lifestyle climbing/mountaneering movies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LeeWood 07 Jan 2019

recommendations please ? movies in which the action is not center stage - rather the backdrop for romance or drama ( genre Eiger sanction - maybe ); the only film I know of this ilk was Five Days One Summer.

Blue Straggler 13 Jan 2019
In reply to LeeWood:

Are we allowed films that just have a small climbing scene in them like Captain Fantastic?

OP LeeWood 13 Jan 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

In absence of more comprehensive themed material - of course and in any case this film (which I didn't know) interests me - thanks ! I note parts of Valley Uprising have interesting lifestyle content but of course its a documentary.

And if the general lack of response genuinely matches dearth of such material - well thats interesting in itself: there are plenty of movies featuring the glamour of other sports (think surfing) but apparently climbing doesn't have the same sexy appeal ...

In reply to LeeWood:

I think it is harder to casually drop some climbing in, than it is to casually drop some some surfing in. Surfing ties into general hanging out at the beach, picking someone up on a coastal road trip etc.

I suppose in a way the opening scene of Mission impossible 2 meets your criterion. It has nothing to do with the main narrative .

In reply to LeeWood:

There is a 1940s melodrama called Three Secrets which features a mountain rescue of a young boy, sole survivor of a plane crash. We don’t see any climbing, it’s all described (quite accurately as it happens) by radio, and the main story is about which of three women is the boy’s biological mother as they all gave birth to a boy on the same day and all put their baby up for adoption. Good film actually 

Doug 13 Jan 2019

There's a French police TV series set in Hautes Alpes (French Alps - think Midsummer murders with mountains) where the lead character climbs & skis, see https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Hugo &/or https://www.france.tv/france-2/alex-hugo/

> We don’t see any climbing, it’s all described (quite accurately as it happens) by radio

they describe leading, placing gear (pitons), belaying and what happens in a leader fall. It is the most incongruously accurate depiction (even if only verbal) given that it is not an action film. 

Blue Straggler 14 Jan 2019
In reply to LeeWood:

A Breed Apart (Kathleen Turner, Rutger Hauer, Powers Boothe)

Blue Straggler 14 Jan 2019
In reply to LeeWood:

The Mission (Jeremy Irons, Robert DeNiro)

JLS 14 Jan 2019
In reply to LeeWood:

>" the backdrop for romance or drama"

The Mountain 1956

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049523/

Pbob 14 Jan 2019
In reply to LeeWood:

Vertical Limit is absolutely hilarious. Not very good though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...