Ranking Roger Rocks the Casbah

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deepsoup 15 Dec 2022

Not a cover version, because it's still The Clash..
(But feel free to turn this into a cover version thread, it's been a wee while since we had one of those.)

This 40 year-old recording only recently came to light, I'd never heard it until Lauren Laverne played it on the radio this morning.  Thought I'd share it here because it's wonderful:

youtube.com/watch?v=69zglj8jYNA&

critter 15 Dec 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

Great stuff! Saw both 'The Beat' and ' The Clash' in my long ago youth.

Never aware of this, thanks.

RIP Joe and Rankin Roger

Kryank 15 Dec 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

Good old 6 music, the amount of amazing old “new to me” stuff I have heard on there still blows me away! By far the best radio station out there (Still struggle with some of MAH  mid morning show though). 

ripper 15 Dec 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

Gilles Peterson is the one I struggle with but still literally the only radio station ever on in my house or car.

65 16 Dec 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

Brilliant.

Hooo 16 Dec 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

Love it. Roger rescues my least favourite Clash song and makes it into something great.

Hooo 16 Dec 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

Tom Robinson played this cover the other day, it's a new favourite for me: 

youtube.com/watch?v=IAnjRT1c4Uo&

steveriley 16 Dec 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

I flipping love this Sparks version of We Are The Clash (and of course they're not!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz9l3UekKuw&t=13s 

Honourable mention too Pete Wylie's pub version of Stay Free:  youtube.com/watch?v=kl0QzGoW8ZU&

Or this dubbed up Bankrobber from Black Market Clash:  youtube.com/watch?v=0JUKTEleZTA&

Ian W 16 Dec 2022
In reply to critter:

> Great stuff! Saw both 'The Beat' and ' The Clash' in my long ago youth.

> Never aware of this, thanks.

> RIP Joe and Rankin Roger

Going to have to dig out some of that stuff tonight! When I was a student in sunny Birmingham, a few of us went to the Barrel Organ in Digbeth, because it often had punk / ska bands on, and it was a particularly unexciting thursday evening. Little did we (or anyone else in attendance) know that this was the evening General Public played their first ever gig. Been a fan ever since.

In reply to steveriley:

My current favourite cover band are still Broken Peach and their version of Tainted Love has to be one of their best

youtube.com/watch?v=Q45yicposyI&

steveriley 16 Dec 2022
In reply to Colin Scotchford:

Gosh, that was something. Enjoyed their Personal Jesus too.

Ian W 16 Dec 2022
In reply to steveriley:

Here's some good cover versions by a french lot called Shaka Ponk, including Personal Jesus again....

youtube.com/watch?v=WLouJNjatXQ&

youtube.com/watch?v=B73lfb8RL14&

youtube.com/watch?v=85nuC8rNn44&

youtube.com/watch?v=6NXvc6mnNKY&

aln 18 Dec 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

I've been enjoying that for a few months now on 6. But I thought it was a new mash up, didn't know it was 40 yr old!

aln 18 Dec 2022
In reply to Colin Scotchford:

Loved that!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...