NetFlix recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

The original Ghostbusters was exceptional ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

It has aged well. Even the characters smoking (which I'd forgot) made it somehow funnier.

I was going on to watch Hypernormalisation but that's not on there!

What to watch, then?

Something I can view in one hit would be ideal, ie not a series; I thank you.

In reply to Phantom Disliker:

Hypernormalisation is on BBCi so I'm set.

Blue Straggler 26 Mar 2021

> The original Ghostbusters was exceptional ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

> It has aged well. Even the characters smoking (which I'd forgot) made it somehow funnier.

Not to be some fuddy-duddy spoilsport (or "contrarian" which I was wrongly accused of being, recently!), unfortunately its treatment of women hasn't aged well. I like to think I can see things as "of their time" etc. (heck, I enjoyed National Lampoon's European Vacation, during a viewing two or three weeks ago, more than I ever did before), but Ghostbusters is just a bit too sketchy on this front. Venkman's first scene, abusing his ESP experiment and his position in the faculty, to try to set up a date with a college student....and later when Dana is possessed and he seizes the opportunity, that's basically rape. In a PG comedy. 

The rest of it has indeed aged pretty well. 

In reply to Blue Straggler:

I'm pretty sure he turns Dana down - who is clearly possessed.

It's an imaginative film. When Venkman was delivering the mild eclectic shocks to his love rival, I thought it was pretty funny; although as you point out, he was taking advantage of his position of trust and that is obviously to be frowned upon : (

Although a story without complicated characters would be somewhat grey. Even the stories I was told as a toddler were pretty dark!

Blue Straggler 26 Mar 2021

> I'm pretty sure he turns Dana down - who is clearly possessed.

Ah I may have misremembered, I thought he'd done a "take it while you can get it" kind of thing. Fair enough....but his behaviour toward her for THE REST OF THE FILM both before and afterward, is still iffy. 

yeti 27 Mar 2021

somehow i like the idea of eclectic shocks : )

though i quite enjoy electric shocks so i am weird

In reply to yeti:

Here's a mild eclectic shock...

jasonC abroad 27 Mar 2021

I'd recommend Dolemite Is My Name, it's about a black comedian (based on a true story) staring Eddie Murphy.
Not usually a fan of Eddie Murphy but he gives a great performance and shows why he was one of the best comedians of his generation

Blue Straggler 27 Mar 2021

> Here's a mild eclectic shock...

>

Meanwhile 

mike123 27 Mar 2021

> Here's a mild eclectic shock...

>

Very witty . Well done

MJAngry 28 Mar 2021

Watched 'Tag' last night, really funny film given its premise.

So many laughs... 

ablackett 28 Mar 2021

The Martian is good if you haven’t seen it.

Breaking Bad is the best series ever made.

65 28 Mar 2021

If you like witty French farce then I'd recommend "Call my Agent!" ('Dix pour cent' in its original French)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...