Online concerts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 30 Jan 2021

I am watching Celtic connections, and loving the online format! I can watch far more artists than usual, I can just go to bed early and watch the concert from bed, I can fidget as much as I want, there's no tall people in front blocking my view, I can use my phone all I want etc etc!

I hope online tickets are still a thing along side venue tickets once such things can restart! 

dunc56 30 Jan 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Good lord no!

Blue Straggler 31 Jan 2021
In reply to dunc56:

> Good lord no!

It's granting the "VIP box privileges (*)" to the Plebeians and we don't want that

* privileges meaning "you get boasting points for declaring you were there despite not being that interested, and spending the whole event chinwagging, bootlicking and networking" 

PaulW 31 Jan 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I've been streaming some shows and would give them 10% of the live experience at best. Live is way better.

But I do like the idea of paying a small fee to be able to stream a show sometimes, to be able to see multiple shows by my favourite bands when they tour as well as seeing them live once. Also perhaps to see a big name when i would never pay that much for a ticket.

Good to have options

Flinticus 31 Jan 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Not convinced. Been watching dj sets on the laptop. Not a remote substitute for the real thing. For me its akin to having a dog versus a tamagokchi. One is far less hassle but thats missing the point.

dunc56 31 Jan 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Have you not found YouTube yet ? You can go to just about any gig you like. The difference is, you could actually be there. You could feel the music pulse  through your body. You could see the sweat on the brow of the singer as he gave his all in front of a crowd of 250 eager fans. 

augmented reality has a way to go yet.

In reply to PaulW:

> 10% of the live experience at best. Live is way better.

> But I do like the idea of paying a small fee to be able to stream a show sometimes, to be able to see multiple shows by my favourite bands when they tour as well as seeing them live once. Also perhaps to see a big name when i would never pay that much for a ticket.

> Good to have options

And 10% of the live experience is way better than 0%, which is presumably what you are saying. 

In reply to girlymonkey:

I am (was?!) a rather frequent attendee of live concerts. 
I have never liked watching them remotely e.g. BBC broadcasts of the Glastonbury festival. But that's merely been down to sour grapes and jealousy on my part, because I am not THERE. I need to get over that. Actually I do enjoy the Tiny Desk concerts and KCRW sessions you find on YouTube as there is not really a jealousy of attendees, especially KCRW as there IS no audience anyway. 

During Lockdown Pt 1 (the original and so far still the best), I did dip my toe into a couple of the Tim Burgess Twitter "album listening parties" which felt surprisingly involving, plus one actual paid online live "concert" (Angel Olsen live solo in a beautiful studio in North Carolina), and a couple of much more low-key free "from our lounge" ones e.g. Alessi's Ark and Alice Hubble. Again, a surprising sense of involvement with comments from strangers on the sidebar of whatever media platform is being used (and engagement with artists too, who may be reading the comments as they go. 

Glad you are enjoying it. I am enjoying all the obvious mansplaining on this thread, telling us that it's not like actually being there. Well, duh. 

PaulW 31 Jan 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Yep, not great but better then nothing for sure. And a chance to chip in a little to help bands and venues that might struggle otherwise.

These guys have a good idea, stream three different acts, playing just a couple of songs each and having a chat amongst themselves as well as replying to audience comments.

http://www.greennote.co.uk

OP girlymonkey 31 Jan 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I watched a fabulous Celtic connections one featuring many artists from the islands. Some were in houses but a few were set in some lovely outdoor settings. So much nicer than a standard concert venue! What could be better than snow capped mountains as the backdrop to some excellent folk music?!

No, it's not the same. And if they offered both online and in person tickets next year I would probably go to one concert in Glasgow and then a whole load more online. It also means there are a whole load more tickets available for any one concert!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...