Lockdown gaming: essential recommendations!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stichtplate 18 Mar 2020

This morning we cancelled two weeks in Florida booked for next month. The kids had been counting down the days until they finally got to visit Mauschwitz and are understandably gutted. To take the sting out of this and the up and coming lock down, I've just bought an Xbox one. Years since we've had a console,  I've purchased a couple of likely looking titles for the kids (10 and 14) and the latest iterations of old favourites for myself (Halo and Fallout).... anything really special out there, including stuff from the last 5 years or so?

deacondeacon 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

The subscription based Gamepass is brilliant and has plenty to keep you busy. It's also really cheap for new xbox owners, 

toad 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

horizon zero dawn is brilliant, as is Red Dead Redemption 2

Rowlani 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

If you haven't played it Grand Theft Auto V is just amazing. Definitely not one for the kids though.

Wainers44 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

Twister?

Ok maybe slightly older and not that appropriate at the moment. 

lorentz 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

Don't think it's on Xbox but The Last of Us is perfect for these "End of Days" feeling times... Again. Not for the kids! Post  contagious disease apocalypse that turns people into fungally infected zombies, the plot revolves around a glimmer of hope for a cure and restoring humanity. Scavenging for material to make improvised weapons, medical supplies and food. Fighting off feral gangs and infected zombie types at various stages of decay. (It's a bit like going into a supermarket at the moment...) Great game though. Cinematic. Character development and plot. Action but combined with tactics in using resources wisely. Beautiful scenery that you'll need to fully explore to get the raw materials required to progress through the plot. Scary moments interspersed with moments of tranquil beauty. One of my favourite games ever.

OP Stichtplate 18 Mar 2020
In reply to lorentz:

> Don't think it's on Xbox but The Last of Us is perfect for these "End of Days" feeling times... Again. Not for the kids! Post  contagious disease apocalypse that turns people into fungally infected zombies, the plot revolves around a glimmer of hope for a cure and restoring humanity. Scavenging for material to make improvised weapons, medical supplies and food. Fighting off feral gangs and infected zombie types at various stages of decay. (It's a bit like going into a supermarket at the moment...) Great game though. Cinematic. Character development and plot. Action but combined with tactics in using resources wisely. Beautiful scenery that you'll need to fully explore to get the raw materials required to progress through the plot. Scary moments interspersed with moments of tranquil beauty. One of my favourite games ever.

Nah, not for me mate. I get enough of all that if I have to nip into Warrington.

marsbar 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

You may already know this but just in case, please be aware that internet consoles are a risk for grooming.  

Your kids should have learnt about this at school, but it's worth reminding them.  

I hope his doesn't seem like pissing on your chips, I think like any other risk in life it's about educating them to manage it.  I'm not at all saying don't let them play.  

In reply to marsbar:

We've both had the talk with them (more than once) I'm not doing online gaming and the Mrs is far more tech savvy than me and has put all sorts of checks and blocks on the family desk top as well as the eldest's phone. Cheers for the advice though.

Dax H 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

As Deacon said, Game pass and I'm going to add Game pass, Game pass, Game pass. 

It has all the Halo games, a few toom Raider, Forza 4, gta V and the game I'm currently playing the outer worlds. It's made by the guys who did the earlier fallout and though its not as open world as fallout it is very good indeed, its kind of a cross between fallout and mass effect. 

I'm also going to add Game pass one last time. 

marsbar 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

Great. I don't mean to preach, but I've been the one teaching it and I've heard some horrific stories.  

In reply to Dax H:

> As Deacon said, Game pass and I'm going to add Game pass, Game pass, Game pass. 

> It has all the Halo games, a few toom Raider, Forza 4, gta V and the game I'm currently playing the outer worlds. It's made by the guys who did the earlier fallout and though its not as open world as fallout it is very good indeed, its kind of a cross between fallout and mass effect. 

> I'm also going to add Game pass one last time. 

I'm gonna ease myself in. Then it looks like it'll be Game pass

Andy Farnell 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

The Doom series are excellent. You get to go from cutting edge early 90's scares to modern day blood and guts.

Andy F

In reply to Andy Farnell:

> The Doom series are excellent. You get to go from cutting edge early 90's scares to modern day blood and guts.

> Andy F

The new one was already on sale in Game today (2 days early) I guess they wanted it on the stands as soon as it landed in case of lock down. It was £50 though, so I went for a second hand 2016 variant for £8.

slutswood 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Andy Farnell:

new doom made the best hell on earth i've ever seen in a game.

Tringa 22 Mar 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

Some great electronic games, my favourites are Doom, MOHAA and CoD bur don't forget other games too - plenty of good card games, chess, backgammon, and lots of board games for all ages which are more inclusive.

Dave

aln 22 Mar 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

Another vote for Red Dead Redemption 2. Older games I LOVED the 1st two Fable games, the 1st two Mass Effect games. If you like story based stuff with decision making that effects the outcome, the Telltale games are good, Bat man and Gaurdians of the Galaxy are great.

lorentz 22 Mar 2020
In reply to Tringa:

> Some great electronic games, my favourites are Doom, MOHAA and CoD bur don't forget other games too - plenty of good card games, chess, backgammon, and lots of board games for all ages which are more inclusive.

> Dave

Anything but monopoly... Can you imagine the apoplectic family tantrums when they land on Park Lane with your 5 hotels on it!? Things could get extremely ugly. 

philhilo 22 Mar 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

I really enjoy Gears Of War, simple kill the aliens, no spells and skills. Plenty of different types of bad guys so tactics are required. Storylines aren't bad either with long campaigns. 

ClimberEd 22 Mar 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

Witcher 3,  (RPG)

Dark Souls 3 (RPG)

Witness (try it) (quirky puzzle game, no instructions at all)

Ori and the blind forest (mega classic platform)

Ori and the will of the wisps. (mega classic platform)

In reply to Stichtplate:

I dug out my old Sega Megadrive and installed a fingerboard. Every time I die in the game I have to get on the fingerboard, and every time I get hit in the game I have to do sit ups/ press ups; get to a continue? Planking!

I’m currently just playing around with the fingerboard as it’s new to me but it breaks up the game play and the training (It’s good for me as I have a super short attention sp... ooooh look a squirrel!

Post edited at 16:25
 angry pirate 22 Mar 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

Both me and #1 son (aged 10) are enjoying Star Wars Fallen Order at the mo.

RDR2 thirded as well.

I've still got an XBOX 360 attached to an old telly with a save file for Skyrim on that I never finished. Looks like I may get a chance to get some time in on it.

The Lemming 22 Mar 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

There are two Lara Croft games that are free to download and own outright on STEAM. The offer lasts only till Tuesday.

Post edited at 17:35
 Dax H 22 Mar 2020
In reply to ClimberEd:

> Witcher 3,  (RPG)

Cracking idea, I never finished it on the Ps4 and it's on Game pass on the Xbox now, time for a revisit. 

> Dark Souls 3 (RPG)

Calling Dark Souls 3 an RPG is a stretch, its more like repeatedly banging your head against the wall with your hands tied behind your back and rabid weasels hanging from your scrotum. Strangely though it's fun. 

xyz 22 Mar 2020

Sell the X-box and reinvest in a smart trainer , bike and Zwift subscription 😀😀🚴‍♀️🚴‍♀️

aln 23 Mar 2020
In reply to angry pirate:

> Both me and #1 son (aged 10) are enjoying Star Wars Fallen Order at the mo.

I played that with my 10yr old. Good game, really captures the feel of the Star Wars universe, but a bit short.

ClimberEd 23 Mar 2020
In reply to Dax H:

> Cracking idea, I never finished it on the Ps4 and it's on Game pass on the Xbox now, time for a revisit. 

> Calling Dark Souls 3 an RPG is a stretch, its more like repeatedly banging your head against the wall with your hands tied behind your back and rabid weasels hanging from your scrotum. Strangely though it's fun. 

Ha. Don't try their latest offering then. Sekiro Shadows Die Twice. About the only game I have given up on. It was so hard that it was simply boring

MonkeyPuzzle 23 Mar 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

Just bought a SNES Classic Mini with 21 games pre-installed. Mario World, Mario Kart, Zelda, Street Fighter 2, Metroid - I cannae wait man.

aln 23 Mar 2020
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

I bought my son one of them 2 Christmases ago. Obviously graphically they're not a patch on modern games but they're great fun. What was surprising was my sons reaction. 9 when I bought it and used to modern immersive 3d type games with stunning visuals, but he really enjoys a lot of the games on the SNES. Cannae beat a blast of button-mashing on SF2!

MonkeyPuzzle 23 Mar 2020
In reply to aln:

> I bought my son one of them 2 Christmases ago. Obviously graphically they're not a patch on modern games but they're great fun. What was surprising was my sons reaction. 9 when I bought it and used to modern immersive 3d type games with stunning visuals, but he really enjoys a lot of the games on the SNES. Cannae beat a blast of button-mashing on SF2!

Cue 12+ weeks of button-mashing and mutton-bashing.

angry pirate 23 Mar 2020
In reply to aln:

It was over pretty quickly but it seems they have not underestimated my desire to keep traipsing through the same levels finding boxes of ponchos and lightsaber parts!

aln 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

For youngers gamers the Spyro games are good. The full trilogy is available in a remastered version. Cute characters, a story line, tricky puzzles, and lovely worlds.

Reach>Talent 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

Doom 2016 is good but Doom Eternal absolutely blows it out of the water, probably a contender for the best first person shooter ever.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...