May & June TV thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 11 May 2021

Picked up on a US drug crime series ,with season 4 just starting on the beeb: Snowfall. All back episodes are available for the next few months. I'm just a few episodes in but it's really excellent so far.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b0991bqd/snowfall

Sealwife 11 May 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

That looks interesting.

I recently watched Killing Escobar, a documentary about a group of mercenaries employed to kill Pablo Escobar, including interviews and footage.  Absolutely fascinating insight into a world I know nothing about.

Blue Straggler 11 May 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

I watched Lisa Kudrow's 2006 show "The Comeback", a mockumentary following a reality-TV show recording the attempted comeback of a former early 1990s sitcom star (Kudrow). They only made a single 13 episode season in 2005-6, with just one second season 9 years later (which I have not seen). 

It is absolutely brilliant, the epitome of "tragicomic": you laugh at first but then realise it's actually quite sad and bleak; and you realise how utterly vain, needy and deluded the Kudrow character is. It's surprisingly bold and does feel quite convincing. 

felt 11 May 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

We've just watched four seasons of Call My Agent! on Netflix. A French comedy about, er, agents in the film industry, it's well worth a look with some memorable characters and performances. A bit like Extras, the Ricky Gervais thing, in that every episode has a star (Huppert, Adjani, Reno and other luminaries I'd never come across) playing themselves and, as with Extras, not always portraying themselves in the best of lights. I only heard about it from a column in which Tamsin Greig said she was watching it, which made me think it must be good.

Tom Valentine 11 May 2021
In reply to felt:

I watched S1 simply because Audrey Fleurot was in it at some point. I inteneded to get back to it but never did.

Sean Kelly 11 May 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

Watched The Queen's Gambit on Netflix recently and thought it was brilliant. How can a film about chess be so good?

Removed User 11 May 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

The Babysitters Club on Netflix. Quality girl power for an age group usually targeted with pretty shallow choices. Some pretty remarkable young actors.

Attack on Titan. Complex zombie stuff.

An amazing documentary on long haul transport in Mauritania. Now there's a place you don't hear much about, amazing things going on and a long way outside the encroachment of westernization.

Forest Dump 11 May 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

Pretty good series 

felt 12 May 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> How can a film about chess be so good?

A film about anything can be good. I remember when the whole Kasparov-Short title match was shown on telly in 93. It was hugely compelling, all 81 shows, and I'm lousy at chess.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...