Mars

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stp 16 Feb 2018

Just started watching this National Geographic series on Mars. It's a mix of present day documentary footage and an imagined manned landing on Mars in 2033. It's been slated in some reviews because people don't like the mix but personally I think it works really well. The aim of the series seems to be to say that going to Mars will be a really positive thing, despite the risks and dangers - something with which I fully agree with.

The documentary footage includes interviews with various folk currently or previously involved in space exploration.

The special effects seem very well done and the technology is pretty much present day stuff using an existing Space-X ship design. The acting also seems fairly decent for TV.

A must see for anyone interested in space exploration (based on the first two episodes at least).

In reply to stp:

how did you view it? seems to be subscription only

OP stp 17 Feb 2018
In reply to JJ Krammerhead III:

Just found it on the internet. I think there's a second series though which I haven't seen and is possibly not out yet. This series is actually a couple of years old now.

In reply to stp:

cheers

OP stp 17 Feb 2018
In reply to wercat:

Erm, yeah it's a bit different to that one. No Brian Blessed and so far there's no climbing either... though they have gone down a 200m hole in the ground to live in a lava tube.

OP stp 19 Feb 2018
In reply to stp:

So I've watched all 6 episodes now and I thought this was a really great series. Essentially I think it's more of documentary but the imagined Mars landing and beyond envisioned in 2033 really helps visualise what the documentary is saying. It's not unbiased in terms of whether or not we should try to go to Mars. But it certainly doesn't glamorize it either. It looks at all the huge range of difficulties from the engineering of getting there, the political perspective and importance of success, living on Mars, and even the psychological issues faced by those going there.

It seems like the whole venture is, and has been, pushed by people who are total visionaries of this world.

Fascinating series, very insightful and highly recommended. 9/10.

Toby_W 20 Feb 2018
In reply to stp:

i watched this and was gripped, really enjoyed it.

cheers

toby

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...