Piano music for a funeral

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hooo 30 Mar 2019

As per the thread title. I've been tasked with choosing some piano music for a funeral next week, something "classical", not challenging, about 10 minutes or so. A recording, not a piece for someone to play. They weren't a big music fan, so there isn't a favourite piece that I can use.

Please let me have your recommendations.

john arran 30 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

George Winston's recording of Pachelbel's Canon is beautiful and could fit the bill very well.

youtube.com/watch?v=QE-_3b7bqRM&

overdrawnboy 30 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

Keith Jarrett Cologne Concert.

The Lemming 30 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

Flight of bumblebee song.

mbh 30 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

For my Dad's funeral, more than a quarter of a century ago, I asked for the first movement of Schubert's sonata D894, played by Radu Lupu. That's because we both loved it (I still do) and we had been to see Lupu play. It was one of the last things we did together. 

You might think it a bit doom laden in tone. I don't, I think it is sombre, serious and magnificent, but that's by the by. I think the same of Chopin's Nocturnes. They are lovely and would fit a funeral well.

It's hard to make suggestions since we don't know who will be there, but for something lighter you can't go wrong with Schubert's Impromptus or Moments Musicaux, or Mozart's Sonata No. 11, Theme and Variations.

Hillseeker 30 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

A friend of mine wants Clair de Lune at hers.

planetmarshall 30 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

Depends on the mood. Vladimir's Blues by Max Richter could be a good fit.

But then I had Souza's Philadelphia March played at my Grandfather's funeral.

full stottie 30 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

Some not too heavy suggestions for popular classics

Liszt:  youtube.com/watch?v=KpOtuoHL45Y&

Or Mozart's famous andante  youtube.com/watch?v=df-eLzao63I&

Janacek;  youtube.com/watch?v=_lFekGwREs4&

Schubert:  youtube.com/watch?v=L4B1IJmjsyo&

Something contemporary:  youtube.com/watch?v=CFAuTqIzJzI&

Does it have to be piano?

Rodriguez Guitar concerto:  youtube.com/watch?v=x4QrJc3VQDo&

Dvorak Serenade for strings:  youtube.com/watch?v=CRcbDMg56yg&

You could also go pseudo-classical new agey things like:

Secret Garden;  youtube.com/watch?v=OFZhhw3QuuA&

Dave

Pyreneenemec 30 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

Not piano, but a hammered dulcimer. Northern Lights / Carolan's Ramble To Cashel.

youtube.com/watch?v=GFUrT0ildug&

It's a piece of music that always fills me with emotion, especially if I'm listening to it in  a remote, high mountain situation. It could well my choice for that final send-off.

Have a listen, even if you don't find it suitable, you'll enjoy it !

PS

The hammered  dulcimer was used to great effect  by Rachel Portman for the end-titles of 'Still Life'

felt 30 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

It's much shorter than what you asked for, but this is something like what I'd want: the Allemande from J. S. Bach's French Suite No. 2 in C Minor, BWV 813

Neither happy nor sad, certainly not energetic, just reflective and outside time itself. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYca9zEdldc&list=PLfdMKJMGPPtx7cHJDsW8y...

ALF_BELF 30 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZR2JlDnT2l8&

The Lark Ascending - Vaughn Williams 

This isn’t on the keys but it’s a beautiful piece of music, it’s the English countryside bottled in to song format. 

SAF 30 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

Einaudi - le onde

marsbar 30 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

I think fur Elise is lovely 

jcw 30 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

One of the slow movements from Mozart' piano concertos: eg no 20 D minor, no 11 my favorite, the A major no 23, and of course the rightly ever favorite C major. If you want piano solo Liszt Etude in D flat ( un sospiro) might be suitable. 

ThunderCat 30 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

In all seriousness, have you heard 'lick my love pump' by spinal tap? I've always wondered if it was a genuine piece of music or just a nice bit of music with an awful title... 

Shani 30 Mar 2019
In reply to ThunderCat:

> In all seriousness, have you heard 'lick my love pump' by spinal tap? I've always wondered if it was a genuine piece of music or just a nice bit of music with an awful title... 

It's in D minor. "The saddest of all keys."

ThunderCat 30 Mar 2019
In reply to Shani:

> It's in D minor. "The saddest of all keys."

...and is part of a musical trilogy. 

OP Hooo 30 Mar 2019
In reply to All:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Most of them I don't know, so I'll get listening.

OP Hooo 30 Mar 2019
In reply to ThunderCat:

I know it well. I'm almost tempted, but for the trouble I'd be in if one of the family asked what the music was called.

Maybe put it on the list for my funeral...

Wimlands 30 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

Arvo Part

Spiegel im Spiegel

so simple and so moving 

youtube.com/watch?v=V4UI_tvnMqY&

David Alcock 31 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

Third movement of Chopin's Piano Sonata No 2?

Blue Straggler 31 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

Something neutral, neither sad nor upbeat , might be found in Philip Glass 

eg Dance 8, or Metamorphosis. 5 and 7 minutes long respectively. And Annie’s Athens from Candyman 2 is a tiny bit funereal in tone ( a bit short though and has some choir as well)

BWoodward 31 Mar 2019
In reply to Hooo:

Myra Hess arrangement of Bach - Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring    youtube.com/watch?v=vGsPdEm3FfI&

Bach/Marcello adagio youtube.com/watch?v=moI0_rZ_a7o&

Chopin Nocturne in Db major op27 no2   youtube.com/watch?v=nPErSyk5iHs&

Blue Straggler 03 Apr 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Something neutral, neither sad nor upbeat , might be found in Philip Glass 

> eg Dance 8, or Metamorphosis. 5 and 7 minutes long respectively. And Annie’s Athens from Candyman 2 is a tiny bit funereal in tone ( a bit short though and has some choir as well)

Annie's Theme. Autocorrect has been going crazy these past 8 months!

birdie num num 04 Apr 2019
In reply to Hooo:

Adagio Cantabile. Beethoven Pathetique 2nd Movement

In reply to birdie num num:

Apart from being an obviously very good choice, it's very long for the purpose (5 1/2 minutes plus, depending on the pianist) so would probably involve a rather unsatisfactory fade-out at some point. I would have thought that the utterly simple, even more profound, beautiful and moving melody at the end of the last movement of his Op.109 sonata (actually the return of the opening melody) - only 1:20 long - would be absolutely perfect. In this recording of the last few minutes of the sonata, played by Brendel, the melody comes in at 3:10.  youtube.com/watch?v=-1nO6JIDRYY&

Or, if one wants it a bit longer it might be even more effective and moving to start at 0:56.

Post edited at 01:08
 Blue Straggler 04 Apr 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Apart from being an obviously very good choice, it's very long for the purpose (5 1/2 minutes plus

Do you know something about “the purpose” that the OP does not know, given that the OP writes

”As per the thread title. I've been tasked with choosing some piano music for a funeral next week, something "classical", not challenging, about 10 minutes or so” ? 

The purpose of music at a funeral is that it should be fit for a funeral. It must obviously be respectful of the vast majority of those present who will be grieving to different degrees, some to a huge extent. It will ideally be something rather calm and beautiful and undemonstrative that enables people to remember the person who has died with affection and deep respect. The question of taste looms very large. It's all about respect for the dead and the closest relatives. Nothing else really. I'm just saying the extremely obvious. 

Post edited at 02:11
 krikoman 04 Apr 2019

Sounds like someone's thrown a couple of cats inside a piano

krikoman 04 Apr 2019
In reply to Hooo:

Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No.2

OR another vote for Clair De Lune

Failing that some Chas and Dave

In reply to krikoman:

Which part of the Rachmaninov Piano concerto no 2 were you thinking of? The whole thing lasts about 40 minutes. The slow movement lasts for nearly 1/4 hour.

Looking at what I said again last night at 00:58, and see that my main point was about length. There is a real problem with shortage of time at a funeral. Unless you book a double-length time slot, a typical crematorium allows 40 mins per funeral, with just a five minute gap between each. They absolutely HAVE to keep to their schedule. 
So, building in a contingency factor (things have a way of overrunning), one has to aim for not much more than about 35mins overall. The service material, usually conducted by a rector, is likely to take c.15 mins, and then there will be typically at least two addresses, and probably further readings. And then all the bits of music (typically about 4 to 6). 5 minutes of a single piece of music is most likely to be too long (or something else will have to be cut) and will almost certainly feel far too long. 

krikoman 04 Apr 2019

> Which part of the Rachmaninov Piano concerto no 2 were you thinking of? The whole thing lasts about 40 minutes. The slow movement lasts for nearly 1/4 hour.

The good bit I suppose you could play anything longer and simply fade it out, when you've had enough.

In reply to krikoman:

'The good bit'? ! It's all bloody good, all the way through. In fact, one of the most perfect and deservedly popular piano concertos in the entire repertoire.

Pete Dangerous 04 Apr 2019
In reply to Hooo:

I like this as a piece of funeral music. Sad enough to be appropriate but with a glimmer of 'it's gonna be ok with time'. 

Ravel - Mother Goose (The Fairy Garden)

youtube.com/watch?v=5x-u7iw7W1Y&

dread-i 04 Apr 2019
In reply to Hooo:

You dont give any info on age or who might be attending. Here area some piano bits and bobs. I'd go with the person above, that it might be better to have a couple of short pieces, rather than a 10 min opus.

youtube.com/watch?v=FZtBwlxL0Aw&

youtube.com/watch?v=w6eDcEVtIK8&

youtube.com/watch?v=F6dGAZTj8xA&

youtube.com/watch?v=_NPj7M-FE5k&

Blue Straggler 04 Apr 2019

I had already speculated that the OP was not referring to the actual service. Quite a piece of speculation, granted, but I based that speculation on the 10 minute duration requested. Maybe we are all getting too fixated on that aspect. 

jerrytf 05 Apr 2019
In reply to Hooo:

Try Rachmaninov prelude op 23 no 4, not so well known and very beautiful, if anything actually might be a bit too slow and emotional. Liszt Consolation No. 3 is a good one,  youtube.com/watch?v=MfDmUk7ie6s&, 4 and a half minutes, that and some shorter Chopin or Rachmaninov pieces might do it.

full stottie 05 Apr 2019
In reply to Hooo:

Let us know what you went for in the end!

Dave

racodemisa 05 Apr 2019
In reply to Hooo:

Second piano concerto part2 shostakovitch

OP Hooo 06 Apr 2019
In reply to full stottie:

In the end they've gone for Chopin's Nocturne no. 20 in C# minor. 

Thanks for all the suggestions, it was playing these on YouTube that got me the Chopin suggestion.

full stottie 06 Apr 2019
In reply to Hooo:

Thanks for the update. Lots of good suggestions made here. UKC forum at its best.

Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...