RIP Toots Hibbert

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian W 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Really sad, an absolute legend, and one of the most powerful voices I ever heard sing reggae.

Bob Kemp 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Ian W:

Powerful and warm. I remember when Funky Kingston came out a reviewer saying that putting a new Maytals album on and hearing Toots was as warm and comfortable as slipping on your favourite old coat. I couldn’t argue with that.  Such a shame he’s gone. 

Andy Clarke 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Very sad. Part of the soundtrack to my late teens. When I was a student in Cambridge various college authorities were misguidedly trusting enough to let a bunch of us get our own house, in the (in)famous Mill Road. We were lucky to find somewhere just opposite a pub then known as the Mill Road Tavern. It was a gathering place for the small Afro-Caribbean community and played reggae constantly. Friday nights always started to the irresistible beats throbbing through the ganja smoke. Have loved reggae ever since I first heard it - on John Peel of course.

nathan79 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

A proper reggae legend. Such a great voice. I know what the soundtrack for my Sunday run is going to be.

MonkeyPuzzle 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Was fortunate to have seen him live 5 of the 8 times I went to see him play. Actually quite a good hit rate for Toots as I understand it. I know at least one of those times he was there backstage but too stoned to play.

If he'd sung soul instead of reggae he'd be a name like Otis Redding, so good was his voice.

Never Get Weary going on the hi fi now.

wilkie14c 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Very sad, RIP Toots. 

As a Ska fan, Toots was a major influence for all ska bands

Tom Last 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Almost heaven, West Jamaica
True ridge mountains
Shining Minho River
All my friends there
Older than those ridge
Younger than the mountains
Blowin' like a breeze

Country roads take me home
To the place I belong
West Jamaica, my ol' momma
Take me home country roads

Rest in peace 54-46

mick taylor 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy

Title track from recently released album, really good..

youtube.com/watch?v=7nYjZLmjxlM&

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Sad but on the bright side a good day on the radio. 

aln 13 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I've been a huge reggae fan since about 1977. But while it's obviously sad Toots has died, there were/are loads better singers, and better music than the Maytals. As a singer, Gregory Isaacs for instance, as a powerful voice, Burning Spear, Derrick Simpson etc. Culture, Gladiators, Lee Perry, and loads more made better records. 

Timmd 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I always felt that there was a certain uplifting quality to Toot's voice when he sang - something about the strength of the human spirit within it, and then I learned about his upbringing singing in the Jamaican church, and how he'd lost both his parents close together around the age of 15, and heard him in a recent interview talking about the need to spread positivity, and then what I felt I was hearing in his singing started to make sense, in how it must have taken a certain quality to sustain himself and to go after his musical dreams following his losses, as if that combined with his goal of spreading positivity, and maybe any religious faith too, all came though melded together in his singing and performing. 

I've always played Toots a lot, and couldn't help but dance when I went to see him outdoors in 2012.

RIP and many thanks for the tunes, Toots.

Post edited at 01:52
 Timmd 21 Sep 2020
In reply to aln:

> I've been a huge reggae fan since about 1977. But while it's obviously sad Toots has died, there were/are loads better singers, and better music than the Maytals. As a singer, Gregory Isaacs for instance, as a powerful voice, Burning Spear, Derrick Simpson etc. Culture, Gladiators, Lee Perry, and loads more made better records. 

This isn't about them, though, it's about Toots....

Post edited at 01:58

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...