RIP Dusty Hill - ZZ top

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian W 28 Jul 2021
Thread moved from Off Belay to Culture Bunker

Sad news from texas; one of the great characters. Saw ZZtop live at the tube studio in 1984(?). tremendous stuff close up, going to watch on youtube tomight.

didntcomelast 28 Jul 2021
In reply to Ian W:

I too was saddened to learn of Hills death. I also watched a number of ZZ Top videos on YouTube followed by an evening of 80’s rock videos. AC/DC, Guns&Roses, Van Halen, it was great watching the energy those bands expressed and inspired. 

I made me think, whilst the 80’s lacked many things, energy in music was not one of them. The rock bands gave me an opportunity to vent a fair bit of my pent up energy which today’s music just doesn’t. 

Not sure how most of the rock stars of that generation would manage in today’s world though. Can you picture a 22yr old Axel Rose or David Lee Roth living the 80’s lifestyle in 2021. Can’t imagine how many groupies they “interacted” with would behave today. 

wilkie14c 29 Jul 2021
In reply to Ian W:

didn’t realise he was 72. Going to put Eliminator on tonight and sit in my cheap sunglasses. RIP Dusty.

Mark Bannan 29 Jul 2021
In reply to Ian W:

Very sad news. "Eliminator" was the first album I ever bought, back in 1985! They were superb.

In reply to Ian W:

Saw ZZTop loads of times after buying ‘Tres Hombres’ sometime around ‘77. Tremendous bass player with a good voice which all fitted brilliantly with Billy Gibbons. Real shame that he’s gone. 
They really captured the zeitgeist of MTV with the eliminator album, but it’s the earlier albums that plant a flag for a brilliant blues band with a killer guitarist. Going to dig out ‘Deguello’.

nikoid 29 Jul 2021
In reply to wilkie14c:

Maybe have a TV dinner too.

In reply to nikoid:

> Maybe have a TV dinner too.

I like the chicken if the sauce is not too blue

wilkie14c 29 Jul 2021
In reply to nikoid:

Said like a sharp dressed man

nathan79 29 Jul 2021
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Very sad to hear. They were one of my "must-see" bands and I finally ticked them off in Glasgow a couple of years ago.

Alot of people just associated them with the '80's glossy pop rock stuff, but those '70's albums are great. "La Grange" is one of my top ten all-time tunes.

philipivan 29 Jul 2021
In reply to Ian W:

If you haven't seen the ZZ Top documentary on Netflix I would HIGHLY recommend!

coinneach 29 Jul 2021
In reply to philipivan:

Saw them at the Glasgow Apollo on the Eliminator tour.

One of my top three ever gigs and still play La Grange and Sharp Dressed Man with my band.

coinneach 29 Jul 2021
In reply to philipivan:

Loved the bit when Frank Beard dissed Eric Clapton because he "only" smoked heroin !

PaulW 29 Jul 2021
In reply to Ian W:

Good obit in the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jul/29/dusty-hill-lifted-zz-top-into...

A band to dip back into for sure

OP Ian W 29 Jul 2021
In reply to philipivan:

> If you haven't seen the ZZ Top documentary on Netflix I would HIGHLY recommend!

Seen it. Also highly recommend their very latest stuff, and also Billy gibbons' solo stuff. The video of 25 lighters reprises the eliminator era stuff, and features some absolutely cool cars. The 3 window WFG drives is just the mutts nuts. Spend some time on YouTube watching them, especially live on the Tube. That was a bit different even for that programme.

Ceiriog Chris 29 Jul 2021
In reply to Ian W:

I remember watching that episode of the tube (but sadly on the TV not live) I remember they were really strong, wished Id had seen them live but never got chance, 

Boomer Doomer 30 Jul 2021
In reply to Ian W:

Sad news indeed. So ends the longest unchanged line up of any band in music history (52 years!) I saw them at Milton Keynes Bowl in the eighties... they were fantastic. A very unrated bass player and a fantastic gravelly voice. Let's remember him how we should and how he would want to be:

youtube.com/watch?v=SGW4qMUysAQ&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...