RIP D.H. Peligro

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 65 31 Oct 2022

RIP to the drummer of the world's best ever punk band.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/oct/31/dh-peligro-dead-kennedys-drum...

Offwidth 01 Nov 2022
In reply to 65:

From wikipedia...

"On March 25, 1980, Dead Kennedys were invited to perform at the Bay Area Music Awards in an effort to give the event some "new wave credibility", in the words of the organizers. The day of the performance was spent practicing the song they were asked to play, the underground hit "California über alles". The band became the talking point of the ceremony when after about 15 seconds into the song, Biafra stopped the band—in a manner reminiscent of Elvis Costello's Saturday Night Live appearance—and said, "Hold it! We've gotta prove that we're adults now. We're not a punk rock band, we're a new wave band. The band, all wearing white shirts with a big, black S painted on the front, pulled black ties from around the backs of their necks to form a dollar sign, then started playing a new song titled "Pull My Strings", a barbed, satirical attack on the ethics of the mainstream music industry, which contained the lyrics, "Is my c^ck big enough, is my brain small enough, for you to make me a star?".

OP 65 01 Nov 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

A great moment.

kmsands 01 Nov 2022
In reply to 65:

Why do I always hear their greatest song as:

"It's a holiday in Snowdonia

It's tough kid, but it's life"

dread-i 01 Nov 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

Sad news.

Nazi punks 4 cough.

There was an interview by Opera, where Jello ripped the right wing 'parental advisory' group and all their right wing backers. Highlighting to the Rabbi, who supported the PMRC, just what a dodgy bunch of backers they had.

The first 3 mins are awesome, but all of his input is fantastic.

youtube.com/watch?v=IKRGX1a-JBE&

Clwyd Chris 01 Nov 2022
In reply to 65:

I saw them in Blackburn in 80, only a handful of people there, good band live although I never really got East Bay Ray, he looked and played like he should have been in a prog band to be honest 

OP 65 01 Nov 2022
In reply to Clwyd Chris:

I saw them the same year in Edinburgh, awesome and a bit scary to a 16 year old who'd only seen relatively genteel bands like ACDC and Motorhead. Yes, despite the fury they were probably the first well known punk band who could actually play quite well, which some punks didn't approve of. I loved Rays surf derived sounds, and still do.

I feel the kitchen office is going to be noisy today.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...