Lovecraft Country

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stichtplate 19 Aug 2020

Just watching the first episode and really enjoying it. Great acting, writing and production values but the real selling point is that the entirely likeable main protagonists are ostensibly being pulled into dangerous and sinister supernatural territory while navigating the very real and very, very dangerous monsters inhabiting 1950's segregationist America.

Gripping and scary enough already without so much as a hint of anything going bump in the night. Really hope this series manages to maintain the quality of this first episode as I've not enjoyed something so much in ages.

Edit: an hour in and things have most definitely gone "Bump"

Post edited at 18:34
 Bobling 19 Aug 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

Saw this and as a lifelong fan of all things Cthulu I'm very excited, just got to pay up for some subscription which will let me see it.  No spoilers please!

Feels appropriate to link to one of my favourite Mythos youtube offerings - the Adventures of Lil Cthulu  youtube.com/watch?v=3kQuMVffbWA&

Tom Valentine 20 Aug 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

Quite a lot of stuff around with a similar period feel to it ( give or take a decade): Perry Mason is a lot better than I expected  and Penny Dreadful City of Angels is quite watchable.

Main interest at the moment, though, is the National Geographic production of Annie Proulx's "Barkskins", a frontier story which apparently spans two centuries. my only quibble is that all the French settlers talk to each other in English with French accents.

David Thewliss is excellent and the closest thing I've seen yet to an old fox walking on two legs (outside Beatrix Potter)

ThunderCat 20 Aug 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

Yeah, watched it on recommendation and enjoyed it.  I was only dimly aware of HP Lovecraft, might go dig out some of his books

toad 20 Aug 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

For lovecraft horrors try the bbc case of Charles dexter ward podcast series. Very unsettling

Tringa 20 Aug 2020
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Yeah, watched it on recommendation and enjoyed it.  I was only dimly aware of HP Lovecraft, might go dig out some of his books

Do dig out his books - one of the 20th century's best authors IMO. The Colour Out of Space is a good one to start with.

Dave

ThunderCat 20 Aug 2020
In reply to Tringa:

The missus assures me there are some in the box room...I'll go off on a hunt at lunchtime.  It's a mess in there...

Bob Kemp 20 Aug 2020
In reply to ThunderCat:

You might find some of the racist attitudes pretty abhorrent. I haven't watched it yet but that appears to be one of the things this series is trying to address. 

toad 20 Aug 2020
In reply to ThunderCat: the books are odd. Some definite racist and misogynist language. Some of the ideas are incredible, but it's hard to get past his "not very niceness". Some of the writing is also gratuitously turgid. But the ideas.... 

ThunderCat 20 Aug 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> You might find some of the racist attitudes pretty abhorrent. I haven't watched it yet but that appears to be one of the things this series is trying to address. 

That comes across pretty clearly in his wiki page, wasn't really aware of him being such a rampant homophobe, racist etc until I read it.

Still I guess I can separate that out from the actual stories, see them for what they are etc.

Post edited at 11:35
 seankenny 20 Aug 2020
In reply to Tringa:

> Do dig out his books - one of the 20th century's best authors IMO. The Colour Out of Space is a good one to start with.

Lovecraft isn't even one of the best authors of the 1920s! His prose is turgid, overblown and ridiculous, his ideas are not that great (oh the universe is run by a giant octopus), and the stories aren't even particularly scary.

In reply to seankenny:

Yes, there’s lots not to like with Lovecraft. Some of it is verging on unreadable, both from the attitudes on display, and the tiresome prose

and it’s not particularly scary, but then much of it is really more science fiction than horror, I think

some of it is very good though- The Colour out of Space, The Whisperer in Darkness, At the Mountains of Madness are all well worth a look (though if someone doesn’t like them, probably stop there...)

I also have a soft spot for the dreamlands stories, though I can see why they aren’t to everyone’s taste

and while he’s clearly a long way from being one of the greatest writers of the century, he’s certainly been an influential one

OP Stichtplate 21 Aug 2020
In reply to toad:

> For lovecraft horrors try the bbc case of Charles dexter ward podcast series. Very unsettling

Cheers, I'll dig it out.

If you're into Lovecraftian type horror stuff, The Laundry Files books by Charles Stross are very entertaining without taking themselves too seriously. Imagine Lovecraft crossed with the X Files but set in The Office. 

OP Stichtplate 21 Aug 2020
In reply to seankenny:

> Lovecraft isn't even one of the best authors of the 1920s! His prose is turgid, overblown and ridiculous, his ideas are not that great (oh the universe is run by a giant octopus), and the stories aren't even particularly scary.

I'd broadly agree, but for a lot of fans the appeal is the sheer oddness of the worlds he creates.

toad 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

I really like them. Read them after a reccomendation from here!

EarlyBird 21 Aug 2020
In reply to toad:

Those are good.

hokkyokusei 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

> ... Imagine Lovecraft crossed with the X Files but set in The Office. 

Geat description

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...