Reader's corner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Mountaineering book are fantastic, but this once, I’m looking for something away from the genre, for a change. Any suggestions?

tehmarks 10 Mar 2018
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

Recent non-fiction reads of mine include Company Commander and Junior Officers' Reading Club. Both about the authors' experiences in Afghanistan and other recent theatres of conflict. Both very interesting, in very different styles.

If you enjoy fantasy novels, mostly anything by David Gemmell will be good, and Patrick Rothfuss' The Kingkiller Chronicles trilogy is fantastic. Unfortunately it's a trilogy without a third book, and you might be waiting for a long time for it to happen!

In reply to tehmarks:

I do enjoy a fantasy novel but with some satire woven in, I really enjoyed Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. The non-fiction reads you mention also look intriguing. Thanks

tehmarks 10 Mar 2018

Neil Gaiman's other books are well worth a read if you haven't come across them. Neverwhere and American Gods are both brilliant and along the same satirical lines as Good Omens.

Non fiction - the Fergus Fleming books 'Barrow's Boys' and '90 degrees north' are cracking yarns of exploration with a great pace and wit. The insanity and hubris as well as astonishing courage and insurance are perfect for a rainy night in. 

Thanks all. All of the suggestions look interesting, I opted for Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, I'll work my way through the other ideas later.

Keep 'em coming!

Stichtplate 10 Mar 2018

If you enjoy fantasy with satire, try Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy. Absolutely cracking.

John Kelly 10 Mar 2018

Andrew Hibberts - French revolution

John Macphee - Annals of the former world

Greasy Prusiks 10 Mar 2018

Tom Holt and Jasper Fford are really good if you like satire. Holts novels are in a style similar to Good Omens. Fford writes a range of series, don't be put off if you hear them described as crime or detective books, I dislike those genres but really like Fford. 

overdrawnboy 10 Mar 2018

Gormenghast trilogy, especially the first two parts, fantasy, satire and a stunning bit of climbing writing when Steerpike is crossing the castle roofs.

nickh1964 14 Mar 2018

Just read Steve Earle (yes, that one ") Ill never get out of this world alive", very good novel about sixties US Texas, not  a big book, very enjoyable.

For sheer beauty and thought provoking try Georges Perec "A man asleep" or his masterpiece Life, a users guide.

"Consider Phlebas" by Ian M Banks, one of my all time fave books and IMHO the best sci fi book.

Pre James Bond knockabout fun -the Chandos books by Dornford Yates, when men were men, gooides good and baddies evil.

HTH 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...