No Concerts orĀ Festivals until Autumn 2021!!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sl@te Head 13 Apr 2020

https://www.nme.com/news/music/coronavirus-healthcare-expert-predicts-conce...

So what were your last couple of gigs?

Mine were Glasvegas and Greta Van Fleet...

Neil Williams 13 Apr 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

It might well be possible to reintroduce seated gigs (much as they're not as much fun) sooner, though, perhaps that's what should be being planned for.

In reply to Sl@te Head:

How many veteran rocks stars will make it that far I wonder....

coinneach 13 Apr 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Jesse Malin and Life Of Riley 

climber34neil 13 Apr 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Drop kick Murphy's, was looking forward to the dead south, oh well another time!

rockcatch 13 Apr 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Beartooth and The Sherlocks

GHawksworth 13 Apr 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

how were Greta Van Fleet? I discovered them through the video you posted on here just over a year ago! Really like some of their stuff!!

GHawksworth 13 Apr 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

I was lucky enough to see BB King seated and as the legend was also seated and spent hald the night talking about his life, it worked very well! It was almost like just a living room natter feel, with Lucille on his lap the whole time. I'd be keen for that sort of event happening again but it'd take a legend like BB King to come around again to do it!

MonkeyPuzzle 13 Apr 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

It was a live jazz band interpreting Boards of Canada's amazing album Music Has The Right To Children. It was, in hindsight predictably, wank.

Prior to that it was Little Simz who was, in hindsight predictably, f*cking brilliant.

OP Sl@te Head 13 Apr 2020
In reply to GHawksworth:

Greta Van Fleet were great, it was interesting to see the mix of young and old fans in the audience. I would definitely go and see them again

Post edited at 18:46
 Neil Williams 13 Apr 2020
In reply to GHawksworth:

My favourite band is the Levellers (saw them in Liverpool not long before the lockdown) and I do like a good bounce around at a gig, but I have seen them seated a couple of times and it did bring a bit more appreciation of the actual music.

Post edited at 18:28
 aln 13 Apr 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I have tickets for The Flaming Lips in July. I've been wondering wether to ask for a refund or hang fire for a while longer. 

philipivan 13 Apr 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Went to see hawkwind and new model army at rock city a few months back. Was pretty good as I hadn't been to any concerts for a while. Was looking forward to seeing iron maiden at download this year too. 

A lot of the musicians I like are in the at- risk category! Brian May's YouTube channel at the moment is hilarious!  youtube.com/watch?v=E4G96YbdQVY&

russellcampbell 13 Apr 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Springsteen at Hampden a couple of years ago. Lovely evening and Brucie and band played their hearts out for about 3 hours but wasted by terrible sound system.  + Half audience spent their time walking about buying hot dogs and the like. First and last stadium gig for me.

Post edited at 19:15
 lightninwolf32 13 Apr 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Bit of an offshoot: if experts are saying concerts will be one of the last things to return post-lockdown, what does that say about indoor climbing gyms!? I can't imagine there's a big difference in contag-ability.

Tobes 13 Apr 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Ride with support from the Soft Cavalry (Rachel of Slowdive and ‘er husband). 
Was right at the front - very loud! that will keep me going for a while at least

In reply to Sl@te Head:

Megadeth and Five Finger Death Punch

prior to that, Slayer

toad 13 Apr 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Think it was New Model Army before christmas. Been feeling a bit bad about having no gigs lined up in the new year, but then the wheels started to come off. Got 3 festivals already booked. One already deferred, and if I'm honest I'm not expecting any to go ahead this year.

I've been watching a number of lock down gigs and giving where I can. Don't know what to think about a year with no live music

Possible my last gig might have been kate Rusby, now I think about it

Post edited at 21:35
 Luke90 13 Apr 2020
In reply to lightninwolf32:

I had the same thought from the headline. But his actual quote seems to be very much referring to the kinds of big events that bring thousands of people together from all over the country.

So I think (hope) climbing walls are quite a different prospect from that.

Northern Star 13 Apr 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Working in the live events industry (which includes exhibitions, corporate stuff, music and festival logistics etc) I can safely say that there won’t be much of an industry left to put on live gigs or outdoor festivals if the ban lasts that long. Companies are already starting to fold, crew will have to retrain and work elsewhere and many current venues will be in terminal trouble if things persist. At present the whole industry has 100% of its work cancelled and we are desperately hoping that things start to move again by the autumn.

chadogrady 14 Apr 2020
In reply to Northern Star:

also in the industry. Touring. The article seems to be one persons opinion. I very much doubt events will be off for another 18 months. 

Blue Straggler 14 Apr 2020
In reply to Tobes:

>  the Soft Cavalry (Rachel of Slowdive and ‘er husband). 

Oh this is VERY interesting, I did not know of this project. I think Mojave 3's "Ask Me Tomorrow" debut album is the most underrated thing on 4AD, the production is perfect, the way Neil's voice almost acts like a vessel to carry Rachel's, when they sing in harmony on it. 

As a reward for bringing this to my attention, have some Mojave 3 Radio 1 session goodness 

www.blue-straggler.net/Mark_Radcliffe/Candle%20Song.mp3

www.blue-straggler.net/Mark_Radcliffe/Oh%20Sister_edit.mp3

www.blue-straggler.net/Mark_Radcliffe/Where%20is%20the%20Love%20_%20Candle%20Song.mp3

Or if you want them with the talky bits too:

www.blue-straggler.net/Mark_Radcliffe/Oh%20Sister.mp3

www.blue-straggler.net/Mark_Radcliffe/Where%20Is%20The%20Love.mp3

Blue Straggler 14 Apr 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Only saw one gig in 2020, which was, happily, a belter.

Anna Meredith at Warwick Arts Centre, February 4th. Ego boosted when she recognised me and remembered my name.

Good support from Elma Orkesta & Ryan Vail. 

OP Sl@te Head 14 Apr 2020
In reply to chadogrady:

As someone who regularly goes to gigs, festivals and the occasional football match, I really hope you're right.

Sadly however, I'm not sure I'll be happy to return to such crowds until I've either been vaccinated or have developed an immunity. If others think the same it will take some time to return to the good old days...

Tobes 14 Apr 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Thanks pal, will report back later 

Blue Straggler 16 Apr 2020
In reply to Tobes:

Hope you liked them !

WaterMonkey 16 Apr 2020
In reply to aln:

> I have tickets for The Flaming Lips in July. I've been wondering wether to ask for a refund or hang fire for a while longer. 

We are booked to see the Killers in June. They haven’t cancelled it yet so I’m waiting until they do and hopefully I’ll get a refund!

Jamie Wakeham 16 Apr 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Ah - I missed out on Greta Van Fleet tickets. Was really keen to see them. 

Our last gig was Alice Cooper. Truly, we were not worthy.

PaulTclimbing 16 Apr 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Going through a 70s rock phase. Cancelled are Van Der Graaf Generator 50 reunion. Yes(probably), Genesis ( nov prob). But I did go to see Steve Hillage with a Gong. Enjoyed this ramped up. And Fairport Convention. Not really my cup of tea but enjoyed the low key way it got under my skin by the end. The audience like it. But bought one ticket via that hateful place Viagogo for VDGG. Anyone know of refund ways from them bar stewards. Do not do Viagogo. They are a danger and a menace to your finances. 

Pefa 17 Apr 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

> So what were your last couple of gigs?

The Exploited in Edinburgh a few years back and Nik Turner's Space Ritual before that. 

I'm not a big fan of gigs although I was tempted to see King Crimson last year but the price for a good seat was astronomical so I left it.

In reply to PaulTclimbing:

Going to Genesis in Newcastle and Glasgow. Could've bought 3 new racks for the money I spent but hey ho that's my band. As long as they're postponed and not cancelled I don't mind. I don't want to go through that ticket anxiety again. I got really lucky on ticketmaster and ended up in the 4th row in Newcastle. 

elsewhere 18 Apr 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

There's something tonight, 7pm BST.

One World: Together At Home concert

YouTube, Facebook, Amazon Prime etc

Rolling Stones, Billie Eilish, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Jennifer Lopez, Chris Martin, Pharrell Williams, Rita Ora, Sam Smith, Elton John and Paul McCartney.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52333890

Blue Straggler 01 May 2020
In reply to Tobes:

Did you listen to the Mojave 3 session tracks I put up? I confess I have not got round to investigating her new band yet! 

Flinticus 01 May 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Managed to see King Creosote on 12 March in Glasgow. Last weekend before lockdown I think. Saw Teeth of the Sea in Feb. Both great gigs. Really glad I went to King Creosote as I was humming and hawing what with C19.

Have tickets for Pigs x 7. Originally scheduled early April, now postponed to Dec 2020. Hoping that will be viable.

PJD 02 May 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Have tickets for Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds tonight. Currently binge listening to Seeds, Grinderman and Birthday Party.

OP Sl@te Head 02 May 2020
In reply to PJD:

Got tickets for Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets next Friday...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...