Loading Notifications...

RIP Toots Hibbert

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Andy Hardy 12 Sep 2020
 Ian W 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Really sad, an absolute legend, and one of the most powerful voices I ever heard sing reggae.

Bob Kemp 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Ian W:

Powerful and warm. I remember when Funky Kingston came out a reviewer saying that putting a new Maytals album on and hearing Toots was as warm and comfortable as slipping on your favourite old coat. I couldn’t argue with that.  Such a shame he’s gone. 

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Very sad. Part of the soundtrack to my late teens. When I was a student in Cambridge various college authorities were misguidedly trusting enough to let a bunch of us get our own house, in the (in)famous Mill Road. We were lucky to find somewhere just opposite a pub then known as the Mill Road Tavern. It was a gathering place for the small Afro-Caribbean community and played reggae constantly. Friday nights always started to the irresistible beats throbbing through the ganja smoke. Have loved reggae ever since I first heard it - on John Peel of course.

nathan79 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

A proper reggae legend. Such a great voice. I know what the soundtrack for my Sunday run is going to be.

MonkeyPuzzle 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Was fortunate to have seen him live 5 of the 8 times I went to see him play. Actually quite a good hit rate for Toots as I understand it. I know at least one of those times he was there backstage but too stoned to play.

If he'd sung soul instead of reggae he'd be a name like Otis Redding, so good was his voice.

Never Get Weary going on the hi fi now.

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Very sad, RIP Toots. 

As a Ska fan, Toots was a major influence for all ska bands

Tom Last 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Almost heaven, West Jamaica
True ridge mountains
Shining Minho River
All my friends there
Older than those ridge
Younger than the mountains
Blowin' like a breeze

Country roads take me home
To the place I belong
West Jamaica, my ol' momma
Take me home country roads

Rest in peace 54-46

In reply to Andy Hardy

Title track from recently released album, really good..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7nYjZLmjxlM

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Sad but on the bright side a good day on the radio. 

aln 13 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I've been a huge reggae fan since about 1977. But while it's obviously sad Toots has died, there were/are loads better singers, and better music than the Maytals. As a singer, Gregory Isaacs for instance, as a powerful voice, Burning Spear, Derrick Simpson etc. Culture, Gladiators, Lee Perry, and loads more made better records. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.