c. Fontainebleau! 

It's Stevenson, surely?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...