Lucy makes me cry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 15 Mar 2023
Thread moved from Off Belay to Culture Bunker

That child is a miracle. Anyone else moved to tears?

girlymonkey 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I was out tonight so haven't watched it yet. I must make sure I do tomorrow 

MarkH55 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

me too

girlymonkey 16 Mar 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Just finished watching the final episode. I genuinely thought all of them were amazing. Lucy is truly incredible and what a great thing for her to be recognised like that. 

It still blows my mind that she can learn such complex pieces and perform them absolutely beautifully. What an amazing young woman. I loved that she was naming the other performers etc while playing, like they were all an important part of the experience for her too. 

OP Rog Wilko 17 Mar 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

I think both Lang Lang and Mika were genuinely in awe of Lucy and scarcely knew what to say. It was also amazing how she affected the other three. I know “stunned” and “stunning” are sadly overused words, but those boys looked genuinely stunned and trying hard not to cry as well. I don’t know what makes this event so emotionally affecting but I just can’t stop thinking about it.

It seems unlikely that there’s anyone reading this who is unaware of what we’re talking about, but you can see the Final and the rest of The Piano on Channel 4 catchup.

Post edited at 09:49
 gravy 17 Mar 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

"It seems unlikely that there’s anyone reading this who is unaware of what we’re talking about"

I'm living proof that there is someone unaware of what you're talking about

ThunderCat 17 Mar 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Piano?

I've not seen the show, but I heard a bit about her on Radio 4 yesterday afternoon.  A chap who works with kids with needs and tries to bring them out and introduce them to music.

Her piece that they played as an intro and outro was beautiful.

If I've got it wrong, then I'll slink away to another thread

Robert Durran 17 Mar 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> It seems unlikely that there’s anyone reading this who is unaware of what we’re talking about, but you can see the Final and the rest of The Piano on Channel 4 catchup.

Well I had to look it up. Slightly annoying OP for that reason (I assume that it explains the dislikes). Shall watch later.

graeme jackson 17 Mar 2023
In reply to gravy:

> "It seems unlikely that there’s anyone reading this who is unaware of what we’re talking about"

> I'm living proof that there is someone unaware of what you're talking about

I thought this was going to be about the tragic ending to the Scarlett Johansen movie. 

The New NickB 17 Mar 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> It seems unlikely that there’s anyone reading this who is unaware of what we’re talking about, but you can see the Final and the rest of The Piano on Channel 4 catchup.

The programme attracted 1m viewers and around 5m social media watches, so it seems likely that at least 90% of people will be unaware what you are talking about.

OP Rog Wilko 17 Mar 2023
In reply to The New NickB:

Sorry to one and all that I made false assumptions. Hope all the innocents will look it up and be moved. 

OP Rog Wilko 17 Mar 2023
In reply to ThunderCat:

It was Debussy’s Arabesque No 1. As you say, a sublime piece of music. It is apparently a difficult piece to pull off. I have a friend who is very good amateur player who plays it very well, but he confesses it pushes him.

ThunderCat 18 Mar 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Ta for that, I'll look it up and listen to it in its entirety.! 

Bottom Clinger 18 Mar 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Not watched it yet, but fully predict tears when I do. 

bpmclimb 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> It was Debussy’s Arabesque No 1. As you say, a sublime piece of music. It is apparently a difficult piece to pull off. I have a friend who is very good amateur player who plays it very well, but he confesses it pushes him.

It's all relative, I suppose, and arguably any piece is difficult to pull off to a high standard, but FWIW Arabesque 1 is pretty approachable compared to much of Debussy's piano music.

OP Rog Wilko 23 Mar 2023
In reply to bpmclimb:

As you say, depends on levels. I’m in no position to argue.

If you saw/heard Lucy, what did you think of the performance purely in itself, regardless of the performer?

Post edited at 10:14
 bpmclimb 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> If you saw/heard Lucy, what did you think of the performance purely in itself, regardless of the performer?

Interesting question. I thought the performance was quirky, a bit "non-standard" compared to, say, current recordings of the piece, but none the less for that, and completely engaging.

pasbury 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I'm a complete ignoramus when it comes to classical music, but I found myself riveted by her playing, she seemed to bring the music to life.

OP Rog Wilko 23 Mar 2023
In reply to pasbury:

She certainly had the full attention of the audience, not to mention the TV audience. I found it riveting.

In reply to Rog Wilko:

As I've said before her teacher is my partners nephew. Daniel is very talented guy who seeks nothing for himself. It's all about the music. Channel 4 are now making a programme about him and his teaching methods.

OP Rog Wilko 23 Mar 2023
In reply to Deleated bagger:

That's really good. I'll look out for it. As you say, he seems a really wonderful guy, who tried his best to keep out of the limelight during The Piano filming, all the more to gets us focused on Lucy (as if we weren't all mesmerised by her anyway!)

Eam1 25 Mar 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

A friend of mine was a contestant who had to follow Lucy, he says all the other pianists were crying too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...