Podcast recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sealwife 25 Mar 2022

Any recommendations for interesting podcasts, mainly climbing/outdoors generally or running?

Things I have recently enjoyed are the Helen Mort and Gwen Moffat collaboration, that spooky story about the haunted bothy and James Lasletts running podcasts, although he very nearly lost me immediately by his intro “Helllloooooo” sounding so much like that Stompy Longnose kids minecraft bloke.

I spend way more time than I’d like to, hanging around in car parks waiting for kids etc and actually being engaged with something  or learning something new would be a better use of my time.

I’ve a low tolerance of pointless waffle and endless preambles.

stubbed 25 Mar 2022
In reply to Sealwife:

I'm interested to hear recommendations too. I can recommend some non-climbing ones: BBC's 'Putin' for some background and 'Unfollow' - also Fake Heiress and Missing Cryptoqueen.

climb41 25 Mar 2022
In reply to Sealwife:

Hi, read in your post about James Lasletts running podcast, but can't find anything under that name. Can you give me a bit more info?

Thanks. 

In reply to stubbed:

It might because of my age but 13 minutes to the moon had me hooked. Flying a bean tin to the moon and back, heck!  Available on BBC Sounds. 

BattyMilk 25 Mar 2022
In reply to Deleated bagger:

Nota podcast but if you’re into the moon landings and the Apollo programme check out this : https://apolloinrealtime.org/

I think it’s one of the best things on the web. You can replay some of the Apollo missions (inc 11) in real time and watch and hear media along with all the audio recordings between the space craft and ground sport along the timeline. Mind blowing amounts of effort has gone into it

climb41 25 Mar 2022
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

That's great. Thank you. 

climb41 25 Mar 2022
In reply to Sealwife:

I really enjoyed this series. 

https://podtail.com/en/podcast/bob-graham-sounds/

OP Sealwife 25 Mar 2022
In reply to climb41:

That’s because he is called Paul Laslett and I got his name wrong.

OP Sealwife 25 Mar 2022
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Yep - I got his name wrong - sorry

RJML 27 Mar 2022
In reply to Sealwife:

Hi!

A couple of my go to podcasts are:

The Adventure Podcast by Matt Pycroftt

New episodes weekly. Broad range of topics covered. Generally speaking each episode is a discussion with a varied cast of leading outdoor adventurers.

The Sharp End by Ashley Saupe 

Probably one of my favourite podcasts. New episodes monthly. Supported by the American Alpine Club. Each episode is a discussion with somebody (generally climbers or mountaineers) who have experienced an accident in their particular outdoor pursuit. The podcast talks through the lead up to the event, what happened and any learnings that may have been gained. 

The Firn Line by Evan Phillips

The podcast’s tag line is: ‘A podcast about the lives of mountain climbers’… Probably don’t need to say much more about that one.

Hope you enjoy!

Edit: wording

Post edited at 18:28
 Bobling 27 Mar 2022
In reply to Sealwife:

You've probably already been there but in case not Grimer's podcast "Jamcrack" is very good, though I must confess I've not kept up with it but lots of good stuff.  Dermot Somers' Dark Mourne episode was brilliant http://www.niallgrimes.com/jam-crack-climbing-podcast/dark-mourne.

Also the Enormocast.....hundreds of hours of listening there!

dread-i 28 Mar 2022
In reply to Sealwife:

Everything Endurance by the Beyond the Ultimate folks.

Not just runners, but a broad spectrum of outdoors people doing bonkers things. Rowing across oceans, blind Olympic cyclists, the big ultra races and runners etc. Plus episodes on nutrition, sleep deprivation and other similar topics.

Sadly it seems to have stopped at xmas, but there are lots of back episodes. 

Post edited at 09:27
 climbingpixie 28 Mar 2022
In reply to Deleated bagger:

I really enjoyed that one too. I was born over a decade after the moon landings so I'd always just viewed them as an interesting historical achievement. I really hadn't appreciated the audacity and ambition behind the venture until I listened to the podcast and realised quite how incredible it was.

MisterPiggy 28 Mar 2022
In reply to Sealwife:

Hi,

All my favourites have already been listed. A couple are missing, The Cutting Edge from American Alpine Journal and The Runout.

Of those listed so far, I'd say that the Sharp End is most empathetic, and the Enormocast is the one that's had me blow hot tea out through my nose on several occasions.

Non-climbing pods: Filmreads (adaptations of famous film, for laughs); NPR's Fresh Air; B&H Photography Podcast; and the classic History of the World in 100 objects.

Happy listening !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...