Mad God

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

For fans of animation and weirdness, check this out. Watched it on an overnight trans-Atlantic. 

Thank goodness I wasnt on mushrooms.

Shani 15 Jan 2023
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Jesus! I'm half way through it. Bleak, dystopian, apocalyptic, horror-steampunk. 🥴

Post edited at 12:35
 fire_munki 15 Jan 2023

Just watched the trailer and have to say: what the actual f***?

It looks weird and very dark.

In reply to fire_munki:

> Just watched the trailer and have to say: what the actual f***?

> It looks weird and very dark.

All of the above. The score is equally deranged.

In reply to Shani:

> Jesus! I'm half way through it. Bleak, dystopian, apocalyptic, horror-steampunk. 🥴

Im amazed Virgin had it on the movie list, its hardly mainstream. It was the only 18 rated too. Weird.

> Thank goodness I wasnt on mushrooms.

You're assuming this entire existence isn't one big hallucination

Shani 15 Jan 2023

> All of the above. The score is equally deranged.

The decent is increasingly weird. I got the impression that the 'god' was the religious fingernails-dude an hour in, who allowed our protagonist to continue his decent. 

Every statage of the journey is populated by the grotesque, characterised by traumatic suffering, and involves being eaten, opersted upon, or liquidised.

Incredibly dark!

Thanks for bringing it to my attention! 

....well, I just watched it. No idea what it was about but thought it was amazing nonetheless. Thanks for mentioning it.

TechnoJim 15 Jan 2023

Just watched the trailer, that looks amazing. Good tip, thanks.

wintertree 15 Jan 2023

Doesn't sound like my kind of movie.

I came here expecting a thread about one of my all-time favourite video games.

I'm surprised that it hasnt had more attention. It was created over a 30 year period by visual effects master Phil Tippet.

Cult status awaits amongst the crazy few.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/mad-god-movie-review-2022

Flinticus 16 Jan 2023

Read reviews and watched trailer when this was first released. 

Still waiting for a viewing opportunity!

In reply to pancakeandchips:

Welcome and for everyone else. I thought it might find a small fanbase here. 

Pray tell, where did you watch it from? I cant find it on Sky, Virgin, Netflix or Amazon...

Shani 16 Jan 2023

It's on Amazon Prime but you have to subscribe to their Shuffle animation channel (free 7-day trial).

Shani 16 Jan 2023

"...a microcosm of amoral scavengers who keep their motives to themselves and are always seconds away from being devoured and/or repurposed by the next derangoid to come along...

In all scenes, there’s a melancholic certainty that whatever comes next won’t be friendly or necessarily sensible beyond its basic self-serving function: as long as I can get mine, everyone/thing else can go to hell."

Great review capturing the essence of the film.

A stop-motion recommendation you may loke (not least for the 'Satan' scene):  youtube.com/watch?v=aNIHjvXIk-w&

Post edited at 09:07
 Enty 17 Jan 2023

I now have a dilemma. 

If I showed this to my daughter I know it would instantly become the greatest thing she's ever seen. That's if she hasn't already seen it.

She's nearly 17. I don't know what to do.

ThunderCat 17 Jan 2023

What's it on?  I've just watched a trailer on youtube and now I want to lie down in a quiet room with a cup of tea.

In reply to Enty:

> I now have a dilemma. 

> If I showed this to my daughter I know it would instantly become the greatest thing she's ever seen. That's if she hasn't already seen it.

> She's nearly 17. I don't know what to do.

> E 

Its not in the same league as a slasher horror, they are all clay (?) after all. It is difficult to categorise neatly but if your daughter likes stop-start, weird, animation, horror, eerie, bleak, dystopian then it covers some or all of these and more. Ive researched the film quite a bit since last week and many in the game just appreciate it for the quality of the art in itself, despite it being a difficult thing to understand and watch. She might find it utterly boring.

Some have tried to extract allegory from it and I can see that there is much to analyse and to attach elements to. However, the narrative, such that it is, is disjointed. It would make a great assignment for a media/film studies student.

Weirdly, I loved it for the Steampunk, the expanse and immersive qualities. In fact, I haven't thought about any other film since I watched this on Thursday, it had such an effect on me. A bit like Mother, or Blair Witch when they were first released. Granted, my perspective might have been altered by the onset of COVID, an overnight on a plane in the dark with everyone else asleep and a week's worth of jetlag so the brain might have been perfectly receptive to a weirdness hit. I will watch it again soon from the comfort of the couch to see if I enjoy it in the same way. I dont doubt it will become a cult classic.

Im even considering joining a local Steampunk society and joining a festival for the day - I love the clothing and vibe - (Im sure this will pass).

Post edited at 17:16
In reply to ThunderCat:

As per Shani, I checked on Amazon last night and it was there.

ThunderCat 17 Jan 2023

Ooohhhh... I think we might have got this for when the granddaughters stay over.... 

Euge 03 Feb 2023

I watched it and don't know what I think of it lol...

It is incredible animation and the initial descent is nuts! Stayed in my mind for ages afterwards. Keep meaning to watch it again now that I am over the WTF was that

Euge

cragtyke 03 Feb 2023

I watched the trailer for this, and the thing it reminded me of is the animation for City of Tiny Lites by Frank Zappa. It's pretty amazing for a 1970's plasticine animation and quite disturbing in it's own way.

youtube.com/watch?v=wtAWCPtLRcY&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...