New music?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 20 Apr 2020

How about some new music to keep us going? What  you got? Here's some of my recent favourites. 

I'm not a huge hip hop fan and don't like the da dada can't be bothered, mumbling rap style that's popular just now, but I really like this  youtube.com/watch?v=NTKUgPwZzcc& 

Some excellent indie rock  youtube.com/watch?v=U-Ti1v4w82k&

And the delightfully named Jockstrap  youtube.com/watch?v=oOXho8yVaKk&

Blue Straggler 20 Apr 2020
In reply to aln:

I have enjoyed hearing Jockstrap when they’ve been on the radio, I’ll have a more focused listen later, thanks for the reminder.

Lankyman 20 Apr 2020
In reply to aln:

That Mysterines video was filmed at New Brighton. Childhood memories .....

BnB 20 Apr 2020
In reply to aln:

This is a brand new band recently getting airtime on R1 and lots of offers to tour from established names. The lead singer's dad, who's a good mate of mine and a gifted multi-instrumentalist, recorded with the Fall, Paul Weller, Robert Plant, KT Tunstall, Inspiral Carpets, I am Kloot. Quite a roll-call. Father and son are both dashingly handsome. The band are all still at school as far as I know. Catch them early.

https://soundcloud.com/speedywunderground/sw034-the-lounge-society-generati...

Post edited at 19:44
 J Brown 20 Apr 2020
In reply to aln:

I've been enjoying Fontaines DC - generally short, fast, punky stuff.

In reply to aln:

> How about some new music to keep us going? What  you got?

Only my own to offer 

Listen to A Ordinance Ritual by The Secrets of Fauna on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretsoffauna/sets/a-ordinance-ritual

😃

Blue Straggler 21 Apr 2020
In reply to aln:

I remember hearing Lia from The Mysterines on 6Music (Steve Lamacq's Thursday "round robin" casually mentioning that she doesn't have many 1970s influences because even HER MUM was born in the 1980s. That was a good "how OLD are WE?" moment  

Sl@te Head 21 Apr 2020
In reply to aln:

The new album (The Bonny) by Gerry Cinnamon's worth a listen...

youtube.com/watch?v=OIfFJCfCiWg&

In reply to aln:

A friend of mine was awfully good and sent me this LP the other day. An amazing artist whom I'd never previously heard of: Du Blonde, Lung Bread For Daddy is https://open.spotify.com/album/3M4UkFekAN7lqjN9wiuMTR?si=GjweMKMgQL2H5QC6eH...

OP aln 22 Apr 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I remember hearing Lia from The Mysterines on 6Music (Steve Lamacq's Thursday "round robin" casually mentioning that she doesn't have many 1970s influences because even HER MUM was born in the 1980s. That was a good "how OLD are WE?" moment  

As I'm still interested in new music, and I'm old, I have those moments fairly often these days...

TomYoung 22 Apr 2020
In reply to J Brown:

Fontaines DC are fantastic, as are The Murder Capital which are a bit more shoegazey.

J Brown 23 Apr 2020
In reply to TomYoung:

I need to check out The Murder Capital - my brother-in-law saw them before the lockdown and really enjoyed it.  Cheers.

OP aln 23 Apr 2020
In reply to BnB:

I like that. Particularly liked the tempo changes.

Removed User 23 Apr 2020
In reply to BnB:

> This is a brand new band recently getting airtime on R1 and lots of offers to tour from established names. The lead singer's dad, who's a good mate of mine and a gifted multi-instrumentalist, recorded with the Fall, Paul Weller, Robert Plant, KT Tunstall, Inspiral Carpets, I am Kloot. Quite a roll-call. Father and son are both dashingly handsome. The band are all still at school as far as I know. Catch them early.

That's so Hebden Bridge

OP aln 23 Apr 2020
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

> That's so Hebden Bridge

What does that mean? 

alexm198 23 Apr 2020
In reply to aln:

If you're at all into electronic stuff I've been really enjoying the new Kelly Lee Owens track:  youtube.com/watch?v=29qMlvTXhZI&

RX-78 23 Apr 2020
In reply to alexm198:

Recently been listening to 2 French electronic albums. Pone ablum kate and me and Rone album tohu bohu.

Clarence 23 Apr 2020
In reply to aln:

Some Flanderscore from Okilly Dokilly.

youtube.com/watch?v=2BEvh6HSQc0&

TomYoung 24 Apr 2020
In reply to J Brown:

I've seen both this year, electric atmospheres at each one!

OP aln 24 Apr 2020
In reply to John Kelly:

I can imagine me sitting under palm trees watching a sunset, after a few cocktails, nodding my head to that. But a bit too 'lounge' for my tastes to listen to at home.

OP aln 24 Apr 2020
In reply to aln:

I'm enjoying the new one from Baxter Dury. I was a fan of his dad's stuff but haven't heard much of Baxter's output.  youtube.com/watch?v=x_x9tB2Qsyk&

BnB 24 Apr 2020
In reply to aln:

> I like that. Particularly liked the tempo changes.

Another of their songs is the backing to the latest 6Music advert. And they’re only 17 years old. Imagine!

OP aln 28 Apr 2020
In reply to aln:

A lullaby with odd lyrics  youtube.com/watch?v=LzHGYtIqLig&

malk 08 May 2020
In reply to aln:

more new electronica by nathan fake: youtube.com/watch?v=Xpw3MBuZkEs&

OP aln 12 May 2020
In reply to malk:

I enjoyed that. I have Hard Islands, which I like, and Drowning In A Sea Of Love, which I love. Saw him supporting Orbital 7/8 years ago and he was excellent. Live he had a harder, dancier sound, but still with trippy beauty, and sounded amazing through Orbital's sound system. But I haven't heard anything new from him for ages, so thanks for that. 

Bob Kemp 12 May 2020
In reply to OneBeardedWalker:

> A friend of mine was awfully good and sent me this LP the other day. An amazing artist whom I'd never previously heard of: Du Blonde, Lung Bread For Daddy is https://open.spotify.com/album/3M4UkFekAN7lqjN9wiuMTR?si=GjweMKMgQL2H5QC6eH...

She was previously Beth Jeans Houghton, and was very good, in a rather different direction. 

Blue Straggler 12 May 2020
In reply to aln:

Mentioned a few times on here and both bands/artists have been releasing stuff for at least 12 years but I am still listening lots to Haiku Salut (lovely "organic, warm" instrumental electronica) and Laura Gibson (singer songwriter)

OP aln 13 May 2020

Despite the lack of a link... I listened to Haiku Salut on their Bandcamp page.

> lovely "organic, warm" instrumental electronica 

They describe themselves as - Baroque-pop folktronic neo-classical something-or-other, which amused me. They were good in a background music kinda way, don't know if there's enough for a deeper listen. Did you listen to any more of Jockstrap?

In reply to aln:

Vague memories (if memory can be trusted) of seeing Haiku Salut years ago at Indie Tracks up in Derby.

Had totally forgotten about them. Cheers for reminding me 

Blue Straggler 13 May 2020
In reply to aln:

> Despite the lack of a link... 

Not particularly directing this at you aln, it’s a more general comment/question

WHAT is the obsession with whingeing in a slightly passive-aggressive way whenever a link isn’t provided? I genuinely don’t get it. I don’t think I’ve ever complained in the cases where something is totally simple to find with a basic search. 

MonkeyPuzzle 13 May 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> Only my own to offer 

> Listen to A Ordinance Ritual by The Secrets of Fauna on #SoundCloudhttps://soundcloud.com/thesecretsoffauna/sets/a-ordinance-ritual

> 😃

Hey man, I really like some of that. The edits are brutally short, which is really brave - I have a tendency to let tunes wank on for way too long and yours are much more effective for their brevity. V impressed.

OP aln 13 May 2020

> WHAT is the obsession with whingeing in a slightly passive-aggressive way whenever a link isn’t provided? 

I know you said not directed at me, but... I wasn't whingeing, it was meant as a kinda poke at myself, going back to a previous music thread where I commented on the lack of a link, and you pitched in. I never comment on it the way people do when they're arguing about politics or statistics or something, but I think when people are recommending music it's the least they can do. Good manners even, and I always do it myself. 

BTW, I don't know what passive/aggressive means.

Post edited at 20:30
 Ian W 13 May 2020
In reply to aln:

Not completely new, but try the interrupters

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+interrupters

and my new local faves, holy moly and the crackers

youtube.com/watch?v=tTPDSb3EV0c&

Blue Straggler 13 May 2020
In reply to aln:

I don’t like the way UKC embeds YouTube (I know I could copy and paste the URL) and I’m not always so keen on someone saying THIS is the track YOU must hear first, so I feel I am displaying GOOD manners by not “forcing” specific tracks on people. This can run the risk of them finding a weak or uncharacteristic track but I am happy to take that risk in preference to being too prescriptive. 

Further, I did notice in your OP that you named only one of the three bands. I don’t think it is good manners at all to expect people to just click on a YouTube link. You might say it makes no difference if you’ve described the genre and people didn’t know the band name anyway, and they’ll see it soon enough, but hey, “good manners” is obviously subjective.

Anyone that does not want to investigate something I recommend, on the grounds that I didn’t provide a link, is welcome to ignore it. I don’t care. But waffling on about it seems silly.

And what is it with half of UKC claiming that they don’t know what “passive-aggressive” means? It’s like it’s the new “I don’t have a television”! 

Post edited at 22:54
OP aln 13 May 2020

> I don’t like the way UKC embeds YouTube (I know I could copy and paste the URL) and I’m not always so keen on someone saying THIS is the track YOU must hear first, so I feel I am displaying GOOD manners by not “forcing” specific tracks on people. This can run the risk of them finding a weak or uncharacteristic track but I am happy to take that risk in preference to being too prescriptive. 

I don't know what you mean about embedding, but the rest of your points are fair enough.

> Further, I did notice in your OP that you named only one of the three bands. I don’t think it is good manners at all to expect people to just click on a YouTube link.

That's a good point and I accept it.

And what is it with half of UKC claiming that they don’t know what “passive-aggressive” means?

I really don't, UKC was the 1st time I saw the term and I've never heard anyone use it in conversation. And after reading explanations on the net I'm still not sure I understand the term. 

> I don’t like the way UKC embeds YouTube (I know I could copy and paste the URL)

I think that's entirely reasonable. They don't want you to go away. So when you close the embedded YouTube page, you're still with UKC.

Blue Straggler 14 May 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I know it's entirely reasonable, for the obvious reason that you state, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I was not criticising UKC. 

Post edited at 10:29
 LakesWinter 14 May 2020
In reply to aln:

New single from Cumbria based band Mylittlebrother

https://mylittlebrother.bandcamp.com/track/d-e-f

Quality!

mike reed 15 May 2020
In reply to aln:

Electronic genre  - 

Discovered the absolutely excellent album ‘Monsters’ by The Bower Brothers 

Unforscene - New World Order also has some input from them and is another top album. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...