Raiders of the lost Ark - Flashback

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Morning , 

I treated myself to going to watch "Raiders of the lost Ark" last night at the local cinema.

It came out in 1981 

I was 5 then .

I always loved the film and last nights showing was awesome on the big screen and cleaned up.

There was only 12 people in the pictures with me .

Went for a Weatherpersons BBQ burger deal before walking over to go watch it.

One point that was noticeable this time was how violent some of the scenes are.

Nazi's , Arabs,  Nepalese henchmen being shot in the head, people melting, heads exploding etc...

How did that get a PG ?

All in all a brilliant film and surely one of the bets ever made ?

How can Hollywood with all it's money, technology and actors struggle today to come close to such a iconic epic film.

I can't fault the film in any way , it's that good.

The casting is spot on but how can you forget Ronald Lacey as Major Arnold Toht - So so very creepy .

:-D

Philip 24 Sep 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

It's a good film. But Indiana Jones has no effect on the outcome of the film. Despite all his efforts the Nazis find the Ark and then die.

Toby_W 24 Sep 2019
In reply to Philip:

Brilliant Bang Theory episode, credit your sources!

Sorry, academic habit

Cheers

Toby

wilkie14c 24 Sep 2019

The floor looks like it’s moving Indy...

In reply to wilkie14c:

Asps, very dangerous – you go first"

Mike-W-99 24 Sep 2019

Thankyou, dug out the dvd and watching it tonight with the stereo cranked up high(we have no neighbours..).

I'd forgotten that It does have a very high body count indeed with methods that Tarantino would be proud of.

The cairo scenes reminded me a lot of mos eisley in Star Wars.

I'd also not realised that Lacey was the Bishop of Bath & Wells in my favourite Blackadder episode.

Post edited at 21:58
 Welsh Kate 24 Sep 2019

I went to university in 1984 to study classical archaeology. Some of my fellow young female students were there under the impression that the male archaeologists would look like Harrison Ford.

Have you ever watched Time Team?

DerwentDiluted 24 Sep 2019

> The casting is spot on but how can you forget Ronald Lacey as Major Arnold Toht - So so very creepy .

So.... it wasn't... a young Michael Gove then?  

Gutted.

subtle 24 Sep 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> I went to university in 1984 to study classical archaeology. Some of my fellow young female students were there under the impression that the male archaeologists would look like Harrison Ford.

Pathetic- surely all female archaeologists look like Alice Roberts, no?

The next cinema flashback I'm going to see is the mighty

"Wrath of Khan" 

That going to be brilliant as well.

Khan: To the last I grapple with thee. From hell's heart I stab at thee. For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee.

Khan: I've done far worse than kill you. I've hurt you. And I wish to go on... hurting you. I shall leave you as you left me, as you left her. Marooned for all eternity, in the center of a dead planet... buried alive. Buried alive.

James T. Kirk: KHHHHAAAAAAAAN!

:-D

McHeath 25 Sep 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> Some of my fellow young female students were there under the impression that the male archaeologists would look like Harrison Ford.

Hoping to find one they could really dig ...

In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Thankyou, dug out the dvd and watching it tonight with the stereo cranked up high(we have no neighbours..).

Your welcome. 

> I'd also not realised that Lacey was the Bishop of Bath & Wells in my favourite Blackadder episode.

Really , I had no idea it was.   I'll have to go find a YouTube clip and check it out. 

PS: 

I've just seen that he is in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" (1989) as Heinrich Himmler (uncredited)

Movie trivia morning .

Post edited at 09:13
baron 25 Sep 2019
In reply to Philip:

> It's a good film. But Indiana Jones has no effect on the outcome of the film. Despite all his efforts the Nazis find the Ark and then die.

Jeez, I’ve waited 38 years for the right moment to watch this film and you’ve just given away the ending!

More-On 25 Sep 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> Have you ever watched Time Team?

>

I'm delighted to report that not a single person in our office, nor the two sites I've visited today, was wearing a stripy jumper or a sweat stained hat...

...the profession might just be moving on

It was exciting being at Elstree while Raiders was being filmed. I went into the huge snake tomb set several times (a mixture of several thousand garter snakes and plastic snakes) - the movie came in straight after The Shining and that tomb set was on the very same stage that had been used a few months earlier for the Colorado Lounge on TS. Lots of stories about it, but will save for my book on the time I was in the film industry. 

Very sadly, that part of the studio no longer exists, and the floor of that stage is now under the car park of Tesco in Borehamwood. I guess only about one in a million shoppers now realise what amazing things went on there once.

Post edited at 00:36
 Thunderbird7 28 Sep 2019
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

No! I think you'll find he was the Illinois Nazi in The Blues Brothers....

youtube.com/watch?v=ulCw7RJ5eE8&

Dave Garnett 28 Sep 2019

> Khan: To the last I grapple with thee. From hell's heart I stab at thee. For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee.

Yes. Was it ever made clear how Khan had developed his interest in Melville?

Dave Garnett 28 Sep 2019

> The casting is spot on but how can you forget Ronald Lacey as Major Arnold Toht - So so very creepy .

"Zo, vat shall ve talk about?" 

Mark Bannan 28 Sep 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> ...Some of my fellow young female students were there under the impression that the male archaeologists would look like Harrison Ford...

Quite understandable to me. I saw the film when I was 10 when it first came out. Terrific film with the interesting effect that I grew up thinking an archaeologists tools of the trade were a bullwhip and a machete.

freeflyer 28 Sep 2019

>> The next cinema flashback I'm going to see is the mighty "Wrath of Khan"

Ok, but then you *have* to watch IV the Voyage Home. Prepare for Time Travel.

Cap'n there be whales here!!

Colorful metaphors.

Post edited at 18:04
 Blue Straggler 28 Sep 2019
In reply to freeflyer:

The hell it is

planetmarshall 28 Sep 2019

> I can't fault the film in any way , it's that good.

I love the film - and it's John Williams' finest film soundtrack - but aside from the 'Big Bang' criticism, it's always bothered me - how does Indy know that if he closes his eyes he'll be safe from the Ark?

Removed User 28 Sep 2019
In reply to planetmarshall:

Because he read the pamphlet that came with it.

In reply to planetmarshall:

> I love the film - and it's John Williams' finest film soundtrack - but aside from the 'Big Bang' criticism, it's always bothered me - how does Indy know that if he closes his eyes he'll be safe from the Ark?

Apparently Indy explains in a deleted scene that anything that looks at the contents of the ark dies.

A few people ask the same question. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...