RIP Jerry Lee Lewis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doug 28 Oct 2022

Another of the legends of rock & roll has just died.

https://www.lemonde.fr/disparitions/article/2022/10/28/le-pianiste-de-rock-...

The New NickB 28 Oct 2022
In reply to Doug:

Great tunes, but abusive paedophile!

Andy Hardy 29 Oct 2022
In reply to The New NickB:

Agreed. He was a wrong un. 2 wives died in mysterious circumstances, luckily his cousin was the sheriff investigating. That's as well as the marrying a 13 year old, and numerous accounts of racist behaviour.

deepsoup 29 Oct 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Yep, he was a wrong 'un.  I prefer my musical heroes to be at least reasonably decent human beings so I won't be raising a glass to this guy.

nufkin 29 Oct 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Hmm. Might skip the Spotify tribute play on this occasion then

Jim Lancs 29 Oct 2022

The Guardian's obituary:.
"Lewis embodied pinched obduracy, brooding, malevolent ignorance, violent unreliability and borderline madness. He abused women, played with guns and shot at men; he drove the highways of the south blind drunk with his loaded pistol on the dashboard. Yet in the vivid contrast between the meanness of the man and the grandeur of the artist, the common denominators were his phenomenal energy and admirable, all-conquering self-belief".

Post edited at 10:17
 Rob Parsons 01 Nov 2022
In reply to Jim Lancs:

> The Guardian's obituary:."Lewis embodied pinched obduracy, brooding, malevolent ignorance, violent unreliability and borderline madness. He abused women, played with guns and shot at men; he drove the highways of the south blind drunk with his loaded pistol on the dashboard. Yet in the vivid contrast between the meanness of the man and the grandeur of the artist, the common denominators were his phenomenal energy and admirable, all-conquering self-belief".

That's a nice line.

Lewis was there right from the start of rock and roll. He was crazy; we were afraid of him; we loved him.

Thanks for the music, man. Another legend gone.

Pero 03 Nov 2022
In reply to Doug:

I can't imagine anything JLL is less likely to do than "rest in peace". 

JLS 03 Nov 2022
In reply to Doug:

It was interesting to read the thoughts of the then teenager he married... She seems very forgiving.

Nout strange as folk.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2022-10-29/jerry-lee...

fred99 03 Nov 2022
In reply to Doug:

The real object of derision (or disgust) regarding him marrying someone so young must really be the Louisiana State itself.

Until 2019 they didn't have a minimum age to marry. Such a position taken by State authorities would lead people from there to regard marrying at 13 - or even having sex at such an  age as "normal".

One does wonder whether locals attitudes to such youthful sexual involvement has indeed changed since.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...