RIP Peter Green, man of the world no more

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hugely influential guitarist, co-founder of Fleetwood Mac, wonderful blues player and notorious casualty of bad acid.  

Rest in peace, Peter Green.

T.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53539989

Removed User 25 Jul 2020
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

I've never stopped playing his music. Saw him in Holmfirth years back.

Favourite track; Man of the world.

In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

I'd rate this as my favourite; just.

youtube.com/watch?v=GAoVueVK98o&

T.

Jp 25 Jul 2020

Brilliant musician, one of the best. He made that Les Paul sing like no one else could. Where others contrived to be louder, faster, more intricate, he kicked back all cool and easy and let his fingers do their thing. I will miss him.

Doug 25 Jul 2020

Sad news, only saw him play once but a great evening.

Tiggs 25 Jul 2020
In reply to Pursued by a bear: So, so sad.  Soundtrack to my early teens.  Smooching to Albatross.  But Man of the World & Oh Well were so very good.  Shocked when he disappeared from FM.  A genius.  RIP

Post edited at 17:51
 Andy Say 25 Jul 2020

The man that B.B.King rated as his biggest 'threat' - 'he had such a tone'.

Very sad news indeed, a great guitarist and one of my early musical heroes. I’ll be listening to him this evening and raising  a glass to him. 

Post edited at 19:17
 abr1966 25 Jul 2020

Yes....a great and very influential guitarist...the early Fleetwood Mac blues stuff is classic...

brownie mike 25 Jul 2020

Hopefully he's finally found peace. Sadly missed

veteye 25 Jul 2020

I loved his playing. My older brother introduced me to Fleetwood Mac when I was about 9-10, and then I gradually introduced my friends over the next few years.

My brother sat next to him on a train from Manchester across to Leeds, and the nature of the man by that time was so sad. I was not aware that it was drug induced; I had just thought that it was in his genetic make up or similar. I was obviously too naive, and wanted to believe the best in him.

I agree with all, that going and playing some of his stuff is obligatory this weekend.

Without detracting from Peter Green's playing, I would say that Paul Kossoff played as alluring a tone of Les Paul on some of his songs with Free, and spin off bands, such as Kossoff, Kirk, Tetsu, and Rabbit. Yet it is Peter Green that I'll lament the passing of in the next weeks. Who'll there be around in the next few years. All the great music artists are dimishing in number.

In reply to veteye:

That’s the Les Paul that was subsequently owned by Gary Moore and now sits on a stand in the hallway of Kirk Hammett’s house. One of the recent interviews said that he plays it most days. He won’t talk about the price, but it seems like he paid $2M for it.

IM 26 Jul 2020

A sublime guitar player. Also a great singer and composer. He played a mean harmonica too. Sad to think he is gone. 

In the late 60's I was a fan of John Mayall and first heard Peter Green on the Hard Road album which I thought was great. When he left to form his own group (supported by Mayall who gave him a recording slot at a studio for free) I thought he was brilliant - Fleetwood Mac & Mr Wonderful were always playing. When he left I lost interest in FM - they were not Peter Green's FM, however time has mellowed my opinion and I now see them as a band in their own right. I was really excited when he re-appeared on the scene with Splinter Group and was lucky enough to see John Mayall & Peter Green on a double bill at Warwick Uni sometime in the early 2000's. There were hints of some of their magic in that show - Mayall noted that it wasn't bad for two musicians whose combined age was 150! I read somewhere that to make his comeback he had to totally re-learn how to play but when he got the mechanics of it his personal sound returned and those SG albums are superb.

Rest in peace Peter Green - you entertained many in your lifetime.

jaggy bunnet 26 Jul 2020
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Anything Kirk plays goes through a wawa pedal, so deleting the natural sound of that guitar . Should never have left the Moore family in my opinion but that’s another story. Gary played some of the sweetest tunes on Greeny and really done it justice. Peter acknowleged that, not sure Gary would of Kirk.

In reply to jaggy bunnet:

> Anything Kirk plays goes through a wawa pedal, so deleting the natural sound of that guitar . Should never have left the Moore family in my opinion but that’s another story. Gary played some of the sweetest tunes on Greeny and really done it justice. Peter acknowleged that, not sure Gary would of Kirk.

Would have been better ending up in Marty Friedman’s hands 😂

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...