Mountaineer's Romance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 24 Apr 2020

A short silent film from 108 years ago, filmed around Dovedale. Free to view on the BFI online player. 

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-mountaineers-romance-1912-online

russellcampbell 24 Apr 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Just watched it. Very entertaining. Thanks for the link.

That’s hilarious! Thanks 😁

In reply to Vanessa Simmons:

Is it just me or was there a massive continuity error regarding which one of Jim and Ben had the stick and rope and knives and which one was ahead?! Despite their age difference they seemed interchangeable in monochrome with similar outfits and hats. Also an interesting lack of captions for such an old film .

And pretty impressive location shooting and action 

Post edited at 22:58

I didn't notice the continuity error but did you see how the plants on the window sill were obviously blowing in the breeze in the 'indoor' scenes? And the knot she used to tie in?!

In reply to Vanessa Simmons:

I did not, as I was concentrating on Nan’s 

awesomely coiffed hair and the resemblance of Myrtle to Adele Bethel 

Removed User 27 Apr 2020

Nan's a strong lass ,she pulls her brother up the crag and then drags two men out of the river with just the rope tied around her waist. Her sweetheart better watch out if he 'trifles with her emotions'.Entertaining little film and beautifully shot for the time.

Andy Hardy 27 Apr 2020

Never mind the continuity errors, they wrote Peaks!!!

Edit 4:02

Post edited at 12:36
 duchessofmalfi 27 Apr 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Ahhh I miss Dovedale...

Lankyman 27 Apr 2020

Damn Yankees - oversexed, overpaid and over here!!! I suppose what's missing is the accompanying dramatic piano plus the shocked oohs and aahs of the audience as the brazen hussy plants a kiss on the hapless guide (who doesn't seem too fussed about it to be honest). The magnification on those binos is awesome. I am glad they shook hands all round and forgot the attempted murder once the misunderstanding became clear. Saves a lot on lawyers fees.

Post edited at 15:11
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I did spot that but it seemed to ok in context ! As they hiked more than one hill...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...