Madonna

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Anyone else catch her on Graham Norton last night?

Why, just why?

I had to turn it off.

Postmanpat 15 Jun 2019
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> Anyone else catch her on Graham Norton last night?

> Why, just why?

> I had to turn it off.

Snap. Weird and ghastly.

Post edited at 08:02
 Mal Grey 15 Jun 2019

Very, very odd. 

Darron 15 Jun 2019

I think the problem was when Ian McKellen came on. She was no longer the centre of attention.

Removed User 15 Jun 2019

What the f### did you expect?

Removed User 15 Jun 2019

one of life's eternal mysteries, how someone can get so far with so little talent-she never could sing or dance and her recent outing at the Eurovision song contest was plain embarrassing. The one thing you can be sure of is that no one in her entourage would have "that was a pile of shit"

spartacus 16 Jun 2019
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

In the course of my career I met many famous people. Most were pleasant  and kind in there dealings with others. I found it interesting that a few could become so detached from reality when surrounded by an entourage who told them precisely what they wanted to hear. The power of this phenomenon to corrupt is incredibly strong. 

It always reminded me of the old adage about computer usage ‘you put crap in and crap comes out’. Madonna has clearly taken this to new levels. 

In reply to spartacus:

> In the course of my career I met many famous people. Most were pleasant  and kind in there dealings with others. I found it interesting that a few could become so detached from reality when surrounded by an entourage who told them precisely what they wanted to hear. The power of this phenomenon to corrupt is incredibly strong. 

> It always reminded me of the old adage about computer usage ‘you put crap in and crap comes out’. Madonna has clearly taken this to new levels. 

It is peculiar how Madge has gone. The single most important and successful female recording artist in history and the single most succesful individual outside a band (I think). Worth $100s millions. She has always been a rebel, a shock value persona, pushing the limits of the trade and pushing back the boundaries of females in music. But why be weird?  Why be unpleasant? 

She really has nothing left to prove and should be using her considerable influence to further the cause of young artists. She looked like she was sneering at everyone and that she didn't want to be there. 

plyometrics 16 Jun 2019

I’d warm to her more if she could actually sing. 

She did give the impression of being a bit surly.  However, I suspect that some of that might have been down to not thinking sufficiently about how she dressed, and worries related to what she was trying her best not to fall out of.

But otherwise, a bit of a miserable soul on an otherwise cheerful sofa.

T.

The New NickB 16 Jun 2019

> It is peculiar how Madge has gone. The single most important and successful female recording artist in history and the single most succesful individual outside a band (I think).

The first point is of course arguable and I would disagree. The latter two are just wrong, she isn’t the most successful woman and is about 6th on the all time solo artist list in terms of sales. Without googling, you might struggle to name most successful solo artist. Mainly because he isn’t popular in the UK, with good reason.

Clauso 16 Jun 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

>... Without googling, you might struggle to name most successful solo artist. Mainly because he isn’t popular in the UK, with good reason.

Please not Daniel O'SoddingDonnell? 

FreshSlate 16 Jun 2019

Michael Jackson?

Tom Last 16 Jun 2019
In reply to Clauso:

I’m guessing Julio Iglesias 

Luke90 16 Jun 2019
In reply to Tom Last:

I did Google it. Think more American.

Tom Last 16 Jun 2019
In reply to Luke90:

Oh dear, some dreadful country singer presumably? 

Ok, some of the details may be slightly out but the points after still stand.

Clauso 16 Jun 2019
In reply to Luke90:

> I did Google it. Think more American.

Tyson Fury?

felt 16 Jun 2019
In reply to Clauso:

Close.

He played for Tottenham and does some punditry for BBC Sport. Surprised me when I found out.

Clauso 16 Jun 2019
In reply to felt:

Ossie Ardiles?... Surely not Lineker?

Clauso 16 Jun 2019
In reply to felt:

Does his first name begin with the letters G and A?... 

Is it Gazza? 

Blue Straggler 01 Jul 2019

are people assuming Garth Brooks and ignoring Elvis Presley?

> The first point is of course arguable and I would disagree. The latter two are just wrong, she isn’t the most successful woman and is about 6th on the all time solo artist list in terms of sales. Without googling, you might struggle to name most successful solo artist. Mainly because he isn’t popular in the UK, with good reason.

Elvis is 'quite' popular in the UK

planetmarshall 01 Jul 2019

> Without googling, you might struggle to name most successful solo artist. Mainly because he isn’t popular in the UK, with good reason.

Rolf Harris?

Tom Valentine 01 Jul 2019
In reply to planetmarshall:

Not popular in the UK? Rolf had more UK number one hits than Bon Jovi, Springsteen, Amy Winehouse and even Shania Twain. And which other pop stars had a climbing move named after them?

Post edited at 12:17
 deepsoup 01 Jul 2019

> It is peculiar how Madge has gone. <snippage>  But why be weird?  Why be unpleasant? 

She hasn't become weird and unpleasant, she was always weird and unpleasant.  People just are sometimes, famous or otherwise, whatever they do for a living.  I really don't think there's any correlation with talent or whatever.

The New NickB 01 Jul 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> are people assuming Garth Brooks and ignoring Elvis Presley?

I’m not ignoring Elvis, who I assumed would be the biggest selling solo recording artist. It’s just that google disagrees with me.

deepsoup 01 Jul 2019
In reply to Tom Valentine:

There's a move named after Rolf?

> And which other pop stars had a climbing move named after them?

Elvis, again.  There's always the risk that a bad case of disco leg could escalate into a full Elvis!

Blue Straggler 01 Jul 2019

It seems that it depends upon which Google hit you choose and what your search terms are. The Independent and "Business Insider" seem to come at the top and they claim Brooks. Guinness and Wikipedia have Elvis way way ahead. Might be different definitions of record sales too. 

Tom Valentine 01 Jul 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

Perhaps it was just in my circles -certainly been guilty of it myself in moments of desperation. It meant reaching up and blindly scanning the rock with your hand in the hope it would land on a hold, the arm movement being reminiscent of Rolf's when he was liberally dousing  the upper part of a canvas with paint.

It's actually quite interesting to go back and read UKC forums about the man before his downfall . 

Post edited at 13:39
 The New NickB 01 Jul 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

That makes me feel slightly better about the world!

deepsoup 01 Jul 2019
In reply to Tom Valentine:

I'd never heard that one before, but it makes perfect sense.  And if you do think you've found a hold - heh, can you tell what it is yet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...